Re: BUG #1542: pg_dump seg fault

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andrew Slobodyanyk" <slob(at)ukr(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1542: pg_dump seg fault
Date: 2005-03-14 18:39:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Andrew Slobodyanyk" <slob(at)ukr(dot)net> writes:

> After power failure any operation with tbl_test return "ERROR: could not
> open relation 1663/17242/40429: No such file or directory". I try to get
> information from other tables, but with or without (after deleting that
> table) pg_dump crashes with seg. fault. Backtrace is:
> pg_dump: reading rewrite rules

> getRules (numRules=0x0) at pg_dump.c:3159
> 3159 ruleinfo[i].dobj.namespace =
> ruleinfo[i].ruletable->dobj.namespace;

Hmmm. What did you do to "delete that table" exactly? The crash
suggests that there is a row in pg_rewrite that links to a nonexistent
row in pg_class. It'd be better if pg_dump emitted a more useful
failure message, of course, but the real question is how did your
system catalogs get into such a state ...