Why is libcurses added to build by configure?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Why is libcurses added to build by configure?
Date: 1998-10-30 23:54:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Does anyone understand why configure.in wants to include libcurses in
$(LIBS) ? There is no program in the PostgreSQL distribution that uses
that library (at least, I could not find any reference to curses.h).

On HPUX 10, including libcurses causes problems because it defines a
select() routine that has nothing to do with the select() system call.
There is a hack in Makefile.hpux that gets around this (by linking -lc
ahead of the libraries chosen by configure), but that is going to cause
problems for supporting HPUX 10.01, because signal considerations demand
that -lBSD come first on that platform.

I would like to pull out the configure.in code that adds -lcurses to
LIBS, but I'm hesitant to do it at this late stage in the release cycle
without knowing why it was there in the first place. Did we use to have
a frontend that used curses, or something like that?