== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 20 2018 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 20 2018 ==
Date: 2018-05-20 20:58:28
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 20 2018 ==

PostgresConf South Africa 2018 will take place in Johannesburg on October 9, 2018
The Call for Papers is open through June 30, 2018.
https://postgresconf.org/conferences/SouthAfrica2018

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

psqlODBC 10.03.0000 released.
https://odbc.postgresql.org/docs/release.html

OmniDB 2.8, a browser-based database management tool, released.
https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/omnidb/

pgModeler 0.9.1, a data modeling tool designed for PostgreSQL, released.
https://pgmodeler.io/blog/2018/5/14/pgmodeler-091-is-finally-here

== PostgreSQL Jobs for May ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2018-05/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PGCon 2018 will take place in Ottawa on May 29 - June 1, 2018.
https://www.pgcon.org/2018/

Swiss PGDay 2018 will take place in Rapperswil (near Zurich) on June 29, 2018.
Registration is open through June 28, 2018.
http://www.pgday.ch/2018/

PGConf.Brazil 2018 will take place in São Paulo, Brazil on August 3-4 2018.
http://pgconf.com.br

PG Day France 2018 will take place in Marseille on June 26, 2018.
http://pgday.fr/

The Portland PostgreSQL Users Group will be holding a PGDay on September 10,
2018 in Portland, OR. The CfP is open at https://goo.gl/forms/E0CiUQGSZGMYwh922
https://pdx.postgresql.us/pdxpgday2018

PgConf Silicon Valley 2018 will be held in San Francisco on September 5-7, 2018.
The CfP is open until June 12th, Anywhere on Earth (AoE) (2018-06-12 23:59:59-12:00)
https://2018.postgresopen.org/callforpapers/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm EST5EDT. Please send English
language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian
language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Doc: fix minor release-note typo. Liudmila Mantrova Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/d13458be-c4b9-0fd8-f333-c8de4d0c9120@postgrespro.ru
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/60e2d9ab1437c8e4b12e7766198cf2e84f7d267e

- Fix type checking for support functions of parallel VARIADIC aggregates. The
impact of VARIADIC on the combine/serialize/deserialize support functions of
an aggregate wasn't thought through carefully. There is actually no impact,
because variadicity isn't passed through to these functions (and it doesn't
seem like it would need to be). However, lookup_agg_function was mistakenly
told to check things as though it were passed through. The net result was
that it was impossible to declare an aggregate that had both VARIADIC input
and parallelism support functions. In passing, fix a runtime check in
nodeAgg.c for the combine function's strictness to make its error message
agree with the creation-time check. The previous message was actually
backwards, and it doesn't seem like there's a good reason to have two versions
of this message text anyway. Back-patch to 9.6 where parallel aggregation was
introduced. Alexey Bashtanov; message fix by me Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/f86dde87-fef4-71eb-0480-62754aaca01b@imap.cc
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/05ca21b878a9e483a4635ba4b23e0f45d5442fc3

- Fix misprocessing of equivalence classes involving record_eq().
canonicalize_ec_expression() is supposed to agree with coerce_type() as to
whether a RelabelType should be inserted to make a subexpression be valid
input for the operators of a given opclass. However, it did the wrong thing
with named-composite-type inputs to record_eq(): it put in a RelabelType to
RECORDOID, which the parser doesn't. In some cases this was harmless because
all code paths involving a particular equivalence class did the same thing,
but in other cases this would result in failing to recognize a composite-type
expression as being a member of an equivalence class that it actually is a
member of. The most obvious bad effect was to fail to recognize that an index
on a composite column could provide the sort order needed for a mergejoin on
that column, as reported by Teodor Sigaev. I think there might be other,
subtler, cases that result in misoptimization. It also seems possible that an
unwanted RelabelType would sometimes get into an emitted plan --- but because
record_eq and friends don't examine the declared type of their input
expressions, that would not create any visible problems. To fix, just treat
RECORDOID as if it were a polymorphic type, which in some sense it is. We
might want to consider formalizing that a bit more someday, but for the moment
this seems to be the only place where an IsPolymorphicType() test ought to
include RECORDOID as well. This has been broken for a long time, so
back-patch to all supported branches. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/a6b22369-e3bf-4d49-f59d-0c41d3551e81@sigaev.ru
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a11b3bd37f14386310f25e89529bd3de8cd64383

- Detoast plpgsql variables if they might live across a transaction boundary.
Up to now, it's been safe for plpgsql to store TOAST pointers in its variables
because the ActiveSnapshot for whatever query called the plpgsql function will
surely protect such TOAST values from being vacuumed away, even if the owning
table rows are committed dead. With the introduction of procedures, that
assumption is no longer good in "non atomic" executions of plpgsql code. We
adopt the slightly brute-force solution of detoasting all TOAST pointers at
the time they are stored into variables, if we're in a non-atomic context,
just in case the owning row goes away. Some care is needed to avoid long-term
memory leaks, since plpgsql tends to run with CurrentMemoryContext pointing to
its call-lifespan context, but we shouldn't assume that no memory is leaked by
heap_tuple_fetch_attr. In plpgsql proper, we can do the detoasting work in
the "eval_mcontext". Most of the code thrashing here is due to the need to
add this capability to expandedrecord.c as well as plpgsql proper. In
expandedrecord.c, we can't assume that the caller's context is short-lived, so
make use of the short-term sub-context that was already invented for checking
domain constraints. In view of this repurposing, it seems good to rename that
variable and associated code from "domain_check_cxt" to "short_term_cxt".
Peter Eisentraut and Tom Lane Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/5AC06865.9050005@anastigmatix.net
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2efc924180f096070d684a712d6c162b6ae0a5e7

- Make numeric power() handle NaNs according to the modern POSIX spec. In
commit 6bdf1303b, we ensured that power()/^ for float8 would honor the NaN
behaviors specified by POSIX standards released in this century, ie NaN ^ 0 =
1 and 1 ^ NaN = 1. However, numeric_power() was not touched and continued to
follow the once-common behavior that every case involving NaN input produces
NaN. For consistency, let's switch the numeric behavior to the modern spec in
the same release that ensures that behavior for float8. (Note that while
6bdf1303b was initially back-patched, we later undid that, concluding that any
behavioral change should appear only in v11.) Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/10898.1526421338@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d1fc750b5199837a330c10d542191c8ab03a7dc8

- MSVC builds must use a separate stamp file for copying generated headers.
Commit bad51a49a tried to use a shortcut with just one stamp file recording
the actions of generating the pg_*_d.h headers and copying them to the
src/include/catalog/ directory. That doesn't work in all scenarios though, so
we must use two stamp files like the Makefiles do. John Naylor Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CANFyU944GdHr=puPbA78STnqr=8kgMrGF-VDHck6aO_-qNDALg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a194106c1b4468c74dbf6e83d845be86239844aa

- Small improvement for plpgsql regression test. Use DISCARD PLANS instead of a
reconnect to force reconstruction of a cached plan; this corresponds more
nearly to what people might actually do in practice.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7d5b403b8d418742b734f85fda32b0eca8ee4113

- Recognize that MSVC can support strtoll() and strtoull(). This is needed for
full support of "long long" variables in ecpg, but the previous patch for bug
#15080 (commits 51057feaa et al) missed it. In MSVC versions where the
functions don't exist under those names, we can nonetheless use _strtoi64()
and _strtoui64(). Like the previous patch, back-patch all the way. Dang Minh
Huong Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/151935568942.1461.14623890240535309745@wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f586f8638929b54de9e7f6b65fe6916b8cee38fe

- Add some test coverage for ecpg's "long long" support. This will only
actually exercise the "long long" code paths on platforms where "long" is 32
bits --- otherwise, the SQL bigint type maps to plain "long", and we will test
that code path instead. But that's probably sufficient coverage, and anyway
we weren't testing either code path before. Dang Minh Huong, tweaked a bit by
me Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/151935568942.1461.14623890240535309745@wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dbccdd375b41618ca4ee3d1ea7109ab7f95d0865

- Hot-fix ecpg regression test for missing ecpg_config.h inclusion. I don't
think this is really the best long-term answer, and in particular it doesn't
fix the pre-existing hazard in sqltypes.h. But for the moment let's just try
to make the buildfarm green again. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/151935568942.1461.14623890240535309745@wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5e79405d82992efce15c27694f10fb4e1ac32657

- Arrange to supply declarations for strtoll/strtoull if needed. Buildfarm
member dromedary is still unhappy about the recently-added ecpg "long long"
tests. The reason turns out to be that it includes "-ansi" in its CFLAGS, and
in their infinite wisdom Apple have decided to hide the declarations of
strtoll/strtoull in C89-compliant builds. (I find it pretty curious that they
hide those function declarations when you can nonetheless declare a "long
long" variable, but anyway that is their behavior, both on dromedary's
obsolete macOS version and the newest and shiniest.) As a result, gcc assumes
these functions return "int", leading naturally to wrong results. (Looking at
dromedary's past build results, it's evident that this problem also breaks
pg_strtouint64() on 32-bit platforms; but we evidently have no regression
tests that exercise that function with values above 32 bits.) To fix, supply
declarations for these functions when the platform provides the functions but
not the declarations, using the same type of mechanism as we use for some
other similar cases. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/151935568942.1461.14623890240535309745@wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a6228128fc48c222953dfd41fd438522a184054c

- Support platforms where strtoll/strtoull are spelled __strtoll/__strtoull.
Ancient HPUX, for one, does this. We hadn't noticed due to the lack of
regression tests that required a working strtoll. (I was slightly tempted to
remove the other historical spelling, strto[u]q, since it seems we have no
buildfarm members testing that case. But I refrained.) Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/151935568942.1461.14623890240535309745@wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/06f66cff9e0b93db81db1595156b2aff8ba1786e

- Assorted minor cleanups for bootstrap-data Perl scripts. FindDefinedSymbol
was intended to take an array of possible include paths, but it never actually
worked correctly for any but the first array element. Since there's no
use-case for more than one path anyway, let's just simplify this code and its
callers by redefining it as taking only one include path. Minor other
code-beautification without functional effects, except that in one place we
format the output as pgindent would do. John Naylor Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAJVSVGXM_n32hTTkircW4_K1LQFsJNb6xjs0pAP4QC0ZpyJfPQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e7a808f947c66e2e2186c9495359865dadaf511a

- printf("%lf") is not portable, so omit the "l". The "l" (ell) width spec
means something in the corresponding scanf usage, but not here. While modern
POSIX says that applying "l" to "f" and other floating format specs is a
no-op, SUSv2 says it's undefined. Buildfarm experience says that some old
compilers emit warnings about it, and at least one old stdio implementation
(mingw's "ANSI" option) actually produces wrong answers and/or crashes.
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/21670.1526769114@sss.pgh.pa.us Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/c085e1da-0d64-1c15-242d-c921f32e0d5c@dunslane.net
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c6e846446d17db40883eed91fa448e65333a0ae1

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- psql: have \d show FKs on partitioned tables. Commit 3de241dba86f missed to
update psql to display foreign keys on partitioned tables. Add that.
Reported-by: Amit Langote Author: Amit Langote Reviewed-by: Álvaro Herrera
https://postgr.es/m/a66879e5-636f-d4dd-b4a4-92bdca5a828f@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/93316299d6a185bed0a4be5376508fe2f7e6b2d6

- Don't allow partitioned index on foreign-table partitions. Creating indexes
on foreign tables is already forbidden, but local partitioned indexes (commit
8b08f7d4820f) forgot to check for them. Add a preliminary check to prevent
wasting time. Another school of thought says to allow the index to be created
if it's not a unique index; but it's possible to do better in the future
(enable indexing of foreign tables, somehow), so we avoid painting ourselves
in a corner by rejecting all cases, to avoid future grief (a.k.a. backward
incompatible changes). Reported-by: Arseny Sher Author: Amit Langote, Álvaro
Herrera Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/87sh71cakz.fsf@ars-thinkpad
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4eaa53727542c39cca71b80e8ff3e1f742d64452

Magnus Hagander pushed:

- Fix file paths in comments. Author: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fc2a41e23e10f2338be4907f71c277ea09526680

- Fix error message on short read of pg_control. Instead of saying "error:
success", indicate that we got a working read but it was too short.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cfb758b6d9c1df58fb1dfd5d3f6e70393fb17869

Bruce Momjian pushed:

- doc: update PG 11 release notes with suggested changes.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cf9c75ccea0bc15ce54c6fb017cd3edba03da743

- doc: clarify SCRAM channel binding. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20180514231020.GB1600@paquier.xyz Reviewed-by: Michael
Paquier
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/185f4f84d5952e5692bd2712dd32288fcbb7fa71

- docs: update PG 11 release notes based on feedback.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3122e320913db0288d0b96a7eb65401962c4781b

- doc: adjust Extended Query PG 11 release note item. Reported-by: Tatsuo
Ishii
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3b07f6dadb359e88c5a4b8375765d2c10d9eabce

- docs: PG 11 rel notes, 'ps' display/background worker item.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7a4a37542311720e0c4e47dc0e7a94254eaf47bf

- docs: add space in PG 11 release notes, huge/large. Reported-by: Tatsuo
Ishii
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6bd1b4c31b56b5d0bbd50c6df7f49c5812174a43

- doc: PG 11 release notes adjustments.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b2b82228ee5dc08f0341b5480546479c19e84baf

- doc: fix PG 11 attribution.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/91ff29f036349f07b4b48856667735e51ef795a1

Robert Haas pushed:

- Improve comment in get_partition_dispatch_recurse. David Rowley, reviewed by
Amit Langote, and revised a bit by me. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAKJS1f9yyimYyFzbHM4EwE+tkj4jvrHqSH0H4S4Kbas=UFpc9Q@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/09b12d52db1cf1a4c72d876f3fb6c9d06919e51a

- Pass the correct PlannerInfo to PlanForeignModify/PlanDirectModify.
Previously, we passed the toplevel PlannerInfo, but we actually want to pass
the relevant subroot. One problem with passing the toplevel PlannerInfo is
that the FDW which wants to push down an UPDATE or DELETE against a join won't
find the relevant joinrel there. As of commit
1bc0100d270e5bcc980a0629b8726a32a497e788, postgres_fdw tries to do exactly
this and can be made to fail an assertion as a result. It's possible that
this should be regarded as a bug fix and back-patched to earlier releases, but
for lack of a test case that fails in earlier releases, no back-patch for now.
Etsuro Fujita, reviewed by Amit Langote. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/5AF43E02.30000@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7fc7dac1a711d0dbd01d2daf6dc97d27d6c6409c

- Further adjust comment in get_partition_dispatch_recurse. In editing
09b12d52db1cf1a4c72d876f3fb6c9d06919e51a I made it wrong; fix that and try to
more clearly explain the situation. Patch by me, reviewed by David Rowley and
Amit Langote Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmobAq+mA5hzm0a5OS38qQY5758DDDGqa3sBJN4hvir-H9w@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b949bbcb7eaf3719b541cbae99ef6c4b031174a1

Andrew Gierth pushed:

- doc: fix description of backward_scan. The description of the index property
backward_scan was incorrect and misleading; rectify. Backpatch to 9.6 where
the amutils functionality was introduced.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/93f6c6328dcf74d1e42162e8f712c23fe16a8cf8

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Message wording and pluralization improvements.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9effb63e0dd12b0704cd8e11106fe08ff5c9d685

- Fix whitespace.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6b30d1386fa37d8ae45e2d30e22771244afd13c3

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Prevent possibly spurious error when running perl -cw.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3dacd9bf32873c80045a2b758d64c031d70dac83

Stephen Frost pushed:

- Fix for globals.c- c.h must come first. Commit da9b580 mistakenly put a
system header before postgres.h (which includes c.h). That can cause
portability issues and broke (at least) builds with older Windows compilers.
Discovered by Mark Dilger. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/BF04A27A-D132-4927-A80A-BAD18695E954@gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e2b83ff556deb9a0001bdf6b511f8cfc9189ac10

== Pending Patches ==

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to ensure that temporary WAL segments files are
cleaned up after an instance crash.

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to fix a bug that manifested as a PANIC during
crash recovery of a recently promoted standby.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in another revision of a patch to improve the patition
matching algorithm for partition-wise joins.

Simon Muller sent in a patch to enable COPY ... TO to emit a HEADER row in
formats other than CSV.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in three more revisions of a patch to fix a bug which
manifested as expression errors with "FOR UPDATE" and postgres_fdw with
partition wise join enabled.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to allow a wait event set
to be registered to a resource owner, add infrastructure for asynchronous
execution, and use same in the PostgreSQL FDW.

Michaël Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to extend lookup routines
for FDW and foreign server with NULL handling, refactor the routines for
subscription and publication lookups, and eliminate user-visible cache lookup
errors for objaddr SQL functions.

David Rowley sent in a patch to ensure that total_pages is calculated after
partition pruning and constraint exclusion.

Nikita Glukhov sent in a patch to disable backward scans on indices that do not
support it.

Takeshi Ideriha sent in a patch to ensure that log_min_messages shows log level
DEBUG2 correctly.

Aleksandr Parfenov sent in another revision of a patch to optimze usage of
immutable functions as relations.

Konstantin Knizhnik sent in another revision of a patch to add a compression
option to libpq.

Heikki Linnakangas sent in a patch to improve memory unit GUC range checks.

Artur Zakirov sent in another revision of a patch to implement shared Ispell
dictionaries.

Alexander Kuzmenkov sent in a patch to remove unneeded self-joins.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to normalize the spelling of things around
partitioning, in particular changing things that say "partition" to
"partitioned" where that makes sense.

Daisuke Higuchi sent in a patch to fix an issue that manifested as cancellation
of significant digits in ECPG.

Andrey Borodin sent in another revision of a patch to include GiST in VACUUM.

Paul and Richard Guo sent in a patch to fix a pg_upgrade test failure.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to reject an invalid standby.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to propagate child joinrels to parent root.

Paul Guo sent in two revisions of a patch to use access() instead of
BasicOpenFile() + close() to check file existence in GetNewRelFileNode().

Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch to allow functions and procedures with the same
name.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to fix pg_logical replication slot advance.

Sho Kato sent in a patch to add the operation of freeing output SQLDA to the
ECPG documentation.

Michael Banck sent in a patch to remove the short (-k) option from
pg_basebackup, leaving in place the longer version, --no-verify-checksums.

Andres Freund sent in a patch to fix some issues that arise in corner case
failures of fsync().

John Naylor sent in two revisions of a patch to add a pg_language lookup and
replace the /ad hoc/ format for conversion functions with a more uniform one.

John Naylor sent in a patch to generate bootstrap entries for array types.

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to fix some error handling for read() and errno.

Andrew Gierth sent in two revisions of a patch to fix some FETCH FIRST syntax
issues.