Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bruno Almeida do Lago" <teolupus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Michael Adler'" <adler(at)pobox(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout
Date: 2005-02-23 18:37:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
"Bruno Almeida do Lago" <teolupus(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Is there a real limit for max_connections? Here we've an Oracle server with
> up to 1200 simultaneous conections over it!

[ shrug... ] If your machine has the beef to run 1200 simultaneous
queries, you can set max_connections to 1200.

The point of what you were quoting is that if you want to service
1200 concurrent users but you only expect maybe 100 simultaneously
active queries from them (and you have a database box that can only
service that many) then you want to put a connection pooler in
front of 100 backends, not try to start a backend for every user.

Oracle may handle this sort of thing differently, I dunno.