Re: Are temp table really invisible for existing table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rahul_g(at)ip(dot)eth(dot)net, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are temp table really invisible for existing table
Date: 2001-08-03 14:47:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> but, when i try to create a new table (not temp) with the same name
> as that of name of temporary table recently created it gives me
> message as "the table already exists"

This is the intended behavior...

> should it be happened ?

Dunno. As things currently stand, the only thing we could do
differently is to automatically drop the temp table when we see a
regular create for the same name. (If we don't, the existence of
the temp table creates naming conflicts that will cause problems
for the regular create.) That doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

> * Is there any function to check the existance of temporary table,

Not at the moment. You might consider creating the temp table at the
start of a client session, and letting the function just assume that
it exists. (Once we implement schemas it should be possible to look
in the system catalogs to check existence of a temp table, but the
way it's done right now is a kluge that's not reflected in the
catalogs.)