== PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 26 2016 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 26 2016 ==
Date: 2016-06-27 00:58:31
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 26 2016 ==

PostgreSQL 9.6 Beta 2 released. Test!
https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1677/

PGDay POA 2016 will take place in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul,
Brazil on July 14 2016 in conjunction with FISL17.
http://softwarelivre.org/fisl17/programacao/pgday-poa

PGDay Philly 2016 will be held on July 21 at Huntsman Hall at the
Wharton School and is co-located with this year's DjangoCon
https://2016.djangocon.us/. See the local Philly PostgreSQL User
Group Meetup page for more information.
http://www.meetup.com/phlpug/events/231214177/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

DB Doc 3.1, a PostgreSQL database documentation tool, released.
http://www.yohz.com/dbdoc_details.htm

Amazon RDS Postgres now supports cross-region read replicas.
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_ReadRepl.html#USER_ReadRepl.XRgn

== PostgreSQL Jobs for June ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2016-06/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

FOSS4G NA, will be held May 2-5, 2016 in Raleigh, North Carolina.
https://2016.foss4g-na.org/

PGCon 2016 will be held May 17-21, 2016 in Ottawa.
http://www.pgcon.org/

This year's Swiss PGDay will be held on June 24, 2016 at the
University of Applied Sciences in Rapperswil (Switzerland).
http://www.pgday.ch/

"5432 ... Meet us!", will take place in Milan, Italy on June 28-29, 2016.
Registration is open.
http://5432meet.us/

PG Day UK 2016 will be 5th July 2016.
http://www.pgconf.uk/

PostgresOpen 2016 in will be held in Dallas, Texas September 13-16.
The CfP is open.
https://2016.postgresopen.org/callforpapers/

PostgreSQL Session will be held on September 22th, 2016, in Lyon,
France. The submission deadline is May 20, 2016. Send proposals to
call-for-paper AT postgresql-sessions DOT org.

PgConf Silicon Valley 2016 will be held on November 14-16, 2016.
http://www.pgconfsv.com/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot) Spanish language
to pwn(at)arpug(dot)com(dot)ar(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Docs: improve description of psql's %R prompt escape sequence.
Dilian Palauzov pointed out in bug #14201 that the docs failed to
mention the possibility of %R producing '(' due to an unmatched
parenthesis. He proposed just adding that in the same style as the
other options were listed; but it seemed to me that the sentence was
already nearly unintelligible, so I rewrote it a bit more
extensively. Report:
<20160619121113(dot)5789(dot)68274(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/705ad7f3b523acae0ddfdebd270b7048b2bb8029

- Fix comparison of similarity to threshold in GIST trigram searches.
There was some very strange code here, dating to commit b525bf77,
that purported to work around an ancient gcc bug by forcing a float4
comparison to be done as int instead. Commit 5871b8848 broke that
when it changed one side of the comparison to "double" but left the
comparison code alone. Commit f576b17cd doubled down on the
weirdness by introducing a "volatile" marker, which had nothing to
do with the actual problem. Guess that the gcc bug, even if it's
still present in the wild, was triggered by comparison of float4's
and can be avoided if we store the result of cnt_sml() into a double
before comparing to the double "nlimit". This will at least work
correctly on non-broken compilers, and it's way more readable. Per
bug #14202 from Greg Navis. Add a regression test based on his
example. Report:
<20160620115321(dot)5792(dot)10766(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9c852566a3cf4ede40e22e4ca216d12cd4a27117

- pg_trgm's set_limit() function is parallel unsafe, not parallel
restricted. Per buildfarm. Fortunately, it's not quite too late to
squeeze this fix into the pg_trgm 1.3 update.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e611515dd6b8edad56baa0f3ae31ff637ca54d52

- Add missing check for malloc failure in
plpgsql_extra_checks_check_hook(). Per report from Andreas
Seltenreich. Back-patch to affected versions. Report:
<874m8nn0hv(dot)fsf(at)elite(dot)ansel(dot)ydns(dot)eu>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1fe1204e87c467221277d1789f1a530a27e15bd2

- Stamp 9.6beta2.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/936b62ddf247c26e8cc4fca34bd8a4c2e65c09fd

- Refactor planning of projection steps that don't need a Result plan
node. The original upper-planner-pathification design (commit
3fc6e2d7f5b652b4) assumed that we could always determine during Path
formation whether or not we would need a Result plan node to perform
projection of a targetlist. That turns out not to work very well,
though, because createplan.c still has some responsibilities for
choosing the specific target list associated with sorting/grouping
nodes (in particular it might choose to add resjunk columns for
sorting). We might not ever refactor that --- doing so would push
more work into Path formation, which isn't attractive --- and we
certainly won't do so for 9.6. So, while create_projection_path and
apply_projection_to_path can tell for sure what will happen if the
subpath is projection-capable, they can't tell for sure when it
isn't. This is at least a latent bug in apply_projection_to_path,
which might think it can apply a target to a non-projecting node
when the node will end up computing something different. Also, I'd
tied the creation of a ProjectionPath node to whether or not a
Result is needed, but it turns out that we sometimes need a
ProjectionPath node anyway to avoid modifying a possibly-shared
subpath node. Callers had to use create_projection_path for such
cases, and we added code to them that knew about the potential
omission of a Result node and attempted to adjust the cost estimates
for that. That was uncertainly correct and definitely
ugly/unmaintainable. To fix, have create_projection_path explicitly
check whether a Result is needed and adjust its cost estimate
accordingly, though it creates a ProjectionPath in either case.
apply_projection_to_path is now mostly just an optimized version
that can avoid creating an extra Path node when the input is known
to not be shared with any other live path. (There is one case that
create_projection_path doesn't handle, which is pushing
parallel-safe expressions below a Gather node. We could make it do
that by duplicating the GatherPath, but there seems no need as yet.)
create_projection_plan still has to recheck the tlist-match
condition, which means that if the matching situation does get
changed by createplan.c then we'll have made a slightly incorrect
cost estimate. But there seems no help for that in the near term,
and I doubt it occurs often enough, let alone would change planning
decisions often enough, to be worth stressing about. I added a
"dummypp" field to ProjectionPath to track whether
create_projection_path thinks a Result is needed. This is not
really necessary as-committed because create_projection_plan doesn't
look at the flag; but it seems like a good idea to remember what we
thought when forming the cost estimate, if only for debugging
purposes. In passing, get rid of the target_parallel parameter
added to apply_projection_to_path by commit 54f5c5150. I don't
think that's a good idea because it involves callers in what should
be an internal decision, and opens us up to missing optimization
opportunities if callers think they don't need to provide a valid
flag, as most don't. For the moment, this just costs us an extra
has_parallel_hazard call when planning a Gather. If that starts to
look expensive, I think a better solution would be to teach
PathTarget to carry/cache knowledge of parallel-safety of its
contents.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8b9d323cb9810109e3e5aab1ead427cbbb7aa77e

- Document that dependency tracking doesn't consider function bodies.
If there's anyplace in our SGML docs that explains this behavior, I
can't find it right at the moment. Add an explanation in
"Dependency Tracking" which seems like the authoritative place for
such a discussion. Per gripe from Michelle Schwan. While at it,
update this section's example of a dependency-related error message:
they last looked like that in 8.3. And remove the explanation of
dependency updates from pre-7.3 installations, which is probably no
longer worth anybody's brain cells to read. The bogus error message
example seems like an actual documentation bug, so back-patch to all
supported branches. Discussion:
<20160620160047(dot)5792(dot)49827(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/342921078a76a34fd2f44f121f225126778eb2cb

- Make "postgres -C guc" print "" not "(null)" for null-valued GUCs.
Commit 0b0baf262 et al made this case print "(null)" on the grounds
that that's what happened on platforms that didn't crash. But
neither behavior was actually intentional. What we should print is
just an empty string, for compatibility with the behavior of SHOW
and other ways of examining string GUCs. Those code paths don't
distinguish NULL from empty strings, so we should not here either.
Per gripe from Alain Radix. Like the previous patch, back-patch to
9.2 where -C option was introduced. Discussion:
<CA+YdpwxPUADrmxSD7+Td=uOshMB1KkDN7G7cf+FGmNjjxMhjbw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e45e990e4b547f05bdb46e4596d24abbaef60043

- Fix type-safety problem with parallel aggregate
serial/deserialization. The original specification for this called
for the deserialization function to have signature
"deserialize(serialtype) returns transtype", which is a security
violation if transtype is INTERNAL (which it always would be in
practice) and serialtype is not (which ditto). The patch blithely
overrode the opr_sanity check for that, which was sloppy-enough work
in itself, but the indisputable reason this cannot be allowed to
stand is that CREATE FUNCTION will reject such a signature and thus
it'd be impossible for extensions to create parallelizable
aggregates. The minimum fix to make the signature type-safe is to
add a second, dummy argument of type INTERNAL. But to lock it down
a bit more and make misuse of INTERNAL-accepting functions less
likely, let's get rid of the ability to specify a "serialtype" for
an aggregate and just say that the only useful serialtype is BYTEA
--- which, in practice, is the only interesting value anyway, due to
the usefulness of the send/recv infrastructure for this purpose.
That means we only have to allow "serialize(internal) returns bytea"
and "deserialize(bytea, internal) returns internal" as the
signatures for these support functions. In passing fix bogus
signature of int4_avg_combine, which I found thanks to adding an
opr_sanity check on combinefunc signatures. catversion bump due to
removing pg_aggregate.aggserialtype and adjusting signatures of
assorted built-in functions. David Rowley and Tom Lane Discussion:
<27247(dot)1466185504(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f8ace5477ef9731ef605f58d313c4cd1548f12d2

- Update oidjoins regression test for 9.6. Looks like we had some
more catalog drift recently.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/63ae052367c350935c3cec3e3c53a1e34a317e96

- Improve user-facing documentation for partial/parallel aggregation.
Add a section to xaggr.sgml, as we have done in the past for other
extensions to the aggregation functionality. Assorted wordsmithing
and other minor improvements. David Rowley and Tom Lane
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2d673424faf3e33c5fcca926fbe3f21e16dd0fef

- Fix small memory leak in partial-aggregate deserialization
functions. A deserialize function's result is short-lived data
during partial aggregation, since we're just going to pass it to the
combine function and then it's of no use anymore. However, the
built-in deserialize functions allocated their results in the
aggregate state context, resulting in a query-lifespan memory leak.
It's probably not possible for this to amount to anything much at
present, since the number of leaked results would only be the number
of worker processes. But it might become a problem in future. To
fix, don't use the same convenience subroutine for setting up
results that the aggregate transition functions use. David Rowley
Report: <10050(dot)1466637736(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bd1693e89e7e6c458d0563f6cc67a7c99a45251a

- Fix building of large (bigger than shared_buffers) hash indexes.
When the index is predicted to need more than NBuffers buckets,
CREATE INDEX attempts to sort the index entries by hash key before
insertion, so as to reduce thrashing. This code path got broken by
commit 9f03ca915196dfc8, which overlooked that _hash_form_tuple() is
not just an alias for index_form_tuple(). The index got built
anyway, but with garbage data, so that searches for pre-existing
tuples always failed. Fix by refactoring to separate construction
of the indexable data from calling index_form_tuple(). Per bug
#14210 from Daniel Newman. Back-patch to 9.5 where the bug was
introduced. Report:
<20160623162507(dot)17237(dot)39471(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8cf739de850f596777be14aeb430359cf59cf47c

- Simplify planner's final setup of Aggrefs for partial aggregation.
Commit e06a38965's original coding for constructing the
execution-time expression tree for a combining aggregate was rather
messy, involving duplicating quite a lot of code in setrefs.c so
that it could inject a nonstandard matching rule for Aggrefs. Get
rid of that in favor of explicitly constructing a combining Aggref
with a partial Aggref as input, then allowing setref's normal
matching logic to match the partial Aggref to the output of the
lower plan node and hence replace it with a Var. In passing, rename
and redocument make_partialgroup_input_target to have some
connection to what it actually does.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/59a3795c2589a0e6dfe4d9a886de9423b3f8b057

- Rethink node-level representation of partial-aggregation modes. The
original coding had three separate booleans representing partial
aggregation behavior, which was confusing, unreadable, and
error-prone, not least because the booleans weren't always listed in
the same order. It was also inadequate for the allegedly-desirable
future extension to support intermediate partial aggregation,
because we'd need separate markers for serialization and
deserialization in such a case. Merge these bools into an enum
"AggSplit" to provide symbolic names for the supported operating
modes (and document what those are). By assigning the values of the
enum constants carefully, we can treat AggSplit values as options
bitmasks so that tests of what to do aren't noticeably more
expensive than before. While at it, get rid of
Aggref.aggoutputtype. That's not needed since commit 59a3795c2 got
rid of setrefs.c's special-purpose Aggref comparison code, and it
likewise seemed more confusing than helpful. Assorted comment
cleanup as well (there's still more that I want to do in that line).
catversion bump for change in Aggref node contents. Should be the
last one for partial-aggregation changes. Discussion:
<29309(dot)1466699160(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/19e972d5580c655423572e3c870e47b5b7c346f6

- Avoid making a separate pass over the query to check for
partializability. It's rather silly to make a separate pass over
the tlist + HAVING qual, and a separate set of visits to the
syscache, when get_agg_clause_costs already has all the required
information in hand. This nets out as less code as well as fewer
cycles.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f1993038a4f0ce5fbeb7b562b2acd571bf6b567b

Magnus Hagander pushed:

- Add missing documentation of pg_roles.rolbypassrls. Noted by Lukas Fittl.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4d48adc2b8c9724973334345e2ab8f3e6737ac34

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Translation updates Source-Git-URL:
git://git.postgresql.org/git/pgtranslation/messages.git
Source-Git-Hash: 0c374f8d25ed31833a10d24252bc928d41438838
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/47981a4665dfc9c3808366dff9971daedba32e98

- Improve cleanup in rolenames test Drop test_schema at the end,
because that otherwise interferes with the collate.linux.utf8 test.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6a9c51810f1db08de4033cbecd95a83d7b364fd1

- psql: Improve \crosstabview error messages
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bd406af16841384b100c783a5cb36923eec6df6d

Bruce Momjian pushed:

- docs: clarify use of pg_rewind arguments. Specifically,
--source-pgdata and --source-server. Discussion:
20160617155108(dot)GC19359(at)momjian(dot)us(dot) Reviewed-by: Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3557b1791b715c6e44e1b7b4b342d1fae54e262e

- Update comment about allowing GUCs to change scanning. Reported-by:
David G. Johnston Discussion:
CAKFQuwZZvnxwSq9tNtvL+uyuDKGgV91zR_agtPxQHRWMWQRP8g(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3e9df858f0de5f1a37c71f24373caf8c870f6993

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Add tab completion for pager_min_lines to psql. This was
inadvertantly omitted from commit
7655f4ccea570d57c4d473cd66b755c03c904942. Mea culpa. Backpatched to
9.5 where pager_min_lines was introduced.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/562e44972490196884452e632a0a6d0db81b2335

Robert Haas pushed:

- postgres_fdw: Remove useless return statement. Etsuro Fujita
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/267569b24c1782b756cad46ffc8e9b28988e7385

- postgres_fdw: Fix incorrect NULL handling in join pushdown.
something.* IS NOT NULL means that every attribute of the row is not
NULL, not that the row itself is non-NULL (e.g. because it's coming
from below an outer join. Use (somevar.*)::pg_catalog.text IS NOT
NULL instead. Ashutosh Bapat, per a report by Rushabh Lathia.
Reviewed by Amit Langote and Etsuro Fujita. Schema-qualification
added by me.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9e9c38e15947f4f3ed478f8b70e74b55e31fe950

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Fix handling of multixacts predating pg_upgrade. After pg_upgrade,
it is possible that some tuples' Xmax have multixacts corresponding
to the old installation; such multixacts cannot have running members
anymore. In many code sites we already know not to read them and
clobber them silently, but at least when VACUUM tries to freeze a
multixact or determine whether one needs freezing, there's an
attempt to resolve it to its member transactions by calling
GetMultiXactIdMembers, and if the multixact value is "in the future"
with regards to the current valid multixact range, an error like
this is raised: ERROR: MultiXactId 123 has not been created yet --
apparent wraparound and vacuuming fails. Per discussion with Andrew
Gierth, it is completely bogus to try to resolve multixacts coming
from before a pg_upgrade, regardless of where they stand with
regards to the current valid multixact range. It's possible to get
from under this problem by doing SELECT FOR UPDATE of the problem
tuples, but if tables are large, this is slow and tedious, so a more
thorough solution is desirable. To fix, we realize that multixacts
in xmax created in 9.2 and previous have a specific bit pattern that
is never used in 9.3 and later (we already knew this, per comments
and infomask tests sprinkled in various places, but we weren't
leveraging this knowledge appropriately). Whenever the infomask of
the tuple matches that bit pattern, we just ignore the multixact
completely as if Xmax wasn't set; or, in the case of tuple freezing,
we act as if an unwanted value is set and clobber it without
decoding. This guarantees that no errors will be raised, and that
the values will be progressively removed until all tables are clean.
Most callers of GetMultiXactIdMembers are patched to recognize
directly that the value is a removable "empty" multixact and avoid
calling GetMultiXactIdMembers altogether. To avoid changing the
signature of GetMultiXactIdMembers() in back branches, we keep the
"allow_old" boolean flag but rename it to "from_pgupgrade"; if the
flag is true, we always return an empty set instead of looking up
the multixact. (I suppose we could remove the argument in the
master branch, but I chose not to do so in this commit). This was
broken all along, but the error-facing message appeared first
because of commit 8e9a16ab8f7f and was partially fixed in
a25c2b7c4db3. This fix, backpatched all the way back to 9.3, goes
approximately in the same direction as a25c2b7c4db3 but should cover
all cases. Bug analysis by Andrew Gierth and Álvaro Herrera. A
number of public reports match this bug:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140330040029.GY4582@tamriel.snowman.net
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/538F3D70.6080902@publicrelay.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/556439CF.7070109@pscs.co.uk
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/SG2PR06MB0760098A111C88E31BD4D96FB3540@SG2PR06MB0760.apcprd06.prod.outlook.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160615203829.5798.4594@wrigleys.postgresql.org
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e3ad3ffa68193dd889a9cea9d840bf4613bd680b

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

No one was disappointed this week :-)

== Pending Patches ==

Andreas Karlsson sent in another revision of a patch to tag extension
functions with their parallel safety status.

Paul A Jungwirth sent in another revision of a patch to add GiST
support for UUIDs.

Michaël Paquier sent in three revisions of a patch to add conninfo to
the pg_stat_wal_receiver view.

Muhammad Asif Naeem sent in another revision of a patch to add an
EMERGENCY option to VACUUM.

Etsuro Fujita sent in a patch to remove an unnecessary return from
deparseFromExprForRel in contrib/postgres_fdw/deparse.c.

Teodor Sigaev sent in another revision of a patch to change the
precedence of to |, &, <->, | , and simplifies a bit a code around
printing and parsing of tsquery.

Amit Langote and Ashutosh Bapat traded patches to fix an issue where
whole-row references got a wrong result in foreign join pushdowns.

Bruce Momjian sent in a patch to remove references to UT1 from the
documentation.

Michaël Paquier sent in two revisions of a patch to fix the
documentation for pg_visibility.

Michaël Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to fix an issue
where pg_backup from a disconnected standby fails.

SAWADA Masahiko sent in a patch to fix a mismatch between a comment
and function argument names in bugmgr.

Peter Geoghegan sent in a patch to remove some dead code in
tuplesort.c

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to ensure that in Win32 with debugging
turned on, it always produces crashdumps.

David Rowley sent in a patch to refactor the representation of partial
aggregate steps.

David Rowley sent in a patch to fix a bug in citext's upgrade script
for parallel aggregates.

Julien Rouhaud sent in another revision of a patch to add a
global_max_parallel_workers GUC.

Piotr Stefaniak sent in some improvements to pg_bsd_indent.

Piotr Stefaniak sent in a patch to make some cosmetic improvements
around shm_mq and test_shm_mq.