Re: patch implementing the multi-argument aggregates (SOC project)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch implementing the multi-argument aggregates (SOC project)
Date: 2006-07-26 15:16:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
>> This patch is nowhere near ready for submission :-(. Most of the
>> comments seem to be "I don't know what to do here" ...

> Just to be clear, I think what Tom's saying it's not ready to be *applied*.
> Sending patches to this list early and often during development is generally
> encouraged.

Indeed, but if that was the point we should have been seeing drafts of
this patch long ago. I interpreted Sergey's submission as "getting this
in before feature freeze", and in that context the bar is higher. If a
patch isn't pretty nearly ready to be applied when the freeze deadline
arrives, we won't wait around for it.