Re: effective_cache_size vs units

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_cache_size vs units
Date: 2007-01-03 15:33:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
You just proved the case for why the units shouldn't be case sensitive:

On Dec 30, 2006, at 6:36 PM, Andrew Hammond wrote:
> I agree. But perhaps the solution instead of failing is to throw a
> warning to the effect of "Not to be pedantic, but you said mb and
> millibits as a unit doesn't make sense in this context. Assuming you
> meant MB (MegaBits)." and then start up.

Do we really want people specifying effective_cache_size in *bits*,
mega or not? I think no.

To reply to Peter's comment, yes, bits would be useful if we ever
actually have any settings relating to network bandwidth. But that's
a really big IF. IF we do eventually decide to add such a setting, I
think it would make the most sense to spell out 'bits' in the unit.