Re: [HACKERS] Insert into view

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "'Theo Kramer'" <theo(at)flame(dot)co(dot)za>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Insert into view
Date: 1999-11-30 15:07:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> I suppose that views could be made so that a tuple insert would fail,

I think Jan muttered something about emitting a warning notice for an
attempt to store into a table that has an ON SELECT DO INSTEAD rule but
no ON INSERT rule --- which would imply that you'll never be able to
see the data you're inserting.

This mistake has bitten enough people (including me ;-)) that it seems
a warning might be a good idea. I'm not sure if I want it to be a hard
error though. Are there any cases where it'd make sense to allow this?