Re: [INTERFACES] Case insensitive LIKE ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Moray McConnachie" <moray(dot)mcconnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: "Constantin Teodorescu" <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>, "PostgreSQL Interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Case insensitive LIKE ?
Date: 1999-10-31 17:29:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Moray McConnachie" <moray(dot)mcconnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
>> I would like to preserve also the SQL commands betwen versions and not
>> to fill my program with IF's ..

> Why not use Passthrough queries in Access/ODBC, which have pgsql do the SQL
> for them and therefore use pgsql's syntax?

I think he just would rather avoid depending on unportable features,
which is a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do.

However, AFAICS there isn't any direct notion of "case insensitive LIKE"
in SQL92, so he's going to have to depend on *something* that's not in
the spec.

What the spec seems to envision is that you get this result by attaching
a case-insensitive collation spec to the column you're going to do the
LIKE on --- in other words, the meaning of "foo LIKE 'bar'" depends on
the charset and collation attributes of the foo column. If you want
something other than what the column was set up to provide, tough
cookies. Seems a tad brain-dead to me. Anyway, there's no such concept
in Postgres, and I'll bet M$ doesn't do it exactly that way either...

regards, tom lane