Re: 7.3.8 under FC3 takes excessive semaphores?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mark Cave-Ayland" <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3.8 under FC3 takes excessive semaphores?
Date: 2005-01-31 16:35:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mark Cave-Ayland" <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I'm trying to install a copy of PostgreSQL 7.3.8 on FC3 x86_64, and having a
> very strange problem with shared memory in that PostgreSQL seems to be
> taking far too many semaphores for the parameters in the postgresql.conf
> file.

Judging by the symptoms, you have built a version with what we now call
--disable-spinlocks; that is, it didn't figure out how to do assembly
TAS on your platform and fell back to using SysV semaphores for spinlocks.
Quite aside from the drain on semaphores, the performance is going to
be spectacularly bad, so you'd better fix that.