Re: BUG #6651: macaddr length constraint violates standard

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: erlkonig(at)talisman(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6651: macaddr length constraint violates standard
Date: 2012-05-20 16:16:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On fre, 2012-05-18 at 19:57 +0000, erlkonig(at)talisman(dot)org wrote:
>> Given compatibility concerns, renaming
>> it is probably infeasible. However, being able to parameterize the
>> length, defaulting to 6 bytes, would be adequate.

> That could be a workable solution.

That's far more easily said than done, considering macaddr is a
fixed-length type with essentially no overhead info. I don't see a way
to do this at all without an on-disk compatibility break. Given the
number of requests so far (viz, one) it doesn't seem like something
we should expend much effort on. We might at some point consider
introducing a different type that could handle variable length data
... although it's not clear that text or bytea couldn't meet the
apparently limited need.