Re: fork/exec patch: pre-CreateProcess finalization

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: "'Bruce Momjian '" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "''Jan Wieck ' '" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "'''''pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org' ' ' ' '" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fork/exec patch: pre-CreateProcess finalization
Date: 2004-01-09 05:09:22
Lists: pgsql-patches

Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com> writes:
> Just to be clear, this would involve turning the BackendList dlllist into an
> array in shared memory, right? If so, a couple of questions:

Per Jan's comment, there is no need to mess with the existing
datastructure. I'd think more of *copying* the dllist into some array
in shared memory. This is code that would only need to exist in the
Windows port.

> - the postmaster makes all calls referencing this list, with the exception
> of processCancelRequest, correct?

The postmaster writes the array (and really would have no need to read
it). Sub-postmasters would need to read the array, either to check an
incoming cancel request or to get the current-session key value to pass
back to the client. I don't think that PostgresMain or any subsidiary
routine would ever need to touch it.