Re: plperl arginfo

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
Subject: Re: plperl arginfo
Date: 2010-10-28 16:34:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On 10/28/2010 11:54 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> Alternatively, maybe the feature could be exposed in a way where you
>> don't actually calculate the values unless requested, ie provide some
>> sort of inquiry function instead of always precomputing a hash.
>> +1 .. some like get_function_info()

> Yeah, that looks doable.

BTW, maybe we could have the best of both worlds?  Dunno about Perl,
but in some languages it would be possible to instantiate the hash
only if it's actually touched.  Passing the data as a hash definitely
seems to fit with the spirit of things otherwise, so as long as it
didn't cost cycles when not needed, I'd be in favor of that API.