== PostgreSQL Weekly News - September 17 2017 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - September 17 2017 ==
Date: 2017-09-18 04:59:03
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - September 17 2017 ==

PGConf India 2018 will be on February 22-23, 2018 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Proposals are due via https://goo.gl/forms/F9hRjOIsaNasVOAz2 by October 31st, 2017.
http://pgconf.in/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

PostGIS 2.4.0 rc1 the industry standard geographic information
system package for PostgreSQL, released.
http://postgis.net/2017/09/13/postgis-2.4.0rc1

PostgreSQL Automatic Failover (PAF) v2.2.0 released.
https://github.com/dalibo/PAF/releases/tag/v2.2.0

oracle_fdw 2.0.0 released.
https://laurenz.github.io/oracle_fdw

== PostgreSQL Jobs for September ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2017-09/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PGDay.IT 2017 will take place October 13th, in Milan, Italy.
http://pgday.it

PostgreSQL Conference Europe 2017 will be held on October 24-27, 2017 in the
Warsaw Marriott Hotel, in Warsaw, Poland.
https://2017.pgconf.eu/

PGConf Local: Seattle will be held November 13 - 14, 2017.
https://www.pgconf.us/#Seattle2017

PGDay Australia 2017 will be held on November 17 in Melbourne. The CfP is open
through September 8, 2017 at https://goo.gl/5d9EbT
http://2017.pgday.com.au/

2ndQuadrant PostgreSQL Conference 2017 (2Q PGConf, for short) will be hosted on
November 6th & 7th in New York City, and November 9th in Chicago.
http://www.2qpgconf.com/

PostgreSQL Session November 17th, 2017, in Paris, France. The CfP is open until
September 30, 2017 at call-for-paper AT postgresql-sessions DOT org. Details at
http://blog.dalibo.com/2017/08/29/cfp_pgsession9.html

PGConf Local: Austin will be held December 4 - 5, 2017. Call for Papers is
now open at https://www.pgconf.us/conferences/Austin2017

PGConf.ASIA 2017 will take place on December 4-6 2017 in Akihabara, Tokyo,
Japan.
http://www.pgconf.asia/EN/2017/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm EST5EDT. Please send English
language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian
language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Fix DROP SUBSCRIPTION hang. When ALTER SUBSCRIPTION DISABLE is run in the
same transaction before DROP SUBSCRIPTION, the latter will hang because
workers will still be running, not having seen the DISABLE committed, and DROP
SUBSCRIPTION will wait until the workers have vacated the replication origin
slots. Previously, DROP SUBSCRIPTION killed the logical replication workers
immediately only if it was going to drop the replication slot, otherwise it
scheduled the worker killing for the end of the transaction, as a result of
7e174fa793a2df89fe03d002a5087ef67abcdde8. This, however, causes the present
problem. To fix, kill the workers immediately in all cases. This covers all
cases: A subscription that doesn't have a replication slot must be disabled.
It was either disabled in the same transaction, or it was already disabled
before the current transaction, but then there shouldn't be any workers left
and this won't make a difference. Reported-by: Arseny Sher
<a(dot)sher(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/87mv6av84w.fsf%40ars-thinkpad
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8edacab209957520423770851351ab4013cb0167

- Message style fixes.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/821fb8cdbf700a8aadbe12d5b46ca4e61be5a8a8

- doc: Document function pointer source code style. as implemented in
1356f78ea93395c107cbc75dc923e29a0efccd8a
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3612019a7925012445af29b9ea7af84bd68a5932

- pg_receivewal: Add --endpos option. This is primarily useful for making tests
of this utility more deterministic, to avoid the complexity of starting
pg_receivewal as a deamon in TAP tests. While this is less useful than the
equivalent pg_recvlogical option, users can as well use it for example to
enforce WAL streaming up to a end-of-backup position, to save only a minimal
amount of WAL. Use this new option to stream WAL data in a deterministic way
within a new set of TAP tests. Author: Michael Paquier
<michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6d9fa52645e71711410a66b5349df3be0dd49608

- Allow custom search filters to be configured for LDAP auth. Before, only
filters of the form "(<ldapsearchattribute>=<user>)" could be used to search
an LDAP server. Introduce ldapsearchfilter so that more general filters can
be configured using patterns, like "(|(uid=$username)(mail=$username))" and
"(&(uid=$username) (objectClass=posixAccount))". Also allow search filters to
be included in an LDAP URL. Author: Thomas Munro Reviewed-By: Peter
Eisentraut, Mark Cave-Ayland, Magnus Hagander Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAEepm=0XTkYvMci0WRubZcf_1am8=gP=7oJErpsUfRYcKF2gwg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/83aaac41c66959a3ebaec7daadc4885b5f98f561

- doc: Document default scope in LDAP URL.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/58bd60995f1c7470c0542f591b303bcc586a5d5f

- doc: Remove useless marked section. This was left around when this text was
moved from installation.sgml in c5ba11f8fb1701441b96a755ea410b96bfe36170.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2eeaa74b5ba20bc75bbaf10837a1ae966094d6cc

- Define LDAP_NO_ATTRS if necessary. Commit
83aaac41c66959a3ebaec7daadc4885b5f98f561 introduced the use of LDAP_NO_ATTRS
to avoid requesting a dummy attribute when doing search+bind LDAP
authentication. It turns out that not all LDAP implementations define that
macro, but its value is fixed by the protocol so we can define it ourselves if
it's missing. Author: Thomas Munro Reported-By: Ashutosh Sharma Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAE9k0Pm6FKCfPCiAr26-L_SMGOA7dT_k0%2B3pEbB8%2B-oT39xRpw%40mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1a2fdc99a4b341feb6c01304e58f01dd0e095d9a

- Improve error message in WAL sender. The previous error message when
attempting to run a general SQL command in a physical replication WAL sender
was a bit sloppy. Reported-by: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/61975d6c2cf5bbcf40a2e3160914ecad7a21df1a

- doc: Remove incorrect SCRAM protocol documentation. The documentation claimed
that one should send "pg_same_as_startup_message" as the user name in the
SCRAM messages, but this did not match the actual implementation, so remove
it.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/089880ba9af5f95e1a3b050874a90dbe5c33fd61

- Fix bool/int type confusion. Using ++ on a bool variable doesn't work well
when stdbool.h is in use. The original BSD code appears to use int here, so
use that instead. Reviewed-by: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0ec2e908babfbfde83a3925680f06b16408739ff

- Remove BoolPtr type. Not used and doesn't seem useful. Reviewed-by: Thomas
Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8951c65df2701a4620ea43f12b9fbabdb653c164

- Avoid use of bool in thread_test.c. It's not necessary for such a small
program, and it causes unnecessary extra work to get the correct definition of
bool, more so if we are going to introduce stdbool.h later. Reviewed-by:
Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0c4b879b74f891c19b3b431c5f34f94e50daa09b

- adminpack: Add test suite. Reviewed-by: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b28dfa6d6f4e9a7a518d3c22b28375cad8a22272

- pg_archivecleanup: Add test suite. Reviewed-by: David Steele
<david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/98470fdfa72b78ec49dea9a25e658876e6e51989

- passwordcheck: Add test suite. Also improve one error message. Reviewed-by:
David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/af7211e92dc2bba66f90de9e5bea6ae5fa914c61

- lo: Add test suite. Reviewed-by: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4cb89d830626d009ed6a4482bed3a141c5039a7c

- isn: Fix debug code. The ISN_DEBUG code did not compile. Fix that code,
don't hide it behind an #ifdef, make it run when building with asserts, and
make it error out instead of just logging if it fails. Reviewed-by: David
Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9b6cb4650bc6a56114000678c1944afdb95f8333

- fuzzystrmatch: Add test suite. Reviewed-by: David Steele
<david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6141123a827a47d02b8b6c8eb97643c33aa4461d

- chkpass: Add test suite. Reviewed-by: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8423bf4f25ecd7afdd1d89adfbf29ea28992678f

- Add LDAP authentication test suite. Like the SSL test suite, this will not be
run by default. Reviewed-by: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f0e60ee4bc04fd4865dbaf2139d50d6fe71c1bc3

- Apply pg_get_serial_sequence() to identity column sequences as well. Bug:
#14813
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3012061b8653a57a098c85f06f1f80ec9576711b

Tom Lane pushed:

- Doc: update v10 release notes through today. Add item about number of times
statement-level triggers will be fired. Rearrange the compatibility items
into (what seems to me) a less random ordering.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/68ab9acd8557a9401a115a5369a14bf0a169e8e7

- Allow rel_is_distinct_for() to look through RelabelType below OpExpr. This
lets it do the right thing for, eg, varchar columns. Back-patch to 9.5 where
this logic appeared. David Rowley, per report from Kim Rose Carlsen
https://postgr.es/m/VI1PR05MB17091F9A9876528055D6A827C76D0@VI1PR05MB1709.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6f44fe7f121ac7c29c1ac8553e4e209f9c3bfbcb

- Fix possible dangling pointer dereference in trigger.c. AfterTriggerEndQuery
correctly notes that the query_stack could get repalloc'd during a trigger
firing, but it nonetheless passes the address of a query_stack entry to
afterTriggerInvokeEvents, so that if such a repalloc occurs,
afterTriggerInvokeEvents is already working with an obsolete dangling pointer
while it scans the rest of the events. Oops. The only code at risk is its
"delete_ok" cleanup code, so we can prevent unsafe behavior by passing
delete_ok = false instead of true. However, that could have a significant
performance penalty, because the point of passing delete_ok = true is to not
have to re-scan possibly a large number of dead trigger events on the next
time through the loop. There's more than one way to skin that cat, though.
What we can do is delete all the "chunks" in the event list except the last
one, since we know all events in them must be dead. Deleting the chunks is
work we'd have had to do later in AfterTriggerEndQuery anyway, and it ends up
saving rescanning of just about the same events we'd have gotten rid of with
delete_ok = true. In v10 and HEAD, we also have to be careful to mop up any
per-table after_trig_events pointers that would become dangling. This is
slightly annoying, but I don't think that normal use-cases will traverse this
code path often enough for it to be a performance problem. It's pretty hard
to hit this in practice because of the unlikelihood of the query_stack getting
resized at just the wrong time. Nonetheless, it's definitely a live bug of
ancient standing, so back-patch to all supported branches. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/2891.1505419542@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/27c6619e9c8ff80cd78c7f66443aa005734cda90

- Prefer argument name over "$n" for the refname of a plpgsql argument. If a
function argument has a name, use that as the "refname" of the PLpgSQL_datum
representing the argument, instead of $n as before. This allows better error
messages in some cases. Pavel Stehule, reviewed by Jeevan Chalke Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAFj8pRB9GyU2U1Sb2ssgP26DZ_yq-FYDfpvUvGQ=k4R=yOPVjg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b8060e41b5994a3cffb3ececaab10ed39b8d5dfd

- Fix RecursiveCopy.pm to cope with disappearing files. When copying from an
active database tree, it's possible for files to be deleted after we see them
in a readdir() scan but before we can open them. (Once we've got a file open,
we don't expect any further errors from it getting unlinked, though.) Tweak
RecursiveCopy so it can cope with this case, so as to avoid irreproducible
test failures. Back-patch to 9.6 where this code was added. In v10 and HEAD,
also remove unused "use RecursiveCopy" in one recovery test script. Michael
Paquier and Tom Lane Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/24621.1504924323@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e183530550dc1b73d24fb5ae7d84e85286e88ffb

- Add psql variables to track success/failure of SQL queries. This patch adds
ERROR, SQLSTATE, and ROW_COUNT, which are updated after every query, as well
as LAST_ERROR_MESSAGE and LAST_ERROR_SQLSTATE, which are updated only when a
query fails. The expected usage of these is for scripting. Fabien Coelho,
reviewed by Pavel Stehule Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/alpine.DEB.2.20.1704042158020.12290@lancre
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/69835bc8988812c960f4ed5aeee86b62ac73602a

- Distinguish selectivity of < from <= and > from >=. Historically, the
selectivity functions have simply not distinguished < from <=, or > from >=,
arguing that the fraction of the population that satisfies the "=" aspect can
be considered to be vanishingly small, if the comparison value isn't any of
the most-common-values for the variable. (If it is, the code path that
executes the operator against each MCV will take care of things properly.)
But that isn't really true unless we're dealing with a continuum of variable
values, and in practice we seldom are. If "x = const" would estimate a
nonzero number of rows for a given const value, then it follows that we ought
to estimate different numbers of rows for "x < const" and "x <= const", even
if the const is not one of the MCVs. Handling this more honestly makes a
significant difference in edge cases, such as the estimate for a tight range
(x BETWEEN y AND z where y and z are close together). Hence, split
scalarltsel into scalarltsel/scalarlesel, and similarly split scalargtsel into
scalargtsel/scalargesel. Adjust <= and >= operator definitions to reference
the new selectivity functions. Improve the core ineq_histogram_selectivity()
function to make a correction for equality. (Along the way, I learned quite a
bit about exactly why that function gives good answers, which I tried to
memorialize in improved comments.) The corresponding join selectivity
functions were, and remain, just stubs. But I chose to split them similarly,
to avoid confusion and to prevent the need for doing this exercise again if
someone ever makes them less stubby. In passing, change
ineq_histogram_selectivity's clamp for extreme probability estimates so that
it varies depending on the histogram size, instead of being hardwired at
0.0001. With the default histogram size of 100 entries, you still get the old
clamp value, but bigger histograms should allow us to put more faith in edge
values. Tom Lane, reviewed by Aleksander Alekseev and Kuntal Ghosh
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/12232.1499140410@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7d08ce286cd5854d58152e428c28636a616bdc42

- Update contrib/seg for new scalarlesel/scalargesel selectivity functions. I
somehow missed this module in commit 7d08ce286.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/44ba2920644903d7dfceda810e5facdbcbab58a8

- Adjust unstable regression test case. Test queries added by commit 69835bc89
are giving unexpected results on some smaller buildfarm critters. I think
probably the seqscan logic is kicking in to cause the scans to not start at
the beginning of the table. Add ORDER BY to make them be indexscans instead.
Per buildfarm member chipmunk.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/76e134fefd7de0554536e1b8d45a1878f96cf9c0

- Avoid duplicate typedef for SharedRecordTypmodRegistry. This isn't our usual
solution for such problems, and older compilers (not terribly old, either)
don't like it. Per buildfarm and local testing.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fba366555659fc1dc66a825196be3cc68640d289

- Don't use anonymous unions. Commit cc5f81366c36b3dd8f02bd9be1cf75b2cc8482bd
introduced a language feature that is not acceptable to strict C89 compilers.
Thomas Munro Per buildfarm.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/eaa4070543c2e36f0521f831d051265139875254

- Get rid of shared_record_typmod_registry_worker_detach; it doesn't work. This
code is unsafe, as proven by buildfarm failures, because it tries to access
shared memory that might already be gone. It's also unnecessary, because
we're about to exit the process anyway and so the record type cache should
never be accessed again. The idea was to lay some foundations for someday
recycling workers --- which would require attaching to a different shared
tupdesc registry --- but that will require considerably more thought. In the
meantime let's save some bytes by just removing the nonfunctional code.
Problem identification, and proposal to fix by removing functionality from the
detach function, by Thomas Munro. I went a bit further by removing the
function altogether. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/E1dsguX-00056N-9x@gemulon.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/71aa4801a8184eb422c6bf51631bda76f1011278

- Fix SQL-spec incompatibilities in new transition table feature. The standard
says that all changes of the same kind (insert, update, or delete) caused in
one table by a single SQL statement should be reported in a single transition
table; and by that, they mean to include foreign key enforcement actions
cascading from the statement's direct effects. It's also reasonable to
conclude that if the standard had wCTEs, they would say that effects of wCTEs
applying to the same table as each other or the outer statement should be
merged into one transition table. We weren't doing it like that. Hence,
arrange to merge tuples from multiple update actions into a single transition
table as much as we can. There is a problem, which is that if the firing of
FK enforcement triggers and after-row triggers with transition tables is
interspersed, we might need to report more tuples after some triggers have
already seen the transition table. It seems like a bad idea for the
transition table to be mutable between trigger calls. There's no good way
around this without a major redesign of the FK logic, so for now, resolve it
by opening a new transition table each time this happens. Also, ensure that
AFTER STATEMENT triggers fire just once per statement, or once per transition
table when we're forced to make more than one. Previous versions of Postgres
have allowed each FK enforcement query to cause an additional firing of the
AFTER STATEMENT triggers for the referencing table, but that's certainly not
per spec. (We're still doing multiple firings of BEFORE STATEMENT triggers,
though; is that something worth changing?) Also, forbid using transition
tables with column-specific UPDATE triggers. The spec requires such
transition tables to show only the tuples for which the UPDATE trigger would
have fired, which means maintaining multiple transition tables or else somehow
filtering the contents at readout. Maybe someday we'll bother to support that
option, but it looks like a lot of trouble for a marginal feature. The
transition tables are now managed by the AfterTriggers data structures, rather
than being directly the responsibility of ModifyTable nodes. This removes a
subtransaction-lifespan memory leak introduced by my previous band-aid patch
3c4359521. In passing, refactor the AfterTriggers data structures to reduce
the management overhead for them, by using arrays of structs rather than
several parallel arrays for per-query-level and per-subtransaction state. I
failed to resist the temptation to do some copy-editing on the SGML docs about
triggers, above and beyond merely documenting the effects of this patch.
Back-patch to v10, because we don't want the semantics of transition tables to
change post-release. Patch by me, with help and review from Thomas Munro.
https://postgr.es/m/20170909064853.25630.12825@wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0f79440fb0b4c5a9baa9a95570c01828a9093802

- Doc: add example of transition table use in a trigger. I noticed that there
were exactly no complete examples of use of a transition table in a trigger
function, and no clear description of just how you'd do it either. Improve
that.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/936df5ba80a46fb40bfc93da49a709cbc0aafe5e

- Fix bogus size calculation introduced by commit cc5f81366. The elements of
RecordCacheArray are TupleDesc, not TupleDesc *. Those are actually the same
size, so that this error is harmless, but it's still wrong --- and it might
bite us someday, if TupleDesc ever became a struct, say. Per Coverity.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cad22075bc2ce9c1fbe61e8d3969d4dbdb5bc1f3

- Ensure that BEFORE STATEMENT triggers fire the right number of times. Commit
0f79440fb introduced mechanism to keep AFTER STATEMENT triggers from firing
more than once per statement, which was formerly possible if more than one FK
enforcement action had to be applied to a given table. Add a similar
mechanism for BEFORE STATEMENT triggers, so that we don't have the unexpected
situation of firing BEFORE STATEMENT triggers more often than AFTER STATEMENT.
As with the previous patch, back-patch to v10. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/22315.1505584992@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fd31f9f033213e2ebf00b57ef837e1828c338fc4

Andres Freund pushed:

- Constify numeric.c. This allows the compiler/linker to move the static
variables to a read-only segment. Not all the signature changes are
necessary, but it seems better to apply const in a consistent manner.
Reviewed-By: Tom Lane Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20170910232154.asgml44ji2b7lv3d@alap3.anarazel.de
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c1898c3e1e235ae35b4759d233253eff221b976a

- Introduce BYTES unit for GUCs. This is already useful for
track_activity_query_size, and will further be used in a later commit making
the WAL segment size configurable. Author: Beena Emerson Reviewed-By: Andres
Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAOG9ApEu8bXVwBxkOO9J7ZpM76TASK_vFMEEiCEjwhMmSLiaqQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6e7baa322773ff8c79d4d8883c99fdeff5bfa679

- Properly check interrupts in execScan.c. During the development of d47cfef711
the CFI()s in ExecScan() were moved back and forth, ending up in the wrong
place. Thus queries that largely spend their time in ExecScan(), and have
neither projection nor a qual, can't be cancelled in a timely manner.
Reported-By: Jeff Janes Author: Andres Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAMkU=1weDXp8eLLPt9SO1LEUsJYYK9cScaGhLKpuN+WbYo9b5g@mail.gmail.com
Backpatch: 10, as d47cfef711
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1ab973ab600dc4295dbbd38d1643f9bd26f81d8e

- Perform only one ReadControlFile() during startup. Previously we read the
control file in multiple places. But soon the segment size will be
configurable and stored in the control file, and that needs to be available
earlier than it currently is needed. Instead of adding yet another place
where it's read, refactor things so there's a single processing of the control
file during startup (in EXEC_BACKEND that's every individual backend's
startup). Author: Andres Freund Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/20170913092828.aozd3gvvmw67gmyc@alap3.anarazel.de
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8356753c212a5865469c9befc4cf1e637a9d8bbc

- Remove TupleDesc remapping logic from tqueue.c. With the introduction of a
shared memory record typmod registry, it is no longer necessary to remap
record typmods when sending tuples between backends so most of tqueue.c can be
removed. Author: Thomas Munro Reviewed-By: Andres Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAEepm=0ZtQ-SpsgCyzzYpsXS6e=kZWqk3g5Ygn3MDV7A8dabUA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6b65a7fe62e129d5c2b85cd74d6a91d8f7564608

- Add support for coordinating record typmods among parallel workers. Tuples
can have type RECORDOID and a typmod number that identifies a blessed
TupleDesc in a backend-private cache. To support the sharing of such tuples
through shared memory and temporary files, provide a typmod registry in shared
memory. To achieve that, introduce per-session DSM segments, created on
demand when a backend first runs a parallel query. The per-session DSM
segment has a table-of-contents just like the per-query DSM segment, and
initially the contents are a shared record typmod registry and a DSA area to
provide the space it needs to grow. State relating to the current session is
accessed via a Session object reached through global variable CurrentSession
that may require significant redesign further down the road as we figure out
what else needs to be shared or remodelled. Author: Thomas Munro Reviewed-By:
Andres Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAEepm=0ZtQ-SpsgCyzzYpsXS6e=kZWqk3g5Ygn3MDV7A8dabUA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cc5f81366c36b3dd8f02bd9be1cf75b2cc8482bd

Bruce Momjian pushed:

- PG 10 release notes: update PL/Tcl functions item. Update attribution of
PL/Tcl functions item from Jim Nasby to Karl Lehenbauer. Reported-by: Jim
Nasby Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/ed42f3d6-4251-dabc-747f-1ff936763b2b@nasby.net
Backpatch-through: 10
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3126433ae7464ffc25a8317110e79defaa3d8865

- PG 10 release notes: change trigger transition tables. Add attribution of
trigger transition tables for Thomas Munro. Reported-by: Thomas Munro
https://postgr.es/m/CAEepm=2bDFgr4ut+1-QjKQY4MA=5ek8Ap3nyB19y2tpTL6xxtA@mail.gmail.com
Backpatch-through: 10
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/57e1c007939447ecf8c2d2aa2f507124613324ad

- docs: improve pg_upgrade rsync instructions. This explains how rsync
accomplishes updating standby servers and clarifies the instructions.
Reported-by: Andreas Joseph Krogh Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/VisenaEmail.10.2b4049e43870bd16.15d898d696f@tc7-visena
Backpatch-through: 9.5
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2d4a614e1ec34a746aca43d6a02aa3344dcf5fd4

- docs: improve pg_upgrade standby instructions. This makes it clear that
pg_upgrade standby upgrade instructions should only be used in link mode, adds
examples, and explains how rsync works with links. Reported-by: Andreas
Joseph Krogh Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/VisenaEmail.6c.c0e592c5af4ef0a2.15e785dcb61@tc7-visena
Backpatch-through: 9.5
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9521ce4a7a1125385fb4de9689f345db594c516a

- docs: adjust "link mode" mention in pg_upgrade streaming steps.
Backpatch-through: 9.5
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/82e367ddbfdf798ea8a30da15db3984017277342

- docs: clarify pg_upgrade docs regarding standbys and rsync. Document that
rsync is an _optional_ way to upgrade standbys, suggest rsync option
--dry-run, and mention a way of upgrading one standby from another using
rsync. Also clarify some instructions by specifying if they operate on the
old or new clusters. Reported-by: Stephen Frost, Magnus Hagander Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20170914191250.GB6595@momjian.us Backpatch-through: 9.5
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/04b64b8ddf9926950fe86d7d489825c46665dc01

Michael Meskes pushed:

- Fixed ECPG to correctly handle out-of-scope cursor declarations with pointers.
or array variables.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/35e15688269a2af13f4cddff0c13536a9a42115d

Stephen Frost pushed:

- Fix ordering in pg_dump of GRANTs. The order in which GRANTs are output is
important as GRANTs which have been GRANT'd by individuals via WITH GRANT
OPTION GRANTs have to come after the GRANT which included the WITH GRANT
OPTION. This happens naturally in the backend during normal operation as we
only change existing ACLs in-place, only add new ACLs to the end, and when
removing an ACL we remove any which depend on it also. Also, adjust the
comments in acl.h to make this clear. Unfortunately, the updates to pg_dump
to handle initial privileges involved pulling apart ACLs and then combining
them back together and could end up putting them back together in an invalid
order, leading to dumps which wouldn't restore. Fix this by adjusting the
queries used by pg_dump to ensure that the ACLs are rebuilt in the same order
in which they were originally. Back-patch to 9.6 where the changes for
initial privileges were done.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d2e40b310aea1050fd499f62f391329f2c331f6a

Robert Haas pushed:

- Set partitioned_rels appropriately when UNION ALL is used. In most cases,
this omission won't matter, because the appropriate locks will have been
acquired during parse/plan or by AcquireExecutorLocks. But it's a bug all the
same. Report by Ashutosh Bapat. Patch by me, reviewed by Amit Langote.
http://postgr.es/m/CAFjFpRdHb_ZnoDTuBXqrudWXh3H1ibLkr6nHsCFT96fSK4DXtA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1555566d9ee1a996a28cc4601840a67831112695

- Fix inconsistent capitalization. Amit Langote Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/a83a0899-19f5-594c-9aac-3ba0f16989a1@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/42651bdd68a123544d5bfd0773a170aa3b443f1b

- Make RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo expand depth-first. With this change,
the order of leaf partitions as returned by RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo
should now be the same as the order used by expand_inherited_rtentry. This
will make it simpler for future patches to match up the partition dispatch
information with the planner data structures. The new code is also, in my
opinion anyway, simpler and easier to understand. Amit Langote, reviewed by
Amit Khandekar. I also reviewed and made a few cosmetic revisions.
http://postgr.es/m/d98d4761-5071-1762-501e-0e15047c714b@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/77b6b5e9ceca04dbd6f0f6cd3fc881519acc8714

- Add missing tags to GetCommandLogLevel. Otherwise, log_statement = 'ddl'
causes errors if those statement types are used. Michael Paquier, reviewed by
Ashutosh Sharma Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAB7nPqStC3HkE76Q1MnHsVd1vF1Td9zXApzYadzDMyLMRkkGrw@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/81276fdd3931d286e62b86b2512a517de2ba2de8

- Test coverage for CREATE/ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER .. HANDLER. Amit Langote,
per a suggestion from Mark Dilger. Reviewed by Marc Dilger and Ashutosh
Bapat. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAFjFpReL0oeN7SCpnsEPbqJhB2Bp1wnH1uvbOF_w6KEuv6ZXvg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/60cd2f8a2d1a1e763b2df015e2e660caa9e39a67

- After a MINVALUE/MAXVALUE bound, allow only more of the same. In the old
syntax, which used UNBOUNDED, we had a similar restriction, but commit
d363d42bb9a4399a0207bd3b371c966e22e06bd3, which changed the syntax, eliminated
it. Put it back. Patch by me, reviewed by Dean Rasheed. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CA+Tgmobs+pLPC27tS3gOpEAxAffHrq5w509cvkwTf9pF6cWYbg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9361f6f54e3ff9bab84e80d4b1e15be79b48d60e

- Expand partitioned table RTEs level by level, without flattening. Flattening
the partitioning hierarchy at this stage makes various desirable optimizations
difficult. The original use case for this patch was partition-wise join,
which wants to match up the partitions in one partitioning hierarchy with
those in another such hierarchy. However, it now seems that it will also be
useful in making partition pruning work using the PartitionDesc rather than
constraint exclusion, because with a flattened expansion, we have no easy way
to figure out which PartitionDescs apply to which leaf tables in a multi-level
partition hierarchy. As it turns out, we end up creating both rte->inh and
!rte->inh RTEs for each intermediate partitioned table, just as we previously
did for the root table. This seems unnecessary since the partitioned tables
have no storage and are not scanned. We might want to go back and rejigger
things so that no partitioned tables (including the parent) need !rte->inh
RTEs, but that seems to require some adjustments not related to the core
purpose of this patch. Ashutosh Bapat, reviewed by me and by Amit Langote.
Some final adjustments by me. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAFjFpRd=1venqLL7oGU=C1dEkuvk2DJgvF+7uKbnPHaum1mvHQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0a480502b092195a9b25a2f0f199a21d592a9c57

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- src/test/ldap: Fix test function in Linux port.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c29145f00df2aa873672ab9f1b3fc4ec6a0ec05d

== Pending Patches ==

Yuto Hayamizu sent in a patch to mitigate the fact that filter cost is estimated
to be too high.

Etsuro Fujita sent in another revision of a patch to add support for tuple
routing to foreign partitions.

Fabien COELHO sent in two more revisions of a patch to pgbench which fixes meta
command only scripts.

Konstantin Knizhnik sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement
autoprepare.

Nathan Bossart sent in four more revisions of a patch to allow VACUUM to take
multiple tables and error out on duplicate columns in ANALYZE calls.

Michael Banck sent in two more revisions of a patch to add an option to create a
replication slot in pg_basebackup if not yet present.

Andrey Borodin sent in two more revisions of a patch to allow GiST opcalsses
without (de)compression functions.

Peter Geoghegan sent in another revision of a patch to remove replacement
selection sort from the code.

Amit Kapila sent in a patch to change metapage usage for hash and b-tree

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to remove wal_keep_segments as the default
configuration in PostgresNode.pm.

Tom Lane sent in another revision of a patch to improve OR conditions on joined
columns.

Tom Lane sent in another revision of a patch to fix an infelicity between
eval_const_expressions and ScalarArrayOpExpr.

Ildus Kurbangaliev sent in another revision of a patch to add custom compression
methods.

Yura Sokolov sent in another revision of a patch to improve compactify_tuples by
implementing a bucket sort with one pass of stable prefix sort on high 8 bits of
offset and insertion sort for buckets larger than 1 element, and simplify
PageRepairFragmentation.

Simon Riggs sent in another revision of a patch to add toast_tuple_target().

Tomas Vondra sent in another revision of a patch to implement multivariate
histograms and multivariate MCV lists.

Haribabu Kommi sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement a
pg_stat_wal_write statistics view.

Elvis Pranskevichus sent in a patch to add a session_read_only GUC.

Fabien COELHO sent in a patch to fix a pgbench regression test failure.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to support huge pages on
Windows.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in two more revisions of a patch to fix
wal_level_minimal.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to enable PL/pgsql functions
to take composite types as arguments.

Hadi Moshayedi sent in a patch to call RelationDropStorage() for broader range
of object drops.

Jing Wang sent in two more revisions of a patch to support to COMMENT ON
DATABASE CURRENT_DATABASE.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to allow custom search filters
to be configured for LDAP auth, add LDAP authentication test suite, and add
tests for ldapsearchfilter functionality.

Jeevan Ladhe and Amit Langote traded patches to optimize default partition
scanning while adding new partition.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in a patch to ensure that the correct range table entry is
being used in the planner for joins between declaratively partitioned tables.

Amit Langote sent in four more revisions of a patch to set pd_lower correctly in
the GIN metapage, BRIN metapage, and SP-GiST metapage.

Tom Lane sent in another revision of a patch to enable making arrays of domains.

Amit Langote sent in another revision of a patch to add some enhancments for \d+
output of partitioned tables.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to add some new optional
checks to PL/pgsql.

Vaishnavi Prabakaran sent in another revision of a patch to add batch/pipelining
support to libpq.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in two more revisions of a patch to enable restricting
maximum keep segments by replication slots.

Victor Drobny sent in another revision of a patch to add queryto_tsquery().

Thomas Munro sent in a patch to define LDAP_NO_ATTRS if necessary.

Peter Moser sent in another revision of a patch to add temporal processing
primitives.

David Steele sent in another revision of a patch to refactor OpenFile()
permissions.

Adrian Escoms sent in two revisions of a patch to fix some inconsistencies
between pg_settings and postgresql.conf.

Pierre Ducroquet sent in another revision of a patch to allow a pg_basebackup
when a tablespace is shared between two versions.

Andres Freund and Beena Emerson traded patches to allow setting the default WAL
segment size at initdb time.

Pierre Ducroquet sent in another revision of a patch to port most calls of
atoi(optarg) to strcol.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to fix a race between
SELECT and ALTER TABLE NO INHERIT.

Amit Khandekar sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement hash
partitioning.

Amul Sul sent in another revision of a patch to set the ctid.ip_blkid to
InvalidBlockNumber while moving a tuple to the another partition.

Thomas Munro sent in two more revisions of a patch to improve the LDAP cleanup
code in error paths and log diagnostic messages if errors occur during LDAP
auth.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in a patch to reparamterize partial nestloop paths in
response to a bug report.

Mark Rofail sent in another revision of a patch to implement foreign key arrays.

Peter Eisentraut and Masahiko Sawada traded patches to fix an issue where DROP
SUBSCRIPTION hangs if sub is disabled in the same transaction.

Amit Kapila sent in another revision of a patch to make parallel paths include
tlist cost.

Amit Kapila sent in another revision of a patch to ensure that GatherMerge
pushes target list.

Andres Freund sent in a patch to improve catcache/syscache performance.

Andres Freund sent in a patch to fix a binary search bottleneck in
fmgr_isbuiltin() by replacing it with a hash table.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to move some of the partitioning code to the
executor.

Alexey Chernyshov sent in another revision of a patch to add citext_pattern_ops
to the citext contrib module.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to implement parallel hash.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to teach ATExecAttachPartition to skip validation
in more cases.

Alexander Korotkov sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement 64-bit
XIDs.

Haribabu Kommi sent in another revision of a patch to add the infrastructure for
pluggable storage by changing the Create Access method to include storage
handler, adding storage AM API hooks and related functions, addadding a
storageam handler to the relation structure, adding a tuple visibility function,
slot hooks, a tuple insert API and scan functions to the storage AM, and moving
HeapScanDesc usage outside the heap.

Amul Sul sent in two more revisions of a patch to add hash partitioning.

Konstantin Knizhnik sent in three more revisions of a patch to add projection
autotuning.

Andres Freund sent in two revisions of a patch to speed up
pgstat_report_activity by moving multibyte-aware truncation to the read side.

Andres Freund sent in a patch to fix an issue where SendRowDescriptionMessage()
was slow for queries with a lot of columns by adding more efficient functions to
pqformat API, improving the performance of SendRowDescriptionMessage, adding an
inline murmurhash32(int32) function, replacing the binary search in
fmgr_isbuiltin with hashtable, adding a pg_noinline macro to c.h, improving
sys/catcache performance, and improving the getBaseTypeAndTypemod() performance
for builtin types.

Alexander Korotkov sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement
incremental sort.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement partition-wise
join for join between (declaratively) partitioned tables.

Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch to use stdbool.h instead of rolling our own.

Jeff Janes sent in a patch to fix issues around superuser as it pertains to
foreign tables.

Amit Kapila sent in another revision of a patch to parallelize queries
containing initplans.

Ivan Kartyshov sent in another revision of a patch to deal with long-running
transactions on subscriber nodes.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to add some optimizer data structures for
partitioned rels, make some planner-side changes for partition-pruning, make
some interface changes for partition_bound_{cmp/bsearch}, implement
get_partitions_for_keys(), and add more tests for the new partitioning-related
planning code.

Dmitry Dolgov sent in another revision of a patch to implement generic type
subscripting.

Thomas Munro sent in a patch to add coverage tests for partition-wise join for
join between (declaratively) partitioned tables.

Chen Huajun sent in a patch to make pg_rewind to not copy useless WAL files.

Nikita Glukhov sent in another revision of a patch to add the SQL standard
SQL/JSON feature.

David Rowley sent in a patch to fix join removal in subqueries.

Peter Geoghegan sent in a patch to allow ICU to use SortSupport on Windows with
UTF-8.

Andres Freund sent in a patch to fix an issue which manifested on crash and
restart.

Dilip Kumar sent in another revision of a patch to improve bitmap_cost.

Andreas Karlsson sent in another revision of a patch to support GnuTLS for SSL.

Rosser Schwarz sent in another revision of a patch to add --if-exists to
pg_recvlogical.

Amit Kapila sent in a patch to fix worker startup failures.

Dilip Kumar sent in another revision of a patch to improve bitmap costing for
lossy pages.