Re: 7.5 Plans

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.5 Plans
Date: 2003-11-27 05:23:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> 'k, but why can't that be accomplished with $Id$?

$Id$ isn't much better than $Header$ --- the point is to avoid keywords
that downstream people's CVS repositories will want to replace.

> Are there any caveats to the change?  Ie. if Tom has a checkout and this
> change is made, will he have problems committing?

Making the change will mean a big "cvs update" pass for everyone, but
no worse than what happens every time Bruce hits the copyright dates,
for example.  It's a one-line change in every file AFAICS.

I'd recommend giving committers a day or two's notice of the edit, same
as Bruce typically does for pgindent runs, but there's no reason to
consider it any worse than that.