Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Still more tweaking of git_changelog.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Still more tweaking of git_changelog.
Date: 2010-09-27 01:09:35
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I looked at doing that but it didn't seem like an improvement. Take
>> a look at the new version and see what you think.

> I'm not really sure. I suppose I'll have to play with it for a while
> to really form a clear opinion. Clearly, knowing which minor releases
> a commit is in is a major improvement, but the whole thing is so
> heavily re-engineered from my original version that I'm not really
> sure whether there's anything else that I care about that got broken
> in the process. In particular, I'm wondering to what extent we're
> baking in branch management conventions from which we may wish to
> depart at some point in the future.

If we ever start doing things like sub-branches it's likely to need
more work, but I suggest that that would have been true anyway.
I don't believe that the current version shows a different set of
commits from the original (other than endpoint bugs...).

> I maintain that if someone else whacked around one of your commits the
> way you whacked this around, you'd bite their head off.

I apologize if I offended you. I hadn't believed that there was any
particular consensus on how this script ought to behave; I thought
it was something you'd whipped up in an hour based on my request for
something like cvs2cl, and that making it work more like that would be
uncontroversial.