Re: contrib features during beta period

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Marc Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib features during beta period
Date: 2002-08-30 16:06:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
> -- earthdistance, for instance, which has been with us for a long time.
>>
>> Actually, that seems to have just disappeared completely.  What the heck?
>> Marc, you're not physically removing stuff from CVS when you move it to
>> gborg, are you?

> I think Marc put earthdistance in a separate CVS module, i.e. separate
> from pgsql-server but included in the pgsql meta-module.

Hmm, you're right.  It appears that that setup does not actually work
very well.  I tried rm -rf contrib/earthdistance, after which I find
that "cvs update" does not bring back the earthdistance subdirectory;
it seems I have to do a full checkout to get back in sync.  I suppose
this is a CVS bug.  And it's one that worries me a lot more than the
annoyance that cvsweb won't show a merged view.  I wonder whether cvs
update would even notice changes inside the earthdistance module?