== PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 24 2016 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 24 2016 ==
Date: 2016-07-24 23:45:54
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 24 2016 ==

PostgreSQL 9.6 Beta 3 released. Test!
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/release-9-6.html

PostgreSQL Conference Europe will take place in Tallin, Estonia, on
November 1-4, 2016. The CfP is open until August 7, 2016, and early
bird registration is open until September 14th, 2016.
http://2016.pgconf.eu/registration/

== PostgreSQL Jobs for July ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2016-07/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PostgresOpen 2016 in will be held in Dallas, Texas September 13-16.
The CfP is open.
https://2016.postgresopen.org/callforpapers/

PostgreSQL Session will be held on September 22th, 2016, in Lyon,
France. The submission deadline is May 20, 2016. Send proposals to
call-for-paper AT postgresql-sessions DOT org.

PgConf Silicon Valley 2016 will be held on November 14-16, 2016.
http://www.pgconfsv.com/

CHAR(16) will take place in New York, December 6, 2016. Call for
papers is open until midnight (EDT) September 13, 2016.
http://charconference.org/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Correctly set up aggregate FILTER expression in partial-aggregation
plans. The aggfilter expression should be removed from the parent
(combining) Aggref, since it's not supposed to apply the filter, and
indeed cannot because any Vars used in the filter would not be
available after the lower-level aggregation step. Per report from
Jeff Janes. (This has been broken since the introduction of partial
aggregation, I think. The error became obvious after commit
59a3795c2, when setrefs.c began processing the parent Aggref's
fields normally and thus would detect such Vars. The special-case
coding previously used in setrefs.c skipped over the parent's
aggfilter field without processing it. That was broken in its own
way because no other setrefs.c processing got applied either; though
since the executor would not execute the filter expression, only
initialize it, that oversight might not have had any visible
symptoms at present.) Report:
<CAMkU=1xfuPf2edAe4ZGXTmJpU7jxuKukKyvNtEXwu35B7dvejg(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6d85bb1ba79c2792214df9fa17bcc8fac229c11c

- Fix regression tests to work in Welsh locale. Welsh (cy_GB)
apparently sorts 'dd' after 'f', creating problems analogous to the
odd sorting of 'aa' in Danish. Adjust regression test case to not
use data that provokes that. Jeff Janes Patch:
<CAMkU=1zx-pqcfSApL2pYDQurPOCfcYU0wJorsmY1OrYPiXRbLw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9d7abca901f855d96d823b6edb893b2b4ccf8c2f

- Remove GetUserMappingId() and GetUserMappingById(). These functions
were added in commits fbe5a3fb7 and a104a017f, but commit 45639a052
removed their only callers. Put the related code in foreign.c back
to the way it was in 9.5, to avoid pointless cross-version diffs.
Etsuro Fujita Patch:
<d674a3f1-6b63-519c-ef3f-f3188ed6a178(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/13bf801a255aaa18c43f0d17e24ffdb03a77ca31

- Make contrib regression tests safe for Danish locale. In btree_gin
and citext, avoid some not-particularly-interesting dependencies on
the sorting of 'aa'. In tsearch2, use COLLATE "C" to remove an
uninteresting dependency on locale sort order (and thereby allow
removal of a variant expected-file). Also, in citext, avoid
assuming that lower('I') = 'i'. This isn't relevant to Danish but
it does fail in Turkish.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d70d119151d8e3442500be5e372439ef8805ec2b

- Make pltcl regression tests safe for Danish locale. Another
peculiarity of Danish locale is that it has an unusual idea of how
to sort upper vs. lower case. One of the pltcl test cases has an
issue with that. Now that COLLATE works in all supported branches,
we can just change the test to be locale-independent, and get rid of
the variant expected file that used to support non-C locales.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/95810ed8ee4223cfbad257f2d5f5f7d7da60c971

- Make core regression tests safe for Danish locale. Some tests added
in 9.5 depended on 'aa' sorting before 'bb', which doesn't hold true
in Danish. Use slightly different test data to avoid the problem.
Jeff Janes Report:
<CAMkU=1w-cEDbA+XHdNb=YS_4wvZbs66Ni9KeSJKAJGNJyOsgQw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b3399cb0f68855886aa1a13a246fa5fc46e304e8

- Remove very-obsolete estimates of shmem usage from
postgresql.conf.sample. runtime.sgml used to contain a table of
estimated shared memory consumption rates for max_connections and
some other GUCs. Commit 390bfc643 removed that on the well-founded
grounds that (a) we weren't maintaining the entries well and (b) it
no longer mattered so much once we got out from under SysV shmem
limits. But it missed that there were even-more-obsolete versions
of some of those numbers in comments in postgresql.conf.sample.
Remove those too. Back-patch to 9.3 where the aforesaid commit went
in.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/79a84743096d661c6d085f40065c4b13b63acf6c

- Stamp 9.6beta3.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b11e9bbc41d1906360f1fbaab133118e703de75a

- Doc: improve discussion of plpgsql's GET DIAGNOSTICS, other minor
fixes. 9.4 added a second description of GET DIAGNOSTICS that was
totally independent of the existing one, resulting in each
description lying to the extent that it claimed the set of status
items it described was complete. Fix that, and do some minor markup
improvement. Also some other small fixes per bug #14258 from Dilian
Palauzov. Discussion:
<20160718181437(dot)1414(dot)40802(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ade64d05a0c9c77def776f64ea399697c3cd7f61

- Doc: fix table of BRIN operator strategy numbers.
brin-extensibility-inclusion-table was confused in places about the
difference between strategy 4 (RTOverRight) and strategy 5
(RTRight). Alexander Law
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/82bbfc75c1bc3338b7208f1a7664878de0d3c59b

- Remove obsolete comment. Peter Geoghegan
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/65632082b7eb3c7d56f1b42e1df452d0f66bc189

- Establish conventions about global object names used in regression
tests. To ensure that "make installcheck" can be used safely
against an existing installation, we need to be careful about what
global object names (database, role, and tablespace names) we use;
otherwise we might accidentally clobber important objects. There's
been a weak consensus that test databases should have names
including "regression", and that test role names should start with
"regress_", but we didn't have any particular rule about tablespace
names; and neither of the other rules was followed with any
consistency either. This commit moves us a long way towards having
a hard-and-fast rule that regression test databases must have names
including "regression", and that test role and tablespace names must
start with "regress_". It's not completely there because I did not
touch some test cases in rolenames.sql that test creation of special
role names like "session_user". That will require some rethinking
of exactly what we want to test, whereas the intent of this patch is
just to hit all the cases in which the needed renamings are
cosmetic. There is no enforcement mechanism in this patch either,
but if we don't add one we can expect that the tests will soon be
violating the convention again. Again, that's not such a cosmetic
change and it will require discussion. (But I did use a quick-hack
enforcement patch to find these cases.) Discussion:
<16638(dot)1468620817(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/18555b1323bd225c7882e80723c52f25ce60afed

Andres Freund pushed:

- Clear all-frozen visibilitymap status when locking tuples. Since
a892234 & fd31cd265 the visibilitymap's freeze bit is used to avoid
vacuuming the whole relation in anti-wraparound vacuums. Doing so
correctly relies on not adding xids to the heap without also
unsetting the visibilitymap flag. Tuple locking related code has
not done so. To allow selectively resetting all-frozen - to avoid
pessimizing heap_lock_tuple - allow to selectively reset the
all-frozen with visibilitymap_clear(). To avoid having to use
visibilitymap_get_status (e.g. via VM_ALL_FROZEN) inside a critical
section, have visibilitymap_clear() return whether any bits have
been reset. There's a remaining issue (denoted by XXX): After the
PageIsAllVisible() check in heap_lock_tuple() and
heap_lock_updated_tuple_rec() the page status could theoretically
change. Practically that currently seems impossible, because
updaters will hold a page level pin already. Due to the next beta
coming up, it seems better to get the required WAL magic bump done
before resolving this issue. The added flags field fields to
xl_heap_lock and xl_heap_lock_updated require bumping the WAL magic.
Since there's already been a catversion bump since the last beta,
that's not an issue. Reviewed-By: Robert Haas, Amit Kapila and
Andres Freund Author: Masahiko Sawada, heavily revised by Andres
Freund Discussion:
CAEepm=3fWAbWryVW9swHyLTY4sXVf0xbLvXqOwUoDiNCx9mBjQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
Backpatch: -
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/eca0f1db14ac92d91d54eca8eeff2d15ccd797fa

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Translation updates Source-Git-URL:
git://git.postgresql.org/git/pgtranslation/messages.git
Source-Git-Hash: 3d71988dffd3c0798a8864c55ca4b7833b48abb1
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7d676065690d5101d95a6b34797ee2a93514a7c3

Magnus Hagander pushed:

- Fix typos in comments and debug message. Antonin Houska
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/55d57359f2ebebabd0387b437c9e3ef80312582f

- Fix typos. Alexander Law
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/094ea692ee46c2af8c4d249b8fae6e4289102828

Kevin Grittner pushed:

- Add comment & docs about no vacuum truncation with sto. Omission
noted by Andres Freund.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1c15aac53f3421fd38ae145118d3204f055ba955

Robert Haas pushed:

- Remove unused structure member. Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1091402b5aa4873cf8321e204f929731765c82bc

Noah Misch pushed:

- Make the AIX case of Makefile.shlib safe for parallel make. Use our
typical approach, from src/backend/parser. Back-patch to 9.1 (all
supported versions).
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e8564ef034333c6ba6fd3d0c6ecf18214a4e988b

== Pending Patches ==

Emre Hasegeli sent another revision of the patch to fix some floating
point comparison inconsistencies of the geometric types.

Haribabu Kommi sent another revision of the patch to implement
multi-tenancy using row-based access controls.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in a patch to implement the logic to assess
whether two partitioned tables can be joined using the partition-wise
join technique described earlier.

Masahiko Sawada sent in a patch to rename file number of sync_rep.pl
to fill in a gap.

David Fetter sent in two revisions of a patch to make it possible to
disallow UPDATEs and DELETEs which include no WHERE clause.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in patches to add the reason why we use
replayEndRecPtr as recovery-end point, and fix the documentation about
pg_stop_backup.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another flock of patches in service of
asynchronous and vectorized execution.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to fix an oversight in the interaction of
marking constraints as (IN)VALID and table inheritance.

Etsuro Fujita sent in a patch to remove some lightly-used user mapping
helper functions.

Mithun Cy sent in a patch to cache the meta page of Hash index in
backend-private memory.

Anton Dignös sent in a patch to add temporal query processing with
range types.

Amit Kapila sent in a patch to fix a concurrency issue in the freeze
map code.

Thomas Munro sent in a patch to fix the problem of LWLocks not working
in DSM segments by adding a non-circular variant of the dlist
interface that uses NULL list termination.

Andrew Borodin sent in another revision of the patch to optimize
memmoves in gistplacetopage for fixed-size updates.