Re: BUG #5168: cannot login to server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de, Abhishek <abhishek(dot)sawant111(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5168: cannot login to server
Date: 2009-11-05 15:34:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> That's not a standard location for PostgreSQL under Fedora. It could
> be some other RPM repository (which?) but if so the dependencies are
> broken, since otherwise it would've insisted on having the matching
> SSL libraries installed too. My suspicion is that this is a home-brew
> compile, but in any case the broad outline of the picture is clear:
> the SSL libraries are not installed where PostgreSQL can find them.

A local compile could not have generated an executable containing a
reference to a library that's not on the system. My bet is that the
OP installed an RPM that's not for this specific version of Fedora
(and used --nodeps to override rpm's complaints about the lack of
required libraries).

If you can't find a set of RPMs that exactly match your system, the
best bet would be to grab the source RPM (SRPM) and rebuild locally.
That should generate RPMs that match the library versions you have.

Another solution is to move to a version of Fedora that's still
maintained ...