Re: BUG #6166: configure from source fails with 'This platform is not thread-safe.' but was actually /tmp perms

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Soto <apsoto(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #6166: configure from source fails with 'This platform is not thread-safe.' but was actually /tmp perms
Date: 2011-08-17 23:32:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Alex Soto <apsoto(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Here's the section in the config.log in case it makes a difference

> configure:28808: ./conftest
> Could not create file in /tmp or
> Could not generate failure for create file in /tmp **
> exiting
> configure:28812: $? = 1
> configure: program exited with status 1

[ greps... ] Oh, that error is coming from src/test/thread/thread_test.c.

I wonder why we have that trying to write to /tmp at all, when all the
other transient junk generated by configure is in the current directory.
Bruce, do you have a good reason for doing it that way?

(The error message seems to be suffering from a bad case of copy-and-
paste-itis, too.)