Re: Transaction aborts on syntax error.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrej Czapszys" <czapszys(at)comcast(dot)net>, "Gavin Sherry" <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction aborts on syntax error.
Date: 2004-02-13 14:50:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> It seems to me, that leaving all this to the client (which implicitly
> inserts savepoints) can never be as efficient as a serverside feature.

I think this is an overly narrow view of "efficiency". With client
control, the client can insert savepoints whereever it needs them,
which might not be for every statement. Savepoints that you don't
actually need are going to be a fairly expensive overhead, AFAICS.

Also, in the V3 protocol, sending along extra BEGIN and COMMIT commands
doesn't have to cost you any extra network round trips.