Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Explicitly bind gettext to the correct encoding on Windows.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Explicitly bind gettext to the correct encoding on Windows.
Date: 2009-01-22 23:27:47
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

mha(at)postgresql(dot)org (Magnus Hagander) writes:
> Explicitly bind gettext to the correct encoding on Windows.

I have a couple of objections to this patch. First, what happens if
it fails to find a matching table entry? (The existing answer is
"nothing", but that doesn't seem right.) Second and more critical,
it adds still another data structure that has to be maintained when
the list of encodings changes, and it doesn't even live in the same
file as any existing encoding-information table.

What makes more sense to me is to add a table to encnames.c that
provides the gettext name of every encoding that we support.