Re: psql & readline & win32

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Subject: Re: psql & readline & win32
Date: 2006-01-02 23:21:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane said:
> "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>> The readline home page at
>> says:
>> Readline is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU
>> General Public License, version 2. This means that if you want to use
>> Readline in a program that you release or distribute to anyone, the
>> program must be free software and have a GPL-compatible license.
>> Our BSD license is recognised as a GPL-compatible license.
> Whoever wrote that doesn't seem to have bothered to read the GPL.  The
> language of the GPL is exceedingly clear and specific:

The page links to this: which
lists the BSD licence without the advertising clause as a GPL-compatible
free software license, of which it says: "This means you can combine a
module which was released under that license with a GPL-covered module to
make one larger program."

So in the highly unlikely event that we were challenged by the FSF we could
point to that and say "we just did what your web site told us we could do."