Re: Runtime Problems

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Runtime Problems
Date: 2004-05-13 10:53:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
I said:
> Richard Luckhurst said:
>> Hello All
>>
>> I am quite new to pgsql and the Win32 port. I have just tried Vishal's
>> new guide to building
>> and I am having what looks like a path problem when I try to
>> initialise a database. I am using
>> Windows 2000. Everything builds and installs OK and I have copied the
>> files in the msys\1.0\local\pgsql
>> to my c:\pgsql folder as per the instructions. I have added
>> C:\pgsql\bin and c:\pgsql\lib to my path
>> as instructed. When I try to run initdb I get the following error
>>
>> initdb -D c:\pgsql\data -W --lc-collate=C

The clue is actually in these following 4 lines

>> Bad command or file name
>> fgets failure: No error
>> Bad command or file name
>> fgets failure: No error

For some reason, initdb has found postgres.exe in 2 locations but in both
cases has been unable to execute it, and consequently unable to read in
the version string.

That's a bit strange - I have no explanation for it right now.

The relevant code has just been refactored by Bruce as part of the
relocation stuff.

For now, I still recommend running from the installed path.

cheers

andrew