Re: Get constrrelid for fk constraints that lost it

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Get constrrelid for fk constraints that lost it
Date: 2002-09-30 14:27:56
Lists: pgsql-patches

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> ... If the table doesn't exist or there
> aren't enough args to intuit a table name, it currently
> elog errors. Is that reasonable behavior, or should
> it be taking the constraint and letting it fail at
> runtime?

I was inclined to think it should take the constraint and let the
failure occur at runtime. A NOTICE would be okay but not an ERROR.
(We can tweak the RI triggers to make the runtime failure message be
more helpful than "Relation 0 not found".) ISTM the point of having
this hack is to allow old dump files to be loaded, and an ERROR would
get in the way of that.