Re: Compile failure on nl_langinfo

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)ufgnet(dot)ufg(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compile failure on nl_langinfo
Date: 2004-07-31 15:24:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)ufgnet(dot)ufg(dot)br> writes:
> I am using an OpenBSD 3.5. OpenBSD doesn't have 'CODESET' symbol.
> How can we fix it?

> 1) just define it on configure.in when we don't have it. Like this:

You've got to be kidding.  That will cause get_encoding_from_locale to
return some random bit of information (whatever is mapped to zero),
with who-knows-what result.

A configure-time probe seems unnecessary anyway, since we can just do
"#ifdef CODESET" in initdb.c.  The real question is what we should do
if it isn't defined.  We can certainly make get_encoding_from_locale
return NULL, but it looks like initdb will behave moderately
unpleasantly if we do that (ie, force you to specify -E in most cases).
Is there any reasonable fallback behavior?