Re: Dirty Buffer Writing [was Proposed LogWriter Scheme]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Curtis Faith" <curtis(at)galtair(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Pgsql-Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dirty Buffer Writing [was Proposed LogWriter Scheme]
Date: 2002-10-08 14:50:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Curtis Faith" <curtis(at)galtair(dot)com> writes:
> Do you not think this is a potential performance problem to be explored?

I agree that there's a problem if the kernel runs short of buffer space.
I am not sure whether that's really an issue in practical situations,
nor whether we can do much about it at the application level if it is
--- but by all means look for solutions if you are concerned.

(This is, BTW, one of the reasons for discouraging people from pushing
Postgres' shared buffer cache up to a large fraction of total RAM;
starving the kernel of disk buffers is just plain not a good idea.)