Re: quotes in SET grammar

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: quotes in SET grammar
Date: 2002-02-26 16:08:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> Possible cases look like

>   SET TIME ZONE 'pst8pdt';
>   SET TIME ZONE "pst8pdt";
>   SET DATESTYLE = "US","ISO";

> Is there any objection to allowing both single- and double-quoted
> strings in SET? Or should I remove the double-quoted variety altogether?

I think it would be best to disallow the double-quoted form.  If we
allow it, then we will have a backwards-compatibility problem should
we ever want to generalize SET to accept an expression (because
double-quoted things are identifiers, not literals).

However, I'm not sure *how* to disallow it without also disallowing
unquoted words (since ultimately the productions reduce to ColId,
and the lexer output doesn't distinguish quoted and unquoted
identifiers).  I don't think I want to go back to writing
	set whatever to 'on';
so I guess I'll have to just grin and bear it.

I agree that all the forms of SET should be consistent about what
kinds of quoted or unquoted words they will take.