== PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 22 2018 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 22 2018 ==
Date: 2018-04-22 18:24:33
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 22 2018 ==

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

Pgpool-II 3.7.3, 3.6.10, 3.5.14, 3.4.17, and 3.3.21 released.
http://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/release.html

== PostgreSQL Jobs for April ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2018-04/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PGConfNepal 2018 will be held May 4-5, 2018 at Kathmandu University, Dhulikhel,
Nepal.
https://postgresconf.org/conferences/Nepal2018

PGCon 2018 will take place in Ottawa on May 29 - June 1, 2018.
https://www.pgcon.org/2018/

Swiss PGDay 2018 will take place in Rapperswil (near Zurich) on June 29, 2018.
The CfP is open through April 14, 2018, and registration is open through June
28, 2018.
http://www.pgday.ch/2018/

PGConf.Brazil 2018 will take place in São Paulo, Brazil on August 3-4 2018.
http://pgconf.com.br

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm EST5EDT. Please send English
language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian
language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Ignore whole-rows in INSERT/CONFLICT with partitioned tables. We had an
Assert() preventing whole-row expressions from being used in the SET clause of
INSERT ON CONFLICT, but it seems unnecessary, given some tests, so remove it.
Add a new test to exercise the case. Still at ExecInitPartitionInfo, we used
map_partition_varattnos (which constructs an attribute map, then calls
map_variable_attnos) using the same two relations many times in different
expressions and with different parameters. Constructing the map over and over
is a waste. To avoid this repeated work, construct the map once, and use
map_variable_attnos() directly instead. Author: Amit Langote, per comments by
me (Álvaro) Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20180326142016.m4st5e34chrzrknk@alvherre.pgsql
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/158b7bc6d77948d2f474dc9f2777c87f81d1365a

- Update expected output of new test. Forgot to 'git add' the file after
tweaking the test as submitted :-( Per buildfarm
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/22ff2b8583b2580d8b423939a658fcd1d38741b4

- Restore partition_prune's usage of parallel workers. This reverts commit
4d0f6d3f207d ("Attempt to stabilize partition_prune test output (2)"), and
attempts to stabilize the test by using string replacement to hide any loop
count difference in parallel nodes. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/4475.1523628300@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/47c91b55991883322fdbc4495ce7fe6b2166e8fe

- Improve coverage of nodeAppend runtime partition prune. coverage report
indicated that mark_invalid_subplans_as_finished() and nearby code was not
getting exercised by any tests. Add a new one which has execution-time Params
rather than only external Params to fix this. In passing, David noticed that
ab_q6 tests were not actually required to have a generic plan. The tests were
testing exec Params not external Params, so there was no need for the PREPARE.
Remove the PREPARE, making these plain queries. (The new queries are called
from explain_parallel_append, which may be unnecessary since they don't
actually have a Parallel Append node, just an Append. But it doesn't seem to
hurt anything, either.) Author: David Rowley Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAKJS1f--hopb6JBSDY4wiXTS3ZcDp-wparXjTQ1nzNdBa04Fog@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/95cdc77b35ece28137b8dec8c6f9b5474b215624

- Update Append's idea of first_partial_plan. It turns out that after runtime
partition pruning, Append's first_partial_plan does not accurately represent
partial plans to run, if any of those got pruned. This could limit
participation of workers in some partial subplans, if other subplans got
pruned. Fix it by keeping an index of the first valid partial subplan in the
state node, determined at execnode Init time. Author: David Rowley, with
cosmetic changes by me. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAKJS1f8o2Yd=rOP=Et3A0FWgF+gSAOkFSU6eNhnGzTPV7nN8sQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b7e2cbc5b49fbab5bc286b9e4cd4062a6703e7a7

- Enlarge find_other_exec's meager fgets buffer. The buffer was 100 bytes long,
which is barely sufficient when the version string gets longer (such as by
configure --with-extra-version). Set it to MAXPGPATH. Author: Nikhil
Sontakke Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAMGcDxfLfpYU_Jru++L6ARPCOyxr0W+2O3Q54TDi5XdYeU36ow@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cea5f9aa1244a6a803481f7e21a86e7e7037a9a5

- Rework code to determine partition pruning procedure. Amit Langote reported
that partition prune was unable to work with arrays, enums, etc, which led him
to research the appropriate way to match query clauses to partition keys:
instead of searching for an exact match of the expression's type, it is better
to rely on the fact that the expression qual has already been resolved to a
specific operator, and that the partition key is linked to a specific operator
family. With that info, it's possible to figure out the strategy and
comparison function to use for the pruning clause in a manner that works
reliably for pseudo-types also. Include new test cases that demonstrate
pruning where pseudotypes are involved. Author: Amit Langote, Álvaro Herrera
https://postgr.es/m/2b02f1e9-9812-9c41-972d-517bdc0f815d@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e5dcbb88a15d445e0ccb3db3194f4a122b792df6

- Plural of modulus is moduli.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2d625176c013ed185250aab3f8a1d175d81d4f3b

- Remove quick path in ExecInitPartitionInfo for equal tupdescs. I added this
"optimization" on top of Amit Langote's 158b7bc6d779, but the quick path is
never taken because the partition uses a different pg_type oid than its parent
table (causing equalTupleDescs to return false). Changing that requires more
analysis and is too considered dangerous at this point in the cycle, so revert
it. We might make it work someday, but not for pg11. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/825031be-942c-8c24-6163-13c27f217a3d@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/79b2e52615faa768d8436c1795e445541460e9d2

Tom Lane pushed:

- Fix broken collation-aware searches in SP-GiST text opclass.
spg_text_leaf_consistent() supposed that it should compare only Min(querylen,
entrylen) bytes of the two strings, and then deal with any excess bytes in one
string or the other by assuming the longer string is greater if the prefixes
are equal. Quite aside from the fact that that's just wrong in some locales
(e.g., 'ch' is not less than 'd' in cs_CZ), it also risked passing incomplete
multibyte characters to strcoll(), with ensuing bad results. Instead, just
pass the full strings to varstr_cmp, and let it decide what to do about
unequal-length strings. Fortunately, this error doesn't imply any index
corruption, it's just that searches might return the wrong set of entries.
Per report from Emre Hasegeli, though this is not his patch. Thanks to Peter
Geoghegan for review and discussion. This code was born broken, so back-patch
to all supported branches. In HEAD, I failed to resist the temptation to do a
bit of cosmetic cleanup/pgindent'ing on 710d90da1, too. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAE2gYzzb6K51VnTq5i5p52z+j9p2duEa-K1T3RrC_GQEynAKEg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b15e8f71dbf00eb18d9076302f39aa981355eb07

- Rationalize handling of array type names in bootstrap data. Formerly,
Catalog.pm turned a C array type declaration in the catalog header files into
a SQL type, e.g., 'foo[]'. Along the way, genbki.pl turned this into '_foo'
for the purpose of type lookups, but wrote 'foo[]' to postgres.bki. During
bootstrap, bootscanner.l had to have a special case rule to tokenize this, and
then MapArrayTypeName() would turn 'foo[]' into '_foo' one more time. This
seems unnecessarily complicated, especially since nobody cares that much about
the readability of postgres.bki. Instead, make Catalog.pm convert the C
declaration into '_foo' to start with, and preserve that representation of the
type name throughout bootstrap data processing. Then rip out the special-case
code in bootscanner.l and bootstrap.c. This changes postgres.bki to the
extent that array fields are now declared like proconfig = _text , rather than
proconfig = text[] , No documentation update, since the SGML docs didn't
mention any of this in the first place, and it's all pretty transparent to
writers of catalog header files anyway. John Naylor Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAJVSVGUNao=-Q2-vAN3PYcdF5tnL5JAHwGwzZGuYHtq+Mk_9ng@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9ffcccdb958d38db5051bf64143330ff445a26cc

- Simplify genbki.pl's data quoting rules. During the bootstrap data format
conversion, it seemed important for verifiability's sake that the generated
postgres.bki file stayed the same as before. That resulted in adding a bunch
of ad-hoc rules about when to quote emitted data values, to match previous
manual decisions that had often quoted values unnecessarily. Now that the
conversion is complete, it seems fine to remove all those ad-hoc rules. The
net actual effect on the current contents of postgres.bki is that some fields
that had been quoted despite containing only digits or only "-" lose their
unnecessary quotes. Also, now that genbki.pl will always quote values
containing a backslash, there's no need for bootscanner.l to allow unquoted
octal escapes; so simplify its production for "id" by removing that
possibility. John Naylor, slightly modified by me Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAJVSVGUNao=-Q2-vAN3PYcdF5tnL5JAHwGwzZGuYHtq+Mk_9ng@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e90d4ddc639aac7a7217ebc670ad6e49eaeddbf9

- Rationalize handling of single and double quotes in bootstrap data. Change
things around so that proper quoting of values interpolated into the BKI data
by initdb is the responsibility of initdb, not something we half-heartedly
handle by putting double quotes into the raw BKI data. (Note: experimentation
shows that it still doesn't work to put a double quote into the initial
superuser username, but that's the fault of inadequate quoting while
interpolating the name into SQL scripts; the BKI aspect of it works fine now.)
Having done that, we can remove the special-case handling of values that look
like "something" from genbki.pl, and instead teach it to escape double --- and
single --- quotes properly. This removes the nowhere-documented need to treat
those specially in the BKI source data; whatever you write will be passed
through unchanged into the inserted data value, modulo Perl's rules about
single-quoted strings. Add documentation explaining the (pre-existing)
handling of backslashes in the BKI data. Per an earlier discussion with John
Naylor. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAJVSVGUNao=-Q2-vAN3PYcdF5tnL5JAHwGwzZGuYHtq+Mk_9ng@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/55d26ff638f063fbccf57843f2c27f9795895a5c

- Better fix for deadlock hazard in CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY. Commit 54eff5311
did not account for the possibility that we'd have a transaction snapshot due
to default_transaction_isolation being set high enough to require one. The
transaction snapshot is enough to hold back our advertised xmin and thus risk
deadlock anyway. The only way to get rid of that snap is to start a new
transaction, so let's do that instead. Also throw in an assert checking that
we really have gotten to a state where no xmin is being advertised.
Back-patch to 9.4, like the previous commit. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAMkU=1ztk3TpQdcUNbxq93pc80FrXUjpDWLGMeVBDx71GHNwZQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1dec82068b3b59b621e6b04040c150241f5060f3

- Improve error detection/reporting in Catalog.pm and genbki.pl. Clean up error
messages relating to mistakes in .dat files: make sure they provide the .dat
file name and line number, not the place in the Perl script that's reporting
the problem. Adopt more uniform message phrasing, too. Make genbki.pl spit
up on unrecognized field names in the input hashes. Previously, it just
silently ignored such fields, which could make a misspelled field name into a
very hard-to-decipher problem. (This is in genbki.pl, *not* Catalog.pm,
because we don't want reformat_dat_file.pl to complain about unrecognized
fields. We'd rather it silently dropped them, to facilitate removing unwanted
fields after a reorganization.)
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5372c2c84135be99e8df921ff228df6e7b4d3c8d

- Fix incorrect handling of join clauses pushed into parameterized paths. In
some cases a clause attached to an outer join can be pushed down into the
outer join's RHS even though the clause is not degenerate --- this can happen
if we choose to make a parameterized path for the RHS. If the clause ends up
attached to a lower outer join, we'd misclassify it as being a "join filter"
not a plain "filter" condition at that node, leading to wrong query results.
To fix, teach extract_actual_join_clauses to examine each join clause's
required_relids, not just its is_pushed_down flag. (The latter now seems
vestigial, or at least in need of rethinking, but we won't do anything so
invasive as redefining it in a bug-fix patch.) This has been wrong since we
introduced parameterized paths in 9.2, though it's evidently hard to hit given
the lack of previous reports. The test case used here involves a lateral
function call, and I think that a lateral reference may be required to get the
planner to select a broken plan; though I wouldn't swear to that. In any
case, even if LATERAL is needed to trigger the bug, it still affects all
supported branches, so back-patch to all. Per report from Andreas Karlsson.
Thanks to Andrew Gierth for preliminary investigation. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/f8128b11-c5bf-3539-48cd-234178b2314d@proxel.se
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e5d83995e9f88426b325a7ea8ce0770926dc64de

- Improve consistency of comments in system catalog headers. Use the term
"system catalog" rather than "system relation" in assorted places where it's
clearly referring to a table rather than, say, an index. Use more natural
word order in the header boilerplate, improve some of the one-liner catalog
descriptions, and fix assorted random deviations from the normal boilerplate.
All purely neatnik-ism, but why not. John Naylor, some additional cleanup by
me Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAJVSVGUeJmFB3h-NJ18P32NPa+kzC165nm7GSoGHfPaN80Wxcw@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/68c23cba341a0083afa8e30f0c43bf18cbd01bb7

- Change more places to be less trusting of RestrictInfo.is_pushed_down. On
further reflection, commit e5d83995e didn't go far enough: pretty much
everywhere in the planner that examines a clause's is_pushed_down flag ought
to be changed to use the more complicated behavior where we also check the
clause's required_relids. Otherwise we could make incorrect decisions about
whether, say, a clause is safe to use as a hash clause. Some (many?) of these
places are safe as-is, either because they are never reached while considering
a parameterized path, or because there are additional checks that would reject
a pushed-down clause anyway. However, it seems smarter to just code them all
the same way rather than rely on easily-broken reasoning of that sort. In
support of that, invent a new macro RINFO_IS_PUSHED_DOWN that should be used
in place of direct tests on the is_pushed_down flag. Like the previous patch,
back-patch to all supported branches. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/f8128b11-c5bf-3539-48cd-234178b2314d@proxel.se
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c792c7db41466ff02107e3233ec9d92d8e3df866

- Tweak a couple of planner APIs to save recalculating join relids. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/f8128b11-c5bf-3539-48cd-234178b2314d@proxel.se
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ec38dcd363cd63f2a1f3cc4c47680bb16e8331b4

- Fix race conditions when an event trigger is added concurrently with DDL.
EventTriggerTableRewrite crashed if there were table_rewrite triggers present,
but there had not been when the calling command started.
EventTriggerDDLCommandEnd called ddl_command_end triggers if present, even if
there had been no such triggers when the calling command started, which would
lead to a failure in pg_event_trigger_ddl_commands. In both cases, fix by
doing nothing; it's better to wait till the next command when things will be
properly initialized. In passing, remove an elog(DEBUG1) call that might have
seemed interesting four years ago but surely isn't today. We found this
because of intermittent failures in the buildfarm. Thanks to Alvaro Herrera
and Andrew Gierth for analysis. Back-patch to 9.5; some of this code exists
before that, but the specific hazards we need to guard against don't.
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/5767.1523995174@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b1b71f16581fb5385fa9f9a663ffee271cdfaba5

- Don't run fast_default regression test in parallel with other tests. Since it
sets up an event trigger that would fire on DDL done by any concurrent test
script, the original scheduling is just an invitation to irreproducible test
failures. (The fact that we found a bug through exactly such irreproducible
test failures doesn't really change the calculus here: this script is a hazard
to anything that runs in parallel with it today or might be added to that
parallel group in future. No, I don't believe that the trigger is protecting
itself sufficiently to avoid all possible trouble.) Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/5767.1523995174@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/676858bcb4c4d9d2d5ee63a87dbff01085984ee0

- Test conversion of NaN between float4 and float8. Results from buildfarm
member opossum suggest that this doesn't work quite right on that platform.
We've seen issues with NaN support on MIPS/NetBSD before ... allegedly they
fixed this stuff back in 2010, but maybe only for small values of "fixed".
If, in fact, opossum fails this test then I plan to revert it; it's mainly for
diagnostic purposes rather than something we'd necessarily keep long-term. I
think that the failures in window.sql could be worked around with some code
duplication, but I want to verify my theory about the cause first.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/55e0e458170c76c1a0074cd550a13ec47e38a3fa

- Add missing "static" marker. Per pademelon.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a66c03f698f876646b9ef9d5d599e8a6d0ff2e88

Tatsuo Ishii pushed:

- Add more infinite recursion detection while locking a view. Also add
regression test cases for detecting infinite recursion in locking view tests.
Some document enhancements. Patch by Yugo Nagata.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/03030512d1e4df78dc2543d3fe3b6d13e5cb63f6

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- Fix a few typos in comments and variable names. Author: Michael Paquier
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180411075223.GB19732%40paquier.xyz
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/55101549d538c9ed86e761dba0775025726d7310

- Fix confusion on the padding of GIDs in on commit and abort records. Review
of commit 1eb6d652: It's pointless to add padding to the GID fields, when the
code that follows assumes that there is no alignment, and uses memcpy().
Remove the pointless padding. Update comments to note the new fields in the
WAL records. Reviewed-by: Michael Paquier Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/33b787bf-dc20-1161-54e9-3f3b607bf59d%40iki.fi
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cf5a1890592bfa2f45d306789533efba97496233

- Improve docs for the new INCLUDE directive in CREATE/ALTER TABLE. Author:
Michael Paquier Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180411082020.GD19732%40paquier.xyz
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fe7fc52645678ecb661fde47fe5937b48093f79e

Teodor Sigaev pushed:

- Adjust INCLUDE index truncation comments and code. Add several assertions
that ensure that we're dealing with a pivot tuple without non-key attributes
where that's expected. Also, remove the assertion within _bt_isequal(),
restoring the v10 function signature. A similar check will be performed for
the page highkey within _bt_moveright() in most cases. Also avoid dropping
all objects within regression tests, to increase pg_dump test coverage for
INCLUDE indexes. Rather than using infrastructure that's generally intended
to be used with reference counted heap tuple descriptors during truncation,
use the same function that was introduced to store flat TupleDescs in shared
memory (we use a temp palloc'd buffer). This isn't strictly necessary, but
seems more future-proof than the old approach. It also lets us avoid
including rel.h within indextuple.c, which was arguably a modularity
violation. Also, we now call index_deform_tuple() with the truncated
TupleDesc, not the source TupleDesc, since that's more robust, and saves a few
cycles. In passing, fix a memory leak by pfree'ing truncated pivot tuple
memory during CREATE INDEX. Also pfree during a page split, just to be
consistent. Refactor _bt_check_natts() to be more readable. Author: Peter
Geoghegan with some editorization by me Reviewed by: Alexander Korotkov,
Teodor Sigaev Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAH2-Wz%3DkCWuXeMrBCopC-tFs3FbiVxQNjjgNKdG2sHxZ5k2y3w%40mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/075aade4361b9f973172b925ddfb908a012b5796

- Handle XLOG_BTREE_META_CLEANUP in btree_desc() and btree_identify(). New WAL
record XLOG_BTREE_META_CLEANUP introduced in 857f9c36 has no handling in
btree_desc() and btree_identify(). This patch implements corresponding
handling. Alexander Korotkov
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3d927961ae1232487796bebb254d92fb6d0d1e03

- Adjust _bt_insertonpg() comments. Remove an obsolete reference to the
'afteritem' argument, which was removed by commit bc292937. Add a comment
that clarifies how _bt_insertonpg() indirectly handles the insertion of high
key items. Author: Peter Geoghegan
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f97f0c921ae56bb16e466f3c9d6c504f4a96a539

- Fix datatype for number of heap tuples during last cleanup. It appears that
new fields introduced in 857f9c36 have inconsistent datatypes:
BTMetaPageData.btm_last_cleanup_num_heap_tuples is of float4 type, while
xl_btree_metadata.last_cleanup_num_heap_tuples is of double type.
IndexVacuumInfo.num_heap_tuples, which is a source of values for both former
fields is of double type. So, make both those fields in BTMetaPageData and
xl_btree_metadata use float8 type in order to match the precision of the
source. That shouldn't be double type, because we always use types with
explicit width in WAL. Patch introduces incompatibility of on-disk format
since 857f9c36 commit, but that versions never was released, so just bump
catalog version to avoid possible confusion. Author: Alexander Korortkov
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ff4943042f9761fb4e84432da563f43eb3559a3b

Stephen Frost pushed:

- Fix a couple minor typos. In commit f0e4475, GetIndexOpClass was renamed to
ResolveOpClass, but the comment in typecmds.c didn't get the memo. In
objectaddress.c, missing 'of' in a comment. Both noticed by Vik Fearing,
patch is mine though.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a0fefbcb718fedd8f0198f74c3ae27933c92b090

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- doc: Restructure authentication methods sections. Move the authentication
methods sections up to sect1, so they are easier to navigate in HTML.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/56811e57323faa453947eb82f007e323a952e1a1

Magnus Hagander pushed:

- Add missing documentation for BGWORKER_BYPASS_ALLOWCONN. This was missed in
eed1ce72e1593d3e8b7461d7744808d4d6bf402b. Reported by Michael Paquier
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9cad926eb876a30d58a5b39789098da83a6ef91c

== Pending Patches ==

Liudmila Mantrova sent in a patch to fix an inaccuracy in the documentation for
pg_trgrm.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in two revisions of a patch to add tests to show problem
when foreign table points to a partitioned table or inheritance table on the
foreign server, Error out if one iteration of non-direct DML affects more than
one row on the foreign server, and implement a partial fix for the problem in
non-direct UPDATE of a foreign table pointing to a partitioned table or an
inheritance parent on the foreign server.

Amit Langote sent in another revision of a patch to reorganize the partitioning
code.

Etsuro Fujita sent in three more revisions of a patch to fix an oddity in tuple
routing to foreign partitions.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI and Alexander Kuzmenkov traded patches to make logrotate work
better with pg_ctl.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI, Amit Langote, and Tom Lane traded patches to expand the
syntax for defining partitions.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in another revision of a patch to fix an issue which causes
expression errors with "FOR UPDATE" and postgres_fdw with partition wise join
enabled.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira sent in a patch to fix an issue in pg_recvlogical.

Vik Fearing sent in another revision of a patch to add some features to
pg_stat_statements.

David Rowley sent in two more revisions of a patch to initialize expr states
once in run-time partition pruning.

Fujii Masao sent in another revision of a patch to speed up relation deletes
during recovery.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in a patch to refactor postgres_fdw's DML execution hook
functions.

Ildar Musin sent in a patch to add a hostorder parameter to libpq.

Thomas Munro sent in two more revisions of a patch to exit by default if
postmaster dies.

Álvaro Herrera and Pavan Deolasee traded patches to fix an issue which caused VM
map freeze corruption.

Konstantin Knizhnik sent in another revision of a patch to fix an issue where
PostgreSQL can get stuck in deadlock detection.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to implement schema variables.

Thomas Munro sent in three revisions of a patch to use signals for postmaster
death on Linux and FreeBSD.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to fix undefined behavior in UNION ALL with
null values in subselect.

Alexander Lakhin sent in a patch to fix "make installcheck-world" breakage.

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to fix a memory leak in _SPI_stack caused by
AtEOXact_SPI failing to clean up.

Haribabu Kommi sent in another revision of a patch to implement pluggable
storage.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in two more revisions of a patch to correctly attach FPI
to the first record after a checkpoint.

Laurenz Albe sent in a patch to ensure that SHOW ALL honors pg_read_all_settings
membership.

David Rowley sent in two revisions of a patch to add a GUC which allows
partition pruning to be disabled.

Andrew Gierth sent in two revisions of a patch to add toast_validate_* functions
and use same to ensure that OldestXmin doesn't go backwards.

David Rowley sent in a patch to make bms_prev_member work correctly with a 64
bit bitmapword.