Re: Script binaries renaming

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Script binaries renaming
Date: 2008-03-26 15:02:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Another option then might be to simply deprecate their use, and
> eventually get rid of them, instead of renaming them?

I'd like to get rid of ipcclean immediately; it hasn't had any usefulness
in years.

The issue is larger than the proposed patch addresses, though.
I see the following stuff installed in .../bin by CVS HEAD:

clusterdb initdb pg_resetxlog postmaster
createdb ipcclean pg_restore psql
createlang oid2name pg_standby reindexdb
createuser pg_config pgbench vacuumdb
dropdb pg_controldata pltcl_delmod vacuumlo
droplang pg_ctl pltcl_listmod
dropuser pg_dump pltcl_loadmod
ecpg pg_dumpall postgres

There's an awful lot of names here that don't have any obvious
connection to Postgres ...