Re: .NET or Mono functions in PG

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .NET or Mono functions in PG
Date: 2007-12-01 16:23:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> James Mansion wrote:
>> Is that necessarily a problem?
> And yes, it would be the same as embedding Java. And it has been done
> with pl/java, so it can be done :)

It is also pretty well established that if pltcl or plperl cause the
backend to become multithreaded, things break horribly. I strongly
suspect that the only reason we've not seen similar reports about
other PLs that might introduce extra threads is that the market
penetration of other PLs is epsilon.