Re: Socket problem using beta2 on Windows-XP

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>,Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Socket problem using beta2 on Windows-XP
Date: 2005-09-30 13:58:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> If it's two zombies per minute, then I bet it's the stat collector and
> stat bufferer.  They are restarted by the postmaster if not found to be
> running.

That would make some sense, because the stat processes need to set up new
sockets (for the pipe between them).  The autovacuum theory didn't hold
any water in my eyes because autovacuum doesn't create any new sockets.

However, why two zombies?  That would mean that the grandchild process
started, which should mean that the pipe was already created ...

Does Windows have any equivalent of strace whereby we could watch what's
happening during stats process launch?