Re: 1600 column limit per table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Weber <j_weber(at)tcdi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 1600 column limit per table
Date: 2008-05-23 20:31:16
Lists: pgsql-admin
Mike Weber <j_weber(at)tcdi(dot)com> writes:
> I ran into the 1600 column upper bound in a table and I am trying to
> assess if I can work around the limit or if I am in need of a re-design
> of my application.

You need to redesign.  The 1600 limit has some slop (intentionally)
but not a lot of slop --- I think the hard maximum without breaking
compatibility with 8.1's on-disk format would be 1736.

Most people think that rows that wide are a sign of bad SQL design
anyway, which is why there's not been any interest in trying to
raise the limit.  Perhaps you could collapse multiple similar columns
into an array column?