Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions
Date: 2005-05-31 21:05:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Jonah H. Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu> writes:
> I'm sure this has been thought of but was wondering whether anyone had
> discussed the allowance of run-time block size specifications at the
> tablespace level?

Can you produce any evidence whatsoever that this could be worth the cost?
Aside from the nontrivial development effort needed, there would be
runtime inefficiencies created --- for instance, inefficient use of
buffer pool storage because it'd no longer be true that any buffer could
hold any block.  Without some pretty compelling evidence, I wouldn't
even waste any time thinking about it ...