Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance
Date: 2002-09-23 13:41:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera kirjutas E, 23.09.2002 kell 10:30:
>> The former drops f1 from c, while the latter does not. It's
>> inconsistent.

> But this is what _should_ happen.

On what grounds do you claim that? I agree with Alvaro: it's
inconsistent to have ONLY produce different effects depending on
the order in which you issue the commands.

> It is quite unreasonable to expect that order of commands makes no
> difference.

Why?

I'll agree that it's not an overriding argument, but it is something
to shoot for if we can. And I'm not seeing the argument on the other
side.