Re: Establishing remote connections is slow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Mindaugas Žakšauskas <mindas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Establishing remote connections is slow
Date: 2012-01-17 17:18:37
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Mindaugas akauskas<mindas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> The essence is that establishing remote connection takes anywhere
>> from 10 to 30 seconds. Once connected, the queries are fast

> The only time I've seen something similar, there was no reverse DNS
> entry to go from IP address to host name.  Adding that corrected the
> issue.  I would try that.

> If that fixes it, the questions would be whether PostgreSQL is doing
> an unnecessary reverse DNS lookup.

Having log_hostname off is supposed to prevent us from attempting a
reverse DNS lookup ... but it would be worth checking into whether one
is happening anyway.  (I would think though that such activity would
be visible in strace/truss output.  Perhaps you should turn log_hostname
*on* and verify that you see the lookup activity in strace that wasn't
there before.)