Re: Fork-based version of pgbench

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fork-based version of pgbench
Date: 2005-12-02 03:06:15
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> writes:
> "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> wrote
>> I've threaded it in Win32 ...

> Another thing is that if unix does fork() and windows does _beginthread(),
> then there will be some potential problem. For example, you have to be
> careful to add global variables ...

Yeah. I don't think this is too big a problem, though. The main thing
I had to give up in writing the fork-based version was the ability to
pass any detailed results back from the subprocesses to the parent.
As long as the code works under that constraint, it'll be fine in a
thread-based environment, AFAICS.