Re: Solaris compile problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: karl(at)debisschop(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Solaris compile problem
Date: 2000-06-06 05:20:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)h00a0cc3b7988(dot)ne(dot)mediaone(dot)net> writes:
>> Can you say if libpq++ *ever* built on that platform? I'm guessing
>> that Solaris needs the same sort of hack that is present in libpq++'s
>> Makefile for irix5, ie set AR and LD to $(CXX). But if I'm right
>> then it'd never have worked...

> it did work in 6.4.2

OK, that's a useful datapoint.

> and ld does work in other parts of the make - it only fails in this one
> place.

Sure. I think the problem likely is that the stock "ld" on Solaris only
copes with C object files and not C++ object files. This only shows up
for libpq++ because we have no other C++ code in the distribution.

However, as far as I can tell from a quick scan through the CVS server,
6.4.* should've tried to use "ld" for libpq++ too. Could you rebuild
6.4.2 and see what the difference is in the build commands it uses?