== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 09 2016 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 09 2016 ==
Date: 2016-10-09 22:51:09
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 09 2016 ==

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

SEQUEL for PostgreSQL, a client application for macOS, released.
https://sequel.tech/

pglogical 1.2, a logical-WAL-based replication system for PostgreSQL, released.
https://2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/pglogical/

repmgr 3.2, a replication manager for PostgreSQL, released.
http://repmgr.org/release-notes-3.2.html

Ajqvue Version 1.10, a java-based UI which supports PostgreSQL, released.
http://ajqvue.com

== PostgreSQL Jobs for October ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2016-10/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

Postgres Vision 2016 will be held October 11-13, 2016, in San Francisco.
http://postgresvision.com/

The Korean Users Group will hold its first PGDay event on October 15, 2016 in Seoul.
http://pgday.postgresql.kr/

PostgreSQL Conference Europe will take place in Tallin, Estonia, on
November 1-4, 2016. The schedule has been published.
http://2016.pgconf.eu/registration/

PGDay Austin 2016, will take place on November 12, 2016. Submission deadline
is September 21, 2016 by midnight CST. Details and submission form at:
https://www.postgresql.us/events/2016/austin

PgConf Silicon Valley 2016 will be held on November 14-16, 2016.
http://www.pgconfsv.com/

CHAR(16) will take place in New York, December 6, 2016.
http://charconference.org/

PGDay.IT 2016 will take place in Prato on December the 13th 2016.
http://pgday.it

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Enforce a specific order for probing library loadability in pg_upgrade.
pg_upgrade checks whether all the shared libraries used in the old cluster are
also available in the new one by issuing LOAD for each library name.
Previously, it cared not what order it did the LOADs in. Ideally it should
not have to care, but currently the transform modules in contrib fail unless
both the language and datatype modules they depend on are loaded first. A
backend-side solution for that looks possible but probably not back-patchable,
so as a stopgap measure, let's do the LOAD tests in order by library name
length. That should fix the problem for reasonably-named transform modules,
eg "hstore_plpython" will be loaded after both "hstore" and "plpython".
(Yeah, it's a hack.) In a larger sense, having a predictable order of these
probes is a good thing, since it will make upgrades predictably work or not
work in the face of inter-library dependencies. Also, this patch replaces
O(N^2) de-duplication logic with O(N log N) logic, which could matter in
installations with very many databases. So I don't foresee reverting this
even after we have a proper fix for the library-dependency problem. In
passing, improve a couple of SQL queries used here. Per complaint from Andrew
Dunstan that pg_upgrade'ing the transform contrib modules failed. Back-patch
to 9.5 where transform modules were introduced. Discussion:
<f7ac29f3-515c-2a44-21c5-ec925053265f(at)dunslane(dot)net>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/83c2492002162bf79d2a0811bff5724e395909d7

- Show a sensible value in pg_settings.unit for GUC_UNIT_XSEGS variables.
Commit 88e982302 invented GUC_UNIT_XSEGS for min_wal_size and max_wal_size,
but neglected to make it display sensibly in pg_settings.unit (by adding a
case to the switch in GetConfigOptionByNum). Fix that, and adjust said switch
to throw a run-time error the next time somebody forgets. In passing, avoid
using a static buffer for the output string --- the rest of this function
pstrdup's from a local buffer, and I see no very good reason why the units
code should do it differently and less safely. Per report from Otar Shavadze.
Back-patch to 9.5 where the new unit type was added. Report:
<CAG-jOyA=iNFhN+yB4vfvqh688B7Tr5SArbYcFUAjZi=0Exp-Lg(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6bc811c992a804bdb8d228ce0be9f0a8e7198df6

- Convert contrib/hstore_plpython to not use direct linking to other modules.
Previously, on most platforms, we allowed hstore_plpython's references to
hstore and plpython to be unresolved symbols at link time, trusting the
dynamic linker to resolve them when the module is loaded. This has a number
of problems, the worst being that the dynamic linker does not know where the
references come from and can do nothing but fail if those other modules
haven't been loaded. We've more or less gotten away with that for the limited
use-case of datatype transform modules, but even there, it requires some
awkward hacks, most recently commit 83c249200. Instead, let's not treat these
references as linker-resolvable at all, but use function pointers that are
manually filled in by the module's _PG_init function. There are few enough
contact points that this doesn't seem unmaintainable, at least for these
use-cases. (Note that the same technique wouldn't work at all for decoupling
from libpython itself, but fortunately that's just a standard shared library
and can be linked to normally.) This is an initial patch that just converts
hstore_plpython. If the buildfarm doesn't find any fatal problems, I'll work
on the other transform modules soon. Tom Lane, per an idea of Andres
Freund's. Discussion: <2652(dot)1475512158(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d51924be886c2a05e691fa05b16cb6b30ab8370f

- Fix hstore_plpython for Python 3. In commit d51924be8, I overlooked the need
to provide linkage for PLyUnicode_FromStringAndSize, because that's only used
(and indeed only exists) in Python 3 builds. In light of the need to #if this
item, rearrange the ordering of the code related to each function pointer, so
as not to need more #if's than absolutely necessary. Per buildfarm.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/490ed1ebb9b26fb342a1e3240107092e9c5aec02

- Improve (I hope) our autolocation of the Python shared library. Older
versions of Python produce garbage (or at least useless) values of
get_config_vars('LDLIBRARY'). Newer versions produce garbage (or at least
useless) values of get_config_vars('SO'), which was defeating our configure
logic that attempted to identify where the Python shlib really is. The net
result, at least with a stock Python 3.5 installation on macOS, was that we
were linking against a static library in the mistaken belief that it was a
shared library. This managed to work, if you count statically absorbing
libpython into plpython.so as working. But it no longer works as of commit
d51924be8, because now we get separate static copies of libpython in
plpython.so and hstore_plpython.so, and those can't interoperate on the same
data. There are some other infelicities like assuming that nobody ever
installs a private version of Python on a macOS machine. Hence, forget about
looking in $python_configdir for the Python shlib; as far as I can tell no
version of Python has ever put one there, and certainly no currently-supported
version does. Also, rather than relying on get_config_vars('SO'), just try
all the possibilities for shlib extensions. Also, rather than trusting
Py_ENABLE_SHARED, believe we've found a shlib only if it has a recognized
extension. Last, explicitly cope with the possibility that the shlib is
really in /usr/lib and $python_libdir is a red herring --- this is the actual
situation on older macOS, but we were only accidentally working with it.
Discussion: <5300(dot)1475592228(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/46ddbbb1177a7e6ce5a4fe0ef8fa8ac49f36d0bb

- Avoid direct cross-module links in hstore_plperl and ltree_plpython, too.
Just turning the crank on the project started in commit d51924be8. These
cases turn out to be exact subsets of the boilerplate needed for
hstore_plpython. Discussion: <2652(dot)1475512158(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/eda04886c1e048d695728206504ab4198462168e

- Huh, we do need to look in $python_configdir for the Python shlib. Debian
does it that way, for no doubt what seems to them a good reason. Thanks to
Aidan Van Dyk for confirmation.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fc76259f5b8473dbd3d2009b0e4a267cf3a7e704

- In python shlib probe, cater for OpenBSD, which omits the .so symlink. Most
Unix-oid platforms provide a symlink "libfoo.so" -> "libfoo.so.n.n" to allow
the linker to resolve a reference "-lfoo" to a version-numbered shared
library. OpenBSD has apparently hacked ld(1) to do this internally, because
there are no such symlinks to be found in their library directories. Tweak
the new code in PGAC_CHECK_PYTHON_EMBED_SETUP to cope. Per buildfarm member
curculio.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ddd4f82cb6f65354776541dfac3bedf680e0e303

- Try to fix python shlib probe for MinGW. Per discussion with Andrew Dunstan,
it seems there are three peculiarities of the Python installation on MinGW (or
at least, of the instance on buildfarm member frogmouth). First, the library
name doesn't contain "2.7" but just "27". It looks like we can deal with that
by consulting get_config_vars('VERSION') to see whether a dot should be used
or not. Second, the library might be in c:/Windows/System32, analogously to
it possibly being in /usr/lib on Unix-oid platforms. Third, it's apparently
not standard to use the prefix "lib" on the file name. This patch will accept
files with or without "lib", but the first part of that may well be dead code.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/11c0e743b67acc9a0406b6058ed24de5e5527cf0

- Remove -Wl,-undefined,dynamic_lookup in macOS build. We don't need this
anymore, and it prevents build-time error checking that's usually good to
have, so remove it. Undoes one change of commit cac765820. Unfortunately,
it's much harder to get a similar effect on other common platforms, because we
don't want the linker to throw errors for symbols that will be resolved in the
core backend. Only macOS and AIX expect the core backend executable to be
available while linking loadable modules, so only these platforms can usefully
throw errors for unresolved symbols at link time. Discussion:
<2652(dot)1475512158(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bfe2e847811a4d0a46c8cdf16195c0e5929b6f83

- Fix pg_dump to work against pre-9.0 servers again. getBlobs' queries for
pre-9.0 servers were broken in two ways: the 7.x/8.x query uses DISTINCT so it
can't have unspecified-type NULLs in the target list, and both that query and
the 7.0 one failed to provide the correct output column labels, so that the
subsequent code to extract data from the PGresult would fail. Back-patch to
9.6 where the breakage was introduced (by commit 23f34fa4b). Amit Langote and
Tom Lane Discussion: <0a3e7a0e-37bd-8427-29bd-958135862f0a(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4806f26f9e4273888cbf85f42b3bdc5e9d950ba6

- Fix python shlib probe for Cygwin. On buildfarm member cockatiel, that
library is in /usr/bin. (Possibly we should look at $PATH on this platform?)
Per off-list report from Andrew Dunstan.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/17a3a1eb0efc5d84c81e46a26fe6bd21dbe90de9

- libpqwalreceiver needs to link with libintl when using --enable-nls. The need
for this was previously obscured even on picky platforms by the hack we used
to support direct cross-module references in the transforms contrib modules.
Now that that hack is gone, the undefined symbol is exposed, as reported by
Robert Haas. Back-patch to 9.5 where we started to use
-Wl,-undefined,dynamic_lookup. I'm a bit surprised that the older branches
don't seem to contain any gettext references in this module, but since they
don't fail at build time, they must not. (We might be able to get away with
leaving this alone in 9.5/9.6, but I think it's cleaner if the reference gets
resolved at link time.) Report:
<CA+TgmoaHJKU5kcWZcYduATYVT7Mnx+8jUnycaYYL7OtCwCigug(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8811f5d3a4a1ebf79ccb00da336d70041b003dd2

- Fix two bugs in merging of inherited CHECK constraints. Historically, we've
allowed users to add a CHECK constraint to a child table and then add an
identical CHECK constraint to the parent. This results in "merging" the two
constraints so that the pre-existing child constraint ends up with both
conislocal = true and coninhcount > 0. However, if you tried to do it in the
other order, you got a duplicate constraint error. This is problematic for
pg_dump, which needs to issue separated ADD CONSTRAINT commands in some cases,
but has no good way to ensure that the constraints will be added in the
required order. And it's more than a bit arbitrary, too. The goal of
complaining about duplicated ADD CONSTRAINT commands can be served if we
reject the case of adding a constraint when the existing one already has
conislocal = true; but if it has conislocal = false, let's just make the ADD
CONSTRAINT set conislocal = true. In this way, either order of adding the
constraints has the same end result. Another problem was that the code
allowed creation of a parent constraint marked convalidated that is merged
with a child constraint that is !convalidated. In this case, an inheritance
scan of the parent table could emit some rows violating the constraint
condition, which would be an unexpected result given the marking of the parent
constraint as validated. Hence, forbid merging of constraints in this case.
(Note: valid child and not-valid parent seems fine, so continue to allow
that.) Per report from Benedikt Grundmann. Back-patch to 9.2 where we
introduced possibly-not-valid check constraints. The second bug obviously
doesn't apply before that, and I think the first doesn't either, because
pg_dump only gets into this situation when dealing with not-valid constraints.
Report:
<CADbMkNPT-Jz5PRSQ4RbUASYAjocV_KHUWapR%2Bg8fNvhUAyRpxA%40mail.gmail.com>
Discussion: <22108(dot)1475874586(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e55a946a81c6648c5ff3a0ccdda242f639e33c6f

- Fix incorrect handling of polymorphic aggregates used as window functions.
The transfunction was told that its first argument and result were of the
window function output type, not the aggregate state type. This'd only matter
if the transfunction consults get_fn_expr_argtype, which typically only
polymorphic functions would do. Although we have several regression tests
around polymorphic aggs, none of them detected this mistake --- in fact, they
still didn't fail when I injected the same mistake into nodeAgg.c. So add
some more tests covering both plain agg and window-function-agg cases. Per
report from Sebastian Luque. Back-patch to 9.6 where the error was introduced
(by sloppy refactoring in commit 804163bc2, looks like). Report:
<87int2qkat(dot)fsf(at)gmail(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ac4a9d92fcb6869e757cc729dca2ca5ccf94b185

- Use unnamed POSIX semaphores, if available, on Linux and FreeBSD. We've had
support for using unnamed POSIX semaphores instead of System V semaphores for
quite some time, but it was not used by default on any platform. Since many
systems have rather small limits on the number of SysV semaphores allowed, it
seems desirable to switch to POSIX semaphores where they're available and
don't create performance or kernel resource problems. Experimentation by me
shows that unnamed POSIX semaphores are at least as good as SysV semaphores on
Linux, and we previously had a report from Maksym Sobolyev that FreeBSD is
significantly worse with SysV semaphores than POSIX ones. So adjust those two
platforms to use unnamed POSIX semaphores, if configure can find the necessary
library functions. If this goes well, we may switch other platforms as well,
but it would be advisable to test them individually first. It's not currently
contemplated that we'd encourage users to select a semaphore API for
themselves, but anyone who wants to experiment can add
PREFERRED_SEMAPHORES=UNNAMED_POSIX (or NAMED_POSIX, or SYSV) to their
configure command line to do so. I also tweaked configure to report which API
it's selected, mainly so that we can tell that from buildfarm reports. I did
not touch the user documentation's discussion about semaphores; that will need
some adjustment once the dust settles. Discussion:
<8536(dot)1475704230(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ecb0d20a9d2e09b7112d3b192047f711f9ff7e59

Stephen Frost pushed:

- Fix RLS with COPY (col1, col2) FROM tab Attempting to COPY a subset of columns
from a table with RLS enabled would fail due to an invalid query being
constructed (using a single ColumnRef with the list of fields to exact in
'fields', but that's for the different levels of an indirection for a single
column, not for specifying multiple columns). Correct by building a ColumnRef
and then RestTarget for each column being requested and then adding those to
the targetList for the select query. Include regression tests to hopefully
catch if this is broken again in the future. Patch-By: Adam Brightwell
Reviewed-By: Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/814b9e9b8edf36cac65e0d8fcef17e50a04b1617

Andres Freund pushed:

- Correct logical decoding restore behaviour for subtransactions. Before
initializing iteration over a subtransaction's changes, the last few changes
were not spilled to disk. That's correct if the transaction didn't spill to
disk, but otherwise... This bug can lead to missed or misorderd subtransaction
contents when they were spilled to disk. Move spilling of the remaining
in-memory changes to ReorderBufferIterTXNInit(), where it can easily be
applied to the top transaction and, if present, subtransactions. Since this
code had too many bugs already, noticeably increase test coverage. Fixes:
#14319 Reported-By: Huan Ruan Discussion:
<20160909012610(dot)20024(dot)58169(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org> Backport: 9,4-, where
logical decoding was added
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/61633f79048d040aefeed68dcac0e0b996a06189

- Fix fallback implementation of pg_atomic_write_u32(). I somehow had assumed
that in the spinlock (in turn possibly using semaphores) based fallback
atomics implementation 32 bit writes could be done without a lock. As far as
the write goes that's correct, since postgres supports only platforms with
single-copy atomicity for aligned 32bit writes. But writing without holding
the spinlock breaks read-modify-write operations like
pg_atomic_compare_exchange_u32(), since they'll potentially "miss" a
concurrent write, which can't happen in actual hardware implementations. In
9.6+ when using the fallback atomics implementation this could lead to buffer
header locks not being properly marked as released, and potentially some
related state corruption. I don't see a related danger in 9.5 (earliest
release with the API), because pg_atomic_write_u32() wasn't used in a
concurrent manner there. The state variable of local buffers, before this
change, were manipulated using pg_atomic_write_u32(), to avoid unnecessary
synchronization overhead. As that'd not be the case anymore, introduce and use
pg_atomic_unlocked_write_u32(), which does not correctly interact with RMW
operations. This bug only caused issues when postgres is compiled on
platforms without atomics support (i.e. no common new platform), or when
compiled with --disable-atomics, which explains why this wasn't noticed in
testing. Reported-By: Tom Lane Discussion: <14947(dot)1475690465(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Backpatch: 9.5-, where the atomic operations API was introduced.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b0779abb3add11d4dd745779dd81ea8ecdd00a1d

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- Update comment. mergepreread()/mergeprereadone() don't exist anymore, the
function that does roughly the same is now called mergereadnext().
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c86c2d9d57c1e6c5fec860873734cccaf31df5b0

- Fix another outdated comment. Preloading is done by logtape.c now.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d4fca5e6c7363ba6ee4de7b8d72d68064fa864ca

- Change the way pre-reading in external sort's merge phase works. Don't
pre-read tuples into SortTuple slots during merge. Instead, use the memory for
larger read buffers in logtape.c. We're doing the same number of READTUP()
calls either way, but managing the pre-read SortTuple slots is much more
complicated. Also, the on-tape representation is more compact than SortTuples,
so we can fit more pre-read tuples into the same amount of memory this way.
And we have better cache-locality, when we use just a small number of
SortTuple slots. Now that we only hold one tuple from each tape in the
SortTuple slots, we can greatly simplify the "batch memory" management. We now
maintain a small set of fixed-sized slots, to hold the tuples, and fall back
to palloc() for larger tuples. We use this method during all merge phases, not
just the final merge, and also when randomAccess is requested, and also in the
TSS_SORTEDONTAPE case. In other words, it's used whenever we do an external
sort. Reviewed by Peter Geoghegan and Claudio Freire. Discussion:
<CAM3SWZTpaORV=yQGVCG8Q4axcZ3MvF-05xe39ZvORdU9JcD6hQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e94568ecc10f2638e542ae34f2990b821bbf90ac

- Fix excessive memory consumption in the new sort pre-reading code.
LogicalTapeRewind() should not allocate large read buffer, if the tape is
completely empty. The calling code relies on that, for its calculation of how
much memory to allocate for the read buffers. That lead to massive
overallocation of memory, if maxTapes was high, but only a few tapes were
actually used. Reported by Tomas Vondra Discussion:
<7303da46-daf7-9c68-3cc1-9f83235cf37e(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b56fb691b0033f9b86e0552bd5adfd485f05eef6

- Disable synchronous commits in pg_rewind. If you point pg_rewind to a server
that is using synchronous replication, with "pg_rewind --source-server=...",
and the replication is not working for some reason, pg_rewind will get stuck
because it creates a temporary table, which needs to be replicated. You could
call broken replication a pilot error, but pg_rewind is often used in special
circumstances, when there are changes to the replication setup. We don't do
any "real" updates, and we don't care about fsyncing or replicating the
operations on the temporary tables, so fix that by setting synchronous_commit
off. Michael Banck, Michael Paquier. Backpatch to 9.5, where pg_rewind was
introduced. Discussion:
<20161005143938(dot)GA12247(at)nighthawk(dot)caipicrew(dot)dd-dns(dot)de>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d7eb76b908a3aac68c23c7d3553c65c80e92b823

- Don't share SSL_CTX between libpq connections. There were several issues with
the old coding: 1. There was a race condition, if two threads opened a
connection at the same time. We used a mutex around SSL_CTX_* calls, but that
was not enough, e.g. if one thread SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations() with one
path, and another thread set it with a different path, before the first thread
got to establish the connection. 2. Opening two different connections, with
different sslrootcert settings, seemed to fail outright with "SSL error: block
type is not 01". Not sure why. 3. We created the SSL object, before calling
SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations and SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain_file on the
SSL context. That was wrong, because the options set on the SSL context are
propagated to the SSL object, when the SSL object is created. If they are set
after the SSL object has already been created, they won't take effect until
the next connection. (This is bug #14329) At least some of these could've been
fixed while still using a shared context, but it would've been more
complicated and error-prone. To keep things simple, let's just use a separate
SSL context for each connection, and accept the overhead. Backpatch to all
supported versions. Report, analysis and test case by Kacper Zuk.
Discussion: <20160920101051(dot)1355(dot)79453(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8bb14cdd33deecc6977cf5638f73e80f76ab658b

- Clear OpenSSL error queue after failed X509_STORE_load_locations() call.
Leaving the error in the error queue used to be harmless, because the
X509_STORE_load_locations() call used to be the last step in initialize_SSL(),
and we would clear the queue before the next SSL_connect() call. But previous
commit moved things around. The symptom was that if a CRL file was not found,
and one of the subsequent initialization steps, like loading the client
certificate or private key, failed, we would incorrectly print the "no such
file" error message from the earlier X509_STORE_load_locations() call as the
reason. Backpatch to all supported versions, like the previous patch.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/275bf98601b230e530003ef20193d095b9309c24

- Don't allow both --source-server and --source-target args to pg_rewind. They
are supposed to be mutually exclusive, but there was no check for that.
Michael Banck Discussion:
<20161007103414(dot)GD12247(at)nighthawk(dot)caipicrew(dot)dd-dns(dot)de>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0d4d7d61850f4f4bc5f6fd0b7a9adb70232aed61

- Make TAP test suites to work, when @INC does not contain current dir. Recent
Perl and/or new Linux distributions are starting to remove "." from the @INC
list by default. That breaks pg_rewind and ssl test suites, which use helper
perl modules that reside in the same directory. To fix, add the current source
directory explicitly to prove's include dir. The vcregress.pl script probably
also needs something like this, but I wasn't able to remove '.' from @INC on
Windows to test this, and don't want to try doing that blindly. Discussion:
<20160908204529(dot)flg6nivjuwp5vaoy(at)alap3(dot)anarazel(dot)de>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d668b03378c28b927d0ba458681ca1b4c1e18e53

- Remove bogus mapping from UTF-8 to SJIS conversion table. 0xc19c is not a
valid UTF-8 byte sequence. It doesn't do any harm, AFAICS, but it's surely not
intentional. No backpatching though, just to be sure. In the passing, also
add a file header comment to the file, like the UCS_to_SJIS.pl script would
produce. (The file was originally created with UCS_to_SJIS.pl, but has been
modified by hand since then. That's questionable, but I'll leave fixing that
for later.) Kyotaro Horiguchi Discussion:
<20160907(dot)155050(dot)233844095(dot)horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0aec7f9aec8b828e074b8f2f3cbea2ec3e5c0209

Robert Haas pushed:

- Adjust worker_spi for 6f3bd98ebfc008cbd676da777bb0b2376c4c4bfa.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/976a1ce91008944121d0b9d2b84c9644c36f7fbb

- Remove trailing commas from enums. Buildfarm member mylodon doesn't like
them. Actually, I don't like them either, but I failed to notice these before
pushing commit 6f3bd98ebfc008cbd676da777bb0b2376c4c4bfa.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/23843dcb60f941786ab57fec804234bfadd5d17f

- Fix Windows compile break in 6f3bd98ebfc008cbd676da777bb0b2376c4c4bfa.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9445d1121d28d0a8ae32c907320b5d6ff985077b

- Fix another Windows compile break. Commit
6f3bd98ebfc008cbd676da777bb0b2376c4c4bfa is still making the buildfarm
unhappy. This time it's mastodon that is complaining.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6c9c95ed1b89add3a78d115a90e92d765b4c859a

- Rename WAIT_* constants to PG_WAIT_*. Windows apparently has a constant named
WAIT_TIMEOUT, and some of these other names are pretty generic, too. Insert
"PG_" at the front of each name in order to disambiguate. Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d2ce38e204583bc444eebffd800d492cf56e3b38

- Re-alphabetize #include directives. Thomas Munro
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/eb3bc0bd1a68e30f09f36937da5aa5338b3b994c

- Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits. WaitLatch,
WaitLatchOrSocket, and WaitEventSetWait now taken an additional
wait_event_info parameter; legal values are defined in pgstat.h. This makes
it possible to uniquely identify every point in the core code where we are
waiting for a latch; extensions can pass WAIT_EXTENSION. Because latches were
the major wait primitive not previously covered by this patch, it is now
possible to see information in pg_stat_activity on a large number of important
wait events not previously addressed, such as ClientRead, ClientWrite, and
SyncRep. Unfortunately, many of the wait events added by this patch will fail
to appear in pg_stat_activity because they're only used in background
processes which don't currently appear in pg_stat_activity. We should fix
this either by creating a separate view for such information, or else by
deciding to include them in pg_stat_activity after all. Michael Paquier and
Robert Haas, reviewed by Alexander Korotkov and Thomas Munro.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6f3bd98ebfc008cbd676da777bb0b2376c4c4bfa

- Update obsolete comments and perldoc. Loose ends from commit
2a0f89cd717ce6d49cdc47850577823682167e87. Daniel Gustafsson
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/61f9e7ba3c4e4bde887f980b9316fb818ede59b6

== Pending Patches ==

Fabien COELHO sent in a patch to allow backslash continuations in \set
expressions in pgbench.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to un-include access/heapam.h.

Michaël Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to rename pg_xlog to pg_wal
and rename pg_clog to pg_transaction.

Anastasia Lubennikova sent in two more revisions of a patch to add covering +
unique indexes.

Julien Rouhaud sent in another revision of a patch to add the parallel worker
class and change max_worker_processes default to 16 and max_parallel_workers to
8.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to add condition variables.

Thomas Munro sent in a patch to create a DSA area to provide work space for
parallel execution.

Rushabh Lathia sent in a patch to implement Gather Merge.

Michaël Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to fix hot standby
checkpoints.

Thomas Munro sent in two more revisions of a patch to add dynamic shared memory
areas.

Tomas Vondra sent in another revision of a patch to add two slab-like memory
allocators.

Takayuki Tsunakawa sent in another revision of a patch to close listen ports
earlier in the shutdown process.

Thomas Munro sent in two revisions of a patch to use DSA memory so that hash
tables can be shared by multiple backends and yet grow dynamically. Development
name: "DHT".

Etsuro Fujita sent in three more revisions of a patch to fix invalidation for
prepared statements with FDWs.

Amit Langote sent in three more revisions of a patch to implement declarative
partitioning.

Fabien COELHO sent in another revision of a patch to add more operators and
functions to pgbench.

Robert Haas sent in a patch to improve on pgrminclude / pgcompinclude.

Daniel Gustafsson sent in a WIP patch to add Secure Transport support as OpenSSL
alternative on macOS.

Vitaly Burovoy sent in a patch to fix wording in the docs on parallel queries.

Franck Verrot sent in another revision of a patch to mntion column name in error
messages.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in a patch to pass input_rel->relids to fetch_upper_rel() in
create_grouping_path().

Heikki Linnakangas sent in a patch to always use 2048 bit DH parameters for
OpenSSL ephemeral DH ciphers.

Dilip Kumar sent in a patch to implement parallel bitmap heap scan.

Pavan Deolasee sent in a patch to prevent certain types of FSM corruption.

Gilles Darold sent in another revision of a patch to implement a
pg_current_logfile() function.

Peter Geoghegan sent in another revision of a patch to add parallel tuplesort
for parallel B-Tree index creation.

Jeff Janes sent in a patch to add a pgbench transaction function.

Pavel Stěhule sent in a patch to add a parallel status to psql's \df+.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to add \setfileref to psql.