== PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 11 2017 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 11 2017 ==
Date: 2017-06-12 05:20:13
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 11 2017 ==

PostgreSQL Conference Europe 2017 will be held on October 24-27, 2017 in the
Warsaw Marriott Hotel, in Warsaw, Poland.
https://2017.pgconf.eu/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

check_pgactivity 2.2, a Nagios remote agent for monitoring PostgreSQL, released.
https://github.com/OPMDG/check_pgactivity/releases

== PostgreSQL Jobs for June ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2017-06/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

Postgres Vision will take place in Boston, June 26 - 28, 2017.
http://postgresvision.com/

Swiss PGDay in Rapperswil will take place June 30, 2017.
The schedule is online and registration is open.
http://www.pgday.ch/2017/

PGBR2017 will take place in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul,
Brazil on September 14-16 2017. The CfP is open until June 30, 2017.
https://pgbr.postgresql.org.br/2017/

PostgresOpen will occur September 6-8, 2017 in San Francisco.
https://2017.postgresopen.org/

PGDay UK 2017 will take place July 4, 2017 in London, England, UK.
http://www.pgconf.uk

PGDay Austin 2017 will be held on Saturday, August 26 2017.
https://pgdayaustin2017.postgresql.us

PGConf.ASIA 2017 will take place on December 4-6 2017 in Akihabara, Tokyo,
Japan. The CfP is open until July 31, 2017. Send submissions to
pgconf-asia-2017-submission AT pgconf DOT asia
http://www.pgconf.asia/EN/2017/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Replace over-optimistic Assert in partitioning code with a runtime test.
get_partition_parent felt that it could simply Assert that systable_getnext
found a tuple. This is unlike any other caller of that function, and it's
unsafe IMO --- in fact, the reason I noticed it was that the Assert failed.
(OK, I was working with known-inconsistent catalog contents, but I wasn't
expecting the DB to fall over quite that violently. The behavior in a
non-assert-enabled build wouldn't be very nice, either.) Fix it to do what
other callers do, namely an actual runtime-test-and-elog. Also, standardize
the wording of elog messages that are complaining about unexpected failure of
systable_getnext. 90% of them say "could not find tuple for <object>", so
make the remainder do likewise. Many of the holdouts were using the phrasing
"cache lookup failed", which is outright misleading since no catcache search
is involved.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e7941a976688f0f5d13a5227ed4f3efe0718db9d

- Don't be so trusting that shm_toc_lookup() will always succeed. Given the
possibility of race conditions and so on, it seems entirely unsafe to just
assume that shm_toc_lookup() always finds the key it's looking for --- but
that was exactly what all but one call site were doing. To fix, add a "bool
noError" argument, similarly to what we have in many other functions, and
throw an error on an unexpected lookup failure. Remove now-redundant Asserts
that a rather random subset of call sites had. I doubt this will throw any
light on buildfarm member lorikeet's recent failures, because if an unnoticed
lookup failure were involved, you'd kind of expect a null-pointer-dereference
crash rather than the observed symptom. But you never know ... and this is
better coding practice even if it never catches anything. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/9697.1496675981@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d4663350646ca0c069a36d906155a0f7e3372eb7

- Code review for shm_toc.h/.c. Declare the toc_nentry field as uint32 not
Size. Since shm_toc_lookup() reads the field without any lock, it has to be
atomically readable, and we do not assume that for fields wider than 32 bits.
Performance would be impossibly bad for entry counts approaching 2^32 anyway,
so there is no need to try to preserve maximum width here. This is probably
an academic issue, because even if reading int64 isn't atomic, the high order
half would never change in practice. Still, it's a coding rule violation, so
let's fix it. Adjust some other not-terribly-well-chosen data types too, and
copy-edit some comments. Make shm_toc_attach's Asserts consistent with
shm_toc_create's. None of this looks to be a live bug, so no need for
back-patch. Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/16984.1496679541@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3e60c6f72328a9ad14d8a087411cd394752c5b23

- Docs: improve CREATE TABLE ref page's discussion of partition bounds. Clarify
in the syntax synopsis that partition bound values must be exactly numeric
literals or string literals; previously it said "bound_literal" which was
defined nowhere. Replace confusing --- and, I think, incorrect in detail ---
definition of how range bounds work with a reference to row-wise comparison
plus a concrete example (which I stole from Robert Haas). Minor copy-editing
in the same area. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/30475.1496005465@sss.pgh.pa.us Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/28106.1496041449@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0198c277a29a035aa8a4e6767967201135f6caa9

- Fix bit-rot in pg_upgrade's test.sh, and improve documentation. Doing a
cross-version upgrade test with test.sh evidently hasn't been tested since
circa 9.2, because the script lacked case branches for old-version servers
newer than 9.1. Future-proof that a bit, and clean up breakage induced by our
recent drop of V0 function call protocol (namely that oldstyle_length() isn't
in the regression suite anymore). (This isn't enough to make the test work
perfectly cleanly across versions, but at least it finishes and provides dump
files that you can diff manually. One issue I didn't touch is that we might
want to execute the "reindex_hash.sql" file in the new DB before dumping it,
so that the hash indexes don't vanish from the dump.) Improve the TESTING doc
file: put the tl;dr version at the top not the bottom, and bring its
explanation of how to run a cross-version test up to speed, since the
installcheck target isn't there and won't be resurrected. Improve the comment
in the Makefile about why not. In passing, teach .gitignore and "make clean"
about a couple more junk output files. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/14058.1496892482@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5bab1985dfc25eecf4b098145789955c0b246160

- Handle unqualified SEQUENCE NAME options properly in parse_utilcmd.c.
generateSerialExtraStmts() was sloppy about handling the case where SEQUENCE
NAME is given with a not-schema-qualified name. It was generating a
CreateSeqStmt with an unqualified sequence name, and an AlterSeqStmt whose
"owned_by" DefElem contained a T_String Value with a null string pointer in
the schema-name position. The generated nextval() argument was also
underqualified. This accidentally failed to fail at runtime, but only so long
as the current default creation namespace at runtime is the right namespace.
That's bogus; the parse-time transformation is supposed to be inserting the
right schema name in all cases, so as to avoid any possible skew in that
selection. I'm not sure this could fail in pg_dump's usage, but it's still
wrong; we have had real bugs in this area before adopting the policy that
parse_utilcmd.c should generate only fully-qualified auxiliary commands. A
slightly lesser problem, which is what led me to notice this in the first
place, is that pprint() dumped core on the AlterSeqStmt because of the bogus
T_String. Noted while poking into the open problem with ALTER SEQUENCE
breaking pg_upgrade.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/51893985d3bcf27304283f7fa67f17e017d2dafd

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- Fix comments in simplehash.h. Jeff Janes and me. Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1zYnniLYg+W9itL93DXebCjx6Uk6m_=Xa8p_zM65X3S0Q@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/553e16951c0db4e3d2d0f804ff7f9d2ac0a96fe5

- Fix typo in error message. Daniele Varrazzo Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+mi_8bqY5THP8hLKKSdMEr5GCz6M=hD6_uLbvFeyEBfwqUxeA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/af51fea039bb8e00066d68d919312df1701dc03e

- Fix double-free bug in GSS authentication. The logic to free the buffer after
the gss_init_sec_context() call was always a bit wonky. Because
gss_init_sec_context() sets the GSS context variable, conn->gctx, we would in
fact always attempt to free the buffer. That only works, because previously
conn->ginbuf.value was initialized to NULL, and free(NULL) is a no-op. Commit
61bf96cab0 refactored things so that the GSS input token buffer is allocated
locally in pg_GSS_continue, and not held in the PGconn object. After that, the
now-local ginbuf.value variable isn't initialized when it's not used, so we
pass a bogus pointer to free(). To fix, only try to free the input buffer if
we allocated it. That was the intention, certainly after the refactoring, and
probably even before that. But because there's no live bug before the
refactoring, I refrained from backpatching this. The bug was also
independently reported by Graham Dutton, as bug #14690. Patch reviewed by
Michael Paquier. Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/6288d80e-a0bf-d4d3-4e12-7b79c77f1771%40iki.fi
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170605130954.1438.90535%40wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3344582e6f1605d69bef008c4e489cafd9610cfe

- Clear auth context correctly when re-connecting after failed auth attempt. If
authentication over an SSL connection fails, with sslmode=prefer, libpq will
reconnect without SSL and retry. However, we did not clear the variables
related to GSS, SSPI, and SASL authentication state, when reconnecting.
Because of that, the second authentication attempt would always fail with a
"duplicate GSS/SASL authentication request" error. pg_SSPI_startup did not
check for duplicate authentication requests like the corresponding GSS and
SASL functions, so with SSPI, you would leak some memory instead. Another way
this could manifest itself, on version 10, is if you list multiple hostnames
in the "host" parameter. If the first server requests Kerberos or SCRAM
authentication, but it fails, the attempts to connect to the other servers
will also fail with "duplicate authentication request" errors. To fix, move
the clearing of authentication state from closePGconn to pgDropConnection, so
that it is cleared also when re-connecting. Patch by Michael Paquier, with
some kibitzing by me. Backpatch down to 9.3. 9.2 has the same bug, but the
code around closing the connection is somewhat different, so that this patch
doesn't apply. To fix this in 9.2, I think we would need to back-port commit
210eb9b743 first, and then apply this patch. However, given that we only
bumped into this in our own testing, we haven't heard any reports from users
about this, and that 9.2 will be end-of-lifed in a couple of months anyway, it
doesn't seem worth the risk and trouble. Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqRuOUm0MyJaUy9L3eXYJU3AKCZ-0-03=-aDTZJGV4GyWw@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e6c33d594a004a2c831cdff1a16276347d30f703

- Improve authentication error messages. Most of the improvements were in the
new SCRAM code: * In SCRAM protocol violation messages, use errdetail to
provide the details. * If pg_backend_random() fails, throw an ERROR rather
than just LOG. We shouldn't continue authentication if we can't generate a
random nonce. * Use ereport() rather than elog() for the "invalid SCRAM
verifier" messages. They shouldn't happen, if everything works, but it's not
inconceivable that someone would have invalid scram verifiers in pg_authid,
e.g. if a broken client application was used to generate the verifier. But
this change applied to old code: * Use ERROR rather than COMMERROR for
protocol violation errors. There's no reason to not tell the client what they
did wrong. The client might be confused already, so that it cannot read and
display the error correctly, but let's at least try. In the "invalid password
packet size" case, we used to actually continue with authentication anyway,
but that is now a hard error. Patch by Michael Paquier and me. Thanks to
Daniel Varrazzo for spotting the typo in one of the messages that spurred the
discussion and these larger changes. Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2Bmi_8aZYLhuyQi1Jo0hO19opNZ2OEATEOM5fKApH7P6zTOZGg%40mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e3df8f8b93e77c33fa7abb6aca64e07531592130

- Fix script name in README. The script was rewritten in Perl, and renamed from
regress.sh to regress.pl, back in 2012.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/67d370e619897ace44285b1fe10fd788119242ac

- Give a better error message on invalid hostaddr option. If you accidentally
pass a host name in the hostaddr option, e.g. hostaddr=localhost, you get an
error like: psql: could not translate host name "localhost" to address: Name
or service not known That's a bit confusing, because it implies that we tried
to look up "localhost" in DNS, but it failed. To make it more clear that we
tried to parse "localhost" as a numeric network address, change the message
to: psql: could not parse network address "localhost": Name or service not
known Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/10badbc6-4d5a-a769-623a-f7ada43e14dd@iki.fi
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/76b11e8a43eca4612dfccfe7f3ebd293fb8a46ec

- Silence warning about uninitialized 'ret' variable on some compilers. If the
compiler doesn't notice that the switch-statement handles all possible values
of the enum, it might complain that 'ret' is being used without
initialization. Jeff Janes reported that on gcc 4.4.7. Discussion:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1x31RvP+cpooFbmc8K8nt-gNO8woGFhXcgQYYZ5ozYpFA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/493490cbcb19c5232038827b114a4ec72aa3e731

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Find openssl lib files in right directory for MSVC. Some openssl builds put
their lib files in a VC subdirectory, others do not. Cater for both cases.
Backpatch to all live branches. From an offline discussion with Leonardo
Cecchi.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/614350a3ab73992f48c86e26552a2cbf030180e2

- Fix thinko in previous openssl change.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2e02136fe688046cd3b3c0bbcdd6ba970932ec8e

- Mark to_tsvector(regconfig,json[b]) functions immutable. This make them
consistent with the text function and means they can be used in functional
indexes. Catalog version bumped. Per gripe from Josh Berkus.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f7e6853e1a2ee2badd988f5e49e4ceb6a2b15b7f

- Take PROVE_FLAGS from the command line but not the environment. This reverts
commit 56b6ef893fee9e9bf47d927a02f4d1ea911f4d9c and instead makes vcregress.pl
parse out PROVE_FLAGS from a command line argument when doing a TAP test, thus
making it consistent with the makefile treatment. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/c26a7416-2fb9-34ab-7991-618c922f896e%402ndquadrant.com
Backpatch to 9.4 like previous patch.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/93b7d9731f184e764c642266ecd74be24db73a6e

Andres Freund pushed:

- Fix record length computation in pg_waldump/xlogdump. The current method of
computing the record length (excluding the lenght of full-page images) has
been wrong since the WAL format has been revamped in
2c03216d831160bedd72d45f712601b6f7d03f1c. Only the main record's length was
counted, but that can be significantly too little if there's data associated
with further blocks. Fix by computing the record length as total_lenght -
fpi_length. Reported-By: Chen Huajun Bug: #14687 Reviewed-By: Heikki
Linnakangas Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20170603165939.1436.58887@wrigleys.postgresql.org
Backpatch: 9.5-
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c25ed20067d21a97242a023031fcdcc232d6945c

- Prevent possibility of panics during shutdown checkpoint. When the
checkpointer writes the shutdown checkpoint, it checks afterwards whether any
WAL has been written since it started and throws a PANIC if so. At that
point, only walsenders are still active, so one might think this could not
happen, but walsenders can also generate WAL, for instance in BASE_BACKUP and
logical decoding related commands (e.g. via hint bits). So they can trigger
this panic if such a command is run while the shutdown checkpoint is being
written. To fix this, divide the walsender shutdown into two phases. First,
checkpointer, itself triggered by postmaster, sends a
PROCSIG_WALSND_INIT_STOPPING signal to all walsenders. If the backend is idle
or runs an SQL query this causes the backend to shutdown, if logical
replication is in progress all existing WAL records are processed followed by
a shutdown. Otherwise this causes the walsender to switch to the "stopping"
state. In this state, the walsender will reject any further replication
commands. The checkpointer begins the shutdown checkpoint once all walsenders
are confirmed as stopping. When the shutdown checkpoint finishes, the
postmaster sends us SIGUSR2. This instructs walsender to send any outstanding
WAL, including the shutdown checkpoint record, wait for it to be replicated to
the standby, and then exit. Author: Andres Freund, based on an earlier patch
by Michael Paquier Reported-By: Fujii Masao, Andres Freund Reviewed-By:
Michael Paquier Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20170602002912.tqlwn4gymzlxpvs2@alap3.anarazel.de
Backpatch: 9.4, where logical decoding was introduced
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c6c333436491a292d56044ed6e167e2bdee015a2

- Have walsenders participate in procsignal infrastructure. The
non-participation in procsignal was a problem for both changes in master, e.g.
parallelism not working for normal statements run in walsender backends, and
older branches, e.g. recovery conflicts and catchup interrupts not working for
logical decoding walsenders. This commit thus replaces the previous
WalSndXLogSendHandler with procsignal_sigusr1_handler. In branches since
db0f6cad48 that can lead to additional SetLatch calls, but that only rarely
seems to make a difference. Author: Andres Freund Reviewed-By: Michael
Paquier Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20170421014030.fdzvvvbrz4nckrow@alap3.anarazel.de
Backpatch: 9.4, earlier commits don't seem to benefit sufficiently
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/47fd420fb4d3e77dde960312f8672c82b14ecbad

- Unify SIGHUP handling between normal and walsender backends. Because
walsender and normal backends share the same main loop it's problematic to
have two different flag variables, set in signal handlers, indicating a
pending configuration reload. Only certain walsender commands reach code
paths checking for the variable (START_[LOGICAL_]REPLICATION,
CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT ... LOGICAL, notably not base backups). This is a bug
present since the introduction of walsender, but has gotten worse in releases
since then which allow walsender to do more. A later patch, not slated for
v10, will similarly unify SIGHUP handling in other types of processes as well.
Author: Petr Jelinek, Andres Freund Reviewed-By: Michael Paquier Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20170423235941.qosiuoyqprq4nu7v@alap3.anarazel.de
Backpatch: 9.2-, bug is present since 9.0
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6e1dd2773eb60a6ab87b27b8d9391b756e904ac3

- Wire up query cancel interrupt for walsender backends. This allows to cancel
commands run over replication connections. While it might have some use before
v10, it has become important now that normal SQL commands are allowed in
database connected walsender connections. Author: Petr Jelinek Reviewed-By:
Andres Freund, Michael Paquier Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/7966f454-7cd7-2b0c-8b70-cdca9d5a8c97@2ndquadrant.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c1abe6c786d8f00643de8519140d77644b474163

- Revert "Prevent panic during shutdown checkpoint". This reverts commit
086221cf6b1727c2baed4703c582f657b7c5350e, which was made to master only. The
approach implemented in the above commit has some issues. While those could
easily be fixed incrementally, doing so would make backpatching considerably
harder, so instead first revert this patch. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20170602002912.tqlwn4gymzlxpvs2@alap3.anarazel.de
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/703f148e98ecb4b299fdad403fc5a1de51220714

- Clean up latch related code. The larger part of this patch replaces usages of
MyProc->procLatch with MyLatch. The latter works even early during backend
startup, where MyProc->procLatch doesn't yet. While the affected code
shouldn't run in cases where it's not initialized, it might get copied into
places where it might. Using MyLatch is simpler and a bit faster to boot, so
there's little point to stick with the previous coding. While doing so I
noticed some weaknesses around newly introduced uses of latches that could
lead to missed events, and an omitted CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() call in
worker_spi. As all the actual bugs are in v10 code, there doesn't seem to be
sufficient reason to backpatch this. Author: Andres Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/20170606195321.sjmenrfgl2nu6j63@alap3.anarazel.de
https://postgr.es/m/20170606210405.sim3yl6vpudhmufo@alap3.anarazel.de
Backpatch: -
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9206ced1dc05d3a9cc99faafa22d5d8b16d998d1

- Again report a useful error message when walreceiver's connection closes.
Since 7c4f52409a8c (merged in v10), a shutdown master is reported as FATAL:
unexpected result after CommandComplete: server closed the connection
unexpectedly by walsender. It used to be LOG: replication terminated by
primary server FATAL: could not send end-of-streaming message to primary: no
COPY in progress while the old message clearly is not perfect, it's definitely
better than what's reported now. The change comes from the attempt to handle
finished COPYs without erroring out, needed for the new logical replication,
which wasn't needed before. There's probably better ways to handle this, but
for now just explicitly check for a closed connection. Author: Petr Jelinek
Reviewed-By: Andres Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/f7c7dd08-855c-e4ed-41f4-d064a6c0665a@2ndquadrant.com
Backpatch: -
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5fd56b9f5b4a007a4122c313a184f78f1647c4ab

- Use standard interrupt handling in logical replication launcher. Previously
the exit handling was only able to exit from within the main loop, and not
from within the backend code it calls. Fix that by using the standard die()
SIGTERM handler, and adding the necessary CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() call. This
requires adding yet another process-type-specific branch to
ProcessInterrupts(), which hints that we probably should generalize that
handling. But that's work for another day. Author: Petr Jelinek Reviewed-By:
Andres Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/fe072153-babd-3b5d-8052-73527a6eb657@2ndquadrant.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2c48f5db64b1b999b08052115a5ce873343c372a

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Ignore WL_POSTMASTER_DEATH latch event in single user mode. Otherwise code
that uses this will abort with an assertion failure, because
postmaster_alive_fds are not initialized. Reported-by: tushar
<tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/06bfb801c73c89e66f44c1cf693386793e98b637

- Fix ALTER SUBSCRIPTION grammar ambiguity. There was a grammar ambiguity
between SET PUBLICATION name REFRESH and SET PUBLICATION SKIP REFRESH, because
SKIP is not a reserved word. To resolve that, fold the refresh choice into
the WITH options. Refreshing is the default now. Reported-by: tushar
<tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9907b55ceb17f55bb508a1f24027a57530d84442

- Don't set application_name in logical replication workers. This was bothering
some people because it's not the intended use of application_name and it makes
the default view of pg_stat_activity bulky.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/41a21bf9b4a2449eddc8ea2b29597e835eea9bfd

- Improve handover logic between sync and apply workers. Make apply busy wait
check the catalog instead of shmem state to ensure that next transaction will
see the expected table synchronization state. Also make the handover always
go through same set of steps to make the overall process easier to understand
and debug. Author: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> Tested-by:
Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz> Tested-by: Erik Rijkers
<er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e3a815d2faa5be28551e71d5db44fb2c78133433

- Consistently use subscription name as application name. The logical
replication apply worker uses the subscription name as application name,
except for table sync. This was incorrectly set to use the replication slot
name, which might be different, in one case. Also add a comment why the other
case is different.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d4bfc06e292ee2f537f42d4ed216209c4537ee92

- Fix updating of pg_subscription_rel from workers. A logical replication
worker should not insert new rows into pg_subscription_rel, only update
existing rows, so that there are no races if a concurrent refresh removes
rows. Adjust the API to be able to choose that behavior. Author: Masahiko
Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> Reported-by: tushar
<tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/644ea35fc1352d845299563c7ddfb8b524ed27d9

- Put new command-line options in alphabetical order.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7ff9812f9aef584b6ee076378d77a09a68f12d97

- Update key words table for version 10.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5c4109f2c8c2027114cfdc7c0617f81928a0b10e

- Improve tablesync behavior with concurrent changes. When a table is removed
from a subscription before the tablesync worker could start, this would
previously result in an error when reading pg_subscription_rel. Now we just
ignore this. Author: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8dc7c338129d22a52d4afcf2f83a73041119efda

- psql: Update tab completion for ALTER SUBSCRIPTION. Author: Masahiko Sawada
<sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/57f2ff00d7e25ffe33d7e2955428c005d2511277

- Fix typo. Author: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dabbe8d56470f456e997700efa7d592306ca4274

- Update code comments. Author: Neha Khatri <nehakhatri5(at)gmail(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8c9387c55e67ca7c23bb8ffd7e8342cca7be127b

- Formatting improvements in config file samples.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e11e24b1ed619ca329a532e5e5ae8b4e5e728f71

- doc: Document that subscriptions to same server might hang.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0933fcee9851eb2afcd41db1ee4425153f4cbdd3

- doc: Improve types in example. Reported-by: Nikolaus Thiel <klt(at)fsfe(dot)org>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0332993c4e14f13b211f41535f77aadb305fd354

- doc: Add Node.js and Go drivers to client interfaces. Also, fix client
interface JDBC language name to Java. Author: Sehrope Sarkuni
<sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e20f679f66fb7930215a1b59f13b5b1c06bfc456

Michael Meskes pushed:

- Fix docs to not claim ECPG's SET CONNECTION is not thread-aware. Changed by:
Tsunakawa, Takayuki <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0f33ee0e3b7527fb0c88abf0ae8a49a9c38d9c0e

Robert Haas pushed:

- Clean up partcollation handling for OID 0. Consistent with what we do for
indexes, we shouldn't try to record dependencies on collation OID 0 or the
default collation OID (which is pinned). Also, the fact that indcollation and
partcollation can contain zero OIDs when the data type is not collatable
should be documented. Amit Langote, per a complaint from me. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CA+Tgmoba5mtPgM3NKfG06vv8na5gGbVOj0h4zvivXQwLw8wXXQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2186b608b3cb859fe0ec04015a5c4e4cbf69caed

- Use NIL rather than NULL to represent an empty list. Just to be tidy. Amit
Langote Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/9297f80f-e4ab-7dda-33d4-8580bab6d634@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3106829513ab7c8e46e94db103f1ef8d8dfd379b

- Fix some cases of "the the" split across two lines. Kevin Grittner observed
that 2186b608b3cb859fe0ec04015a5c4e4cbf69caed introduced a new occurence of
this by copying existing text, and I found a few more cases using grep.
http://postgr.es/m/CADAecHWfG-K+YvocHCkrXV-ycm+eUOaaUVfYZNOnwf0pSmuQCw@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/79c4fa0f62291fd30d126a12f35b9ce71f06b3c0

- Prevent BEFORE triggers from violating partitioning constraints. Since
tuple-routing implicitly checks the partitioning constraints at least for the
levels of the partitioning hierarchy it traverses, there's normally no need to
revalidate the partitioning constraint after performing tuple routing.
However, if there's a BEFORE trigger on the target partition, it could modify
the tuple, causing the partitioning constraint to be violated. Catch that
case. Also, instead of checking the root table's partition constraint after
tuple-routing, check it beforehand. Otherwise, the rules for when the
partitioning constraint gets checked get too complicated, because you
sometimes have to check part of the constraint but not all of it. This
effectively reverts commit 39162b2030fb0a35a6bb28dc636b5a71b8df8d1c in favor
of a different approach altogether. Report by me. Initial debugging by
Jeevan Ladhe. Patch by Amit Langote, reviewed by me. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CA+Tgmoa9DTgeVOqopieV8d1QRpddmP65aCdxyjdYDoEO5pS5KA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/15ce775faa428dc91027e4e2d6b7a167a27118b5

- postgres_fdw: Allow cancellation of transaction control commands. Commit
f039eaac7131ef2a4cf63a10cf98486f8bcd09d2, later back-patched with commit
1b812afb0eafe125b820cc3b95e7ca03821aa675, allowed many of the queries issued
by postgres_fdw to fetch remote data to respond to cancel interrupts in a
timely fashion. However, it didn't do anything about the transaction control
commands, which remained noninterruptible. Improve the situation by changing
do_sql_command() to retrieve query results using pgfdw_get_result(), which
uses the asynchronous interface to libpq so that it can check for interrupts
every time libpq returns control. Since this might result in a situation
where we can no longer be sure that the remote transaction state matches the
local transaction state, add a facility to force all levels of the local
transaction to abort if we've lost track of the remote state; without this, an
apparently-successful commit of the local transaction might fail to commit
changes made on the remote side. Also, add a 60-second timeout for queries
issue during transaction abort; if that expires, give up and mark the state of
the connection as unknown. Drop all such connections when we exit the local
transaction. Together, these changes mean that if we're aborting the local
toplevel transaction anyway, we can just drop the remote connection in lieu of
waiting (possibly for a very long time) for it to complete an abort. This
still leaves quite a bit of room for improvement. PQcancel() has no
asynchronous interface, so if we get stuck sending the cancel request we'll
still hang. Also, PQsetnonblocking() is not used, which means we could block
uninterruptibly when sending a query. There might be some other optimizations
possible as well. Nonetheless, this allows us to escape a wait for an
unresponsive remote server quickly in many more cases than previously. Report
by Suraj Kharage. Patch by me and Rafia Sabih. Review and testing by Amit
Kapila and Tushar Ahuja. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAF1DzPU8Kx+fMXEbFoP289xtm3bz3t+ZfxhmKavr98Bh-C0TqQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ae9bfc5d65123aaa0d1cca9988037489760bdeae

- Add statistics subdirectory to Makefile. Commit
7b504eb282ca2f5104b5c00b4f05a3ef6bb1385b overlooked this. Report and patch by
Kyotaro Horiguchi Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/20170608.145852.54673832.horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0eac8e7ff7ebb807f479dd10aa7c88b799a7e319

Joe Conway pushed:

- Fix contrib/sepgsql regr tests for tup-routing constraint check change.
Commit 15ce775 changed tuple-routing constraint checking logic. This affects
the expected output for contrib/sepgsql, because there's no longer LOG entries
reporting allowance of int4eq() execution. Per buildfarm.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/06c0afe56e7aa6e8ab9ea2dd92bac2220201affe

- Apply RLS policies to partitioned tables. The new partitioned table
capability added a new relkind, namely RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE. Update
fireRIRrules() to apply RLS policies on RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE as it does
RELKIND_RELATION. In addition, add RLS regression test coverage for
partitioned tables. Issue raised by Fakhroutdinov Evgenievich and patch by
Mike Palmiotto. Regression test editorializing by me. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/flat/20170601065959(dot)1486(dot)69906(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4f7a95be2c112bdc8da5f7e46cbb743b8ba4cc21

== Pending Patches ==

Jing Wang sent in a patch to add support for COMMENT ON ... CURRENT DATABASE.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to implement \gdesc in psql.

Atsushi Torikoshi and Ashutosh Bapat traded patches to fix a typo in
README.dependencies.

Tom Lane sent in a patch to retry shm attach for Windows.

Etsuro Fujita sent in another revision of a patch to adjust inherited update
tlist.

Beena Emerson sent in another revision of a patch to implement default
partition for range-partitioned tables.

Etsuro Fujita sent in a patch to update comments in nodeModifyTable.c.

Yura Sokolov sent in a patch to fix a performance degradation from contended
LWLocks on NUMA.

Rahila Syed and Mithun Cy traded patches to implement auto_prewarm.

Amul Sul sent in another revision of a patch to implement hash partitioning.

Dang Minh Huong and Man Trieu traded patches to ensure that the unaccenting
process actually ends in completely unaccented letters.

Andres Freund sent in a patch to clean up latch related code.

Tom Lane sent in a patch to log parallel worker start and stop.

Michaël Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to improve TAP test
stability.

Thomas Munro sent in three more revisions of a patch to fix an infelicity
between transition tables and wCTEs.

Jeevan Ladhe and Ashutosh Bapat traded patches to add support for default
partitions.

Chapman Flack sent in a patch to PostgresNode to make get_new_node be able to be
a class-method.

Michaël Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to fix race conditions with
WAL sender PID lookups.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to install include/statistics directory on
make install.

Amit Khandekar sent in two more revisions of a patch to update partition keys in
partitioned tables.

Fabien COELHO sent in another revision of a patch to add pgbench TAP tests and
minor fixes.

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to implement pg_receivewal --endpos.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to implement fixes around partition constraint
handling when attaching.

Tom Lane sent in two revisions of a patch to prohibit conditional SRF.

Thomas Munro sent in two more revisions of a patch to fix transition tuples from
child tables.

Thomas Munro sent in two revisions of a patch to fix an infelicity between
transition tables and ON CONFLICT.

Konstantin Knizhnik sent in another revision of a patch to implement projection
functional indexes.

Jim Van Fleet sent in a patch to split ProcArrayLock into multiple parts.

Heikki Linnakangas sent in a patch to allow multiple hostaddrs to go with
multiple hostnames.

Masahiko Sawada and Jeff Janes traded patches to add an "All Tables" column to
psql's \dRp and \dRp+.

Vinayak Pokale sent in two revisions of a patch to add WHENEVER statement DO
CONTINUE support to ECPG.

Erik Rijkers sent in a patch to improve some comments in tablesync.c.

Ashutosh Sharma sent in a patch to add ICU support on Windows.

Mark Rofail sent in a patch to put in some infrastructure for implementing
foreign key arrays.

Álvaro Herrera sent in a patch to fix an earlier patch for
translation-friendliness.

Dean Rasheed sent in a patch to give relation_is_updatable() the message about
partitioned tables.

Christian Ullrich sent in a patch to work around the fact that the VS 2013
CRT's setlocale() function is not entirely thread-safe.

Tom Lane sent in a patch to fix sequence pg_upgrade.

Yugo Nagata sent in a patch to fix a documentation typo in ALTER TABLE example.

Thomas Munro sent in two revisions of a patch to fix some infelicities between
named tuplestores and enrtuples.

Ashutosh Sharma sent in a patch to fix ICU collation on Windows.