Re: SSD performance

From: Luke Lonergan <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "david(at)lang(dot)hm" <david(at)lang(dot)hm>, "glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk" <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSD performance
Date: 2009-01-23 11:41:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

Why not simply plug your server into a UPS and get 10-20x the performance using the same approach (with OS IO cache)?

In fact, with the server it's more robust, as you don't have to transit several intervening physical devices to get to the RAM.

If you want a file interface, declare a RAMDISK.

Cheaper/faster/improved reliability.

- Luke