Re: pgsql: Link postgres from all object files at once, to avoid the

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Link postgres from all object files at once, to avoid the
Date: 2008-02-26 02:21:34
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
petere(at)postgresql(dot)org (Peter Eisentraut) writes:
> Instead of partial linking into SUBSYS.o, the list of object files is
> assembled in objfiles.txt files that are expanded when the final
> linking is done.

BTW, why does this patch force objfiles.txt to be regenerated every time
any individual .o file is rebuilt?  Surely it need only depend on the
specific Makefile (and maybe Makefile.global).

I find the current behavior kind of annoying because the echo command
occupies more than a full window in some subdirectories (eg utils/adt),
making it necessary to scroll back to see whether one's recompile of a
couple of modified files generated any warnings.  If the dependencies
need to stay as they are, maybe we could avoid the annoyance by having
make not print the echo command.