== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 29 2015 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 29 2015 ==
Date: 2015-11-30 04:13:15
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 29 2015 ==

PostgreSQL 9.5 Beta 2 released.
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1625/

PostgreSQL 9.6devel RPMs are available for testers. Please use only
for crash testing.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1447660638.4285.45.camel@gunduz.org
http://yum.PostgreSQL.org

FOSDEM PGDay is a one day conference that will be held ahead of FOSDEM in
Brussels, Belgium, on Jan 29th, 2016. Details and CfP below:
http://fosdem2016.pgconf.eu/

Prague PostgreSQL Developer Day 2016 (P2D2 2016) is a two-day conference
that will be held on February 17-18 2016 in Prague, Czech Republic.
Czech language web site below:
http://www.p2d2.cz/

The first pan-Asian PostgreSQL conference will be held March 2016 in
Singapore. The CfP is open.
http://2016.pgday.asia/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

barman 1.5.1, a backup and recovery manager for PostgreSQL, released.
http://www.pgbarman.org/barman-1-5-1-released/

== PostgreSQL Jobs for November ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2015-11/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PGConf Silicon Valley 2015 is November 17-18 at the South San
Francisco Convention Center.
http://www.pgconfsv.com

PGBR2015 (The Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference) will take place in Porto
Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, on November 18, 19 and 20. Registration is
open.
http://pgbr.postgresql.org.br/2015/en/

Postgres Conference China 2015 will be on November 20-22, 2015 in
Beijing.
http://postgres2015.eventdove.com/ (Chinese)
http://postgrescluster2015.eventdove.com/ (English)

PGConf.DE will be held on November 26-27, 2015 in Hamburg, Germany, at
the Lindner Hotel am Michel.
http://2015.pgconf.de/

PostgreSQL(at)SCaLE is a two day, two track event which takes place on Jan.
21-22, 2016, at Pasadena Convention Center, as part of SCaLE 14X.
The CfP is open until Oct 30, 2015.
https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/cfp

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot) Spanish language
to pwn(at)arpug(dot)com(dot)ar(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Speed up ruleutils' name de-duplication code, and fix
overlength-name case. Since commit
11e131854f8231a21613f834c40fe9d046926387, ruleutils.c has attempted
to ensure that each RTE in a query or plan tree has a unique alias
name. However, the code that was added for this could be quite
slow, even as bad as O(N^3) if N identical RTE names must be
replaced, as noted by Jeff Janes. Improve matters by building a
transient hash table within set_rtable_names. The hash table in
itself reduces the cost of detecting a duplicate from O(N) to O(1),
and we can save another factor of N by storing the number of
de-duplicated names already created for each entry, so that we don't
have to re-try names already created. This way is probably a bit
slower overall for small range tables, but almost by definition,
such cases should not be a performance problem. In principle the
same problem applies to the column-name-de-duplication code; but in
practice that seems to be less of a problem, first because N is
limited since we don't support extremely wide tables, and second
because duplicate column names within an RTE are fairly rare, so
that in practice the cost is more like O(N^2) not O(N^3). It would
be very much messier to fix the column-name code, so for now I've
left that alone. An independent problem in the same area was that
the de-duplication code paid no attention to the identifier length
limit, and would happily produce identifiers that were longer than
NAMEDATALEN and wouldn't be unique after truncation to NAMEDATALEN.
This could result in dump/reload failures, or perhaps even views
that silently behaved differently than before. We can fix that by
shortening the base name as needed. Fix it for both the relation
and column name cases. In passing, check for interrupts in
set_rtable_names, just in case it's still slow enough to be an
issue. Back-patch to 9.3 where this code was introduced.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8004953b5a2449c26c4e082771276b2f8629d153

- Fix possible internal overflow in numeric division. div_var_fast()
postpones propagating carries in the same way as mul_var(), so it
has the same corner-case overflow risk we fixed in 246693e5ae8a36f0,
namely that the size of the carries has to be accounted for when
setting the threshold for executing a carry propagation step. We've
not devised a test case illustrating the brokenness, but the
required fix seems clear enough. Like the previous fix, back-patch
to all active branches. Dean Rasheed
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5f10b7a604c87fc61a2c20a56552301f74c9bd5f

- Accept flex > 2.5.x in configure. Per buildfarm member anchovy,
2.6.0 exists in the wild now. Hopefully it works with Postgres; if
not, we'll have to do something about that, but in any case claiming
it's "too old" is pretty silly.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/32f15d05c80044335f97347b5406f6736c06a033

- Fix thinko: errmsg -> ereport. Silly mistake in my commit
09cecdf285ea9f51, reported by Erik Rijkers. The fact that the
buildfarm didn't find this implies that we are not testing Perl
builds that lack MULTIPLICITY, which is a bit disturbing from a
coverage standpoint. Until today I'd have said nobody cared about
such configurations anymore; but maybe not.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9be3a4e24dc777e31f6358907ebefac841ea2632

- Dodge a macro-name conflict with Perl. Some versions of Perl export
a macro named HS_KEY. This creates a conflict in
contrib/hstore_plperl against hstore's macro of the same name. The
most future-proof solution seems to be to rename our macro; I chose
HSTORE_KEY. For consistency, rename HS_VAL and related macros
similarly. Back-patch to 9.5. contrib/hstore_plperl doesn't exist
before that so there is no need to worry about the conflict in older
releases. Per reports from Marco Atzeri and Mike Blackwell.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/68c1d7d42e553682f1d2723e623b6a3a4b02c75f

- Fix handling of inherited check constraints in ALTER COLUMN TYPE
(again). The previous way of reconstructing check constraints was
to do a separate "ALTER TABLE ONLY tab ADD CONSTRAINT" for each
table in an inheritance hierarchy. However, that way has no hope of
reconstructing the check constraints' own inheritance properties
correctly, as pointed out in bug #13779 from Jan Dirk Zijlstra.
What we should do instead is to do a regular "ALTER TABLE", allowing
recursion, at the topmost table that has a particular constraint,
and then suppress the work queue entries for inherited instances of
the constraint. Annoyingly, we'd tried to fix this behavior before,
in commit 5ed6546cf, but we failed to notice that it wasn't
reconstructing the pg_constraint field values correctly. As long as
I'm touching pg_get_constraintdef_worker anyway, tweak it to always
schema-qualify the target table name; this seems like useful backup
to the protections installed by commit 5f173040. In HEAD/9.5, get
rid of get_constraint_relation_oids, which is now unused. (I could
alternatively have modified it to also return conislocal, but that
seemed like a pretty single-purpose API, so let's not pretend it has
some other use.) It's unused in the back branches as well, but I
left it in place just in case some third-party code has decided to
use it. In HEAD/9.5, also rename pg_get_constraintdef_string to
pg_get_constraintdef_command, as the previous name did nothing to
explain what that entry point did differently from others (and its
comment was equally useless). Again, that change doesn't seem like
material for back-patching. I did a bit of re-pgindenting in
tablecmds.c in HEAD/9.5, as well. Otherwise, back-patch to all
supported branches.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/074c5cfbfb4923158be9ccdb77420d6522d77538

- Adopt the GNU convention for handling tar-archive members exceeding
8GB. The POSIX standard for tar headers requires archive member
sizes to be printed in octal with at most 11 digits, limiting the
representable file size to 8GB. However, GNU tar and apparently
most other modern tars support a convention in which oversized
values can be stored in base-256, allowing any practical file to be
a tar member. Adopt this convention to remove two limitations: *
pg_dump with -Ft output format failed if the contents of any one
table exceeded 8GB. * pg_basebackup failed if the data directory
contained any file exceeding 8GB. (This would be a fatal problem
for installations configured with a table segment size of 8GB or
more, and it has also been seen to fail when large core dump files
exist in the data directory.) File sizes under 8GB are still printed
in octal, so that no compatibility issues are created except in
cases that would have failed entirely before. In addition, this
patch fixes several bugs in the same area: * In 9.3 and later, we'd
defined tarCreateHeader's file-size argument as size_t, which meant
that on 32-bit machines it would write a corrupt tar header for file
sizes between 4GB and 8GB, even though no error was raised. This
broke both "pg_dump -Ft" and pg_basebackup for such cases. *
pg_restore from a tar archive would fail on tables of size between
4GB and 8GB, on machines where either "size_t" or "unsigned long" is
32 bits. This happened even with an archive file not affected by
the previous bug. * pg_basebackup would fail if there were files of
size between 4GB and 8GB, even on 64-bit machines. * In 9.3 and
later, "pg_basebackup -Ft" failed entirely, for any file size, on
64-bit big-endian machines. In view of these potential data-loss
bugs, back-patch to all supported branches, even though removal of
the documented 8GB limit might otherwise be considered a new feature
rather than a bug fix.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/00cdd83521cfdaaff0f566ebeadecc2cad4d51cf

- Improve div_var_fast(), mostly by making comments better. The
integer overflow situation in div_var_fast() is a great deal more
complicated than the pre-existing comments would suggest. Moreover,
the comments were also flat out incorrect as to the precise
statement of the maxdiv loop invariant. Upon clarifying that, it
becomes apparent that the way in which we updated maxdiv after a
carry propagation pass was overly slow, complex, and conservative:
we can just reset it to one, which is much easier and also reduces
the number of times carry propagation occurs. Fix that and improve
the relevant comments. Since this is mostly a comment fix, with
only a rather marginal performance boost, no need for back-patch.
Tom Lane and Dean Rasheed
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/46166197c3b3748c3266c694d7c2f5a312ea928e

- Be more paranoid about null return values from libpq status
functions. PQhost() can return NULL in non-error situations, namely
when a Unix-socket connection has been selected by default. That
behavior is a tad debatable perhaps, but for the moment we should
make sure that psql copes with it. Unfortunately, do_connect()
failed to: it could pass a NULL pointer to strcmp(), resulting in
crashes on most platforms. This was reported as a security issue by
ChenQin of Topsec Security Team, but the consensus of the security
list is that it's just a garden-variety bug with no security
implications. For paranoia's sake, I made the keep_password test
not trust PQuser or PQport either, even though I believe those will
never return NULL given a valid PGconn. Back-patch to all supported
branches.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c5ef8ce53d37e276d70593ff0f4b06dd119cd3ff

- Fix failure to consider failure cases in GetComboCommandId().
Failure to initially palloc the comboCids array, or to realloc it
bigger when needed, left combocid's data structures in an
inconsistent state that would cause trouble if the top transaction
continues to execute. Noted while examining a user complaint about
the amount of memory used for this. (There's not much we can do
about that, but it does point up that repalloc failure has a
non-negligible chance of occurring here.) In HEAD/9.5, also avoid
possible invocation of memcpy() with a null pointer in
SerializeComboCIDState; cf commit 13bba0227.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0da3a9bef7ad36dc640aebf2d0482e18f21561f6

- Improve PQhost() to return useful data for default Unix-socket
connections. Previously, if no host information had been specified
at connection time, PQhost() would return NULL (unless you are on
Windows, in which case you got "localhost"). This is an unhelpful
definition for a couple of reasons: it can cause corner-case crashes
in applications (cf commit c5ef8ce53d), and there's no well-defined
way for applications to find out the socket directory path that's
actually in use. As an example of the latter problem, psql
substituted DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR for NULL in a couple of places, but
this is subtly wrong because it's conceivable that psql is using a
libpq shared library that was built with a different setting.
Hence, change PQhost() to return DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR when
appropriate, and strip out the now-dead substitutions in psql.
(There is still one remaining reference to DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR in
psql, in prompt.c, which I don't see a nice way to get rid of. But
it only controls a prompt abbreviation decision, so it seems
noncritical.) Also update the docs for PQhost, which had never
previously mentioned the possibility of a socket directory path
being returned. In passing fix the outright-incorrect code comment
about PGconn.pgunixsocket.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/40cb21f70b4ef2721c38be6628298fb21fa7d2d2

- Auto-generate file header comments in Unicode mapping files. Some
of the Unicode/*.map files had identification comments added to
them, evidently by hand. Others did not. Modify the generating
scripts to produce these comments automatically, and update the
generated files that lacked them. This is just minor cleanup as a
by-product of trying to verify that the *.map files can indeed be
reproduced from authoritative data. There are a depressingly large
number that fail to reproduce from the claimed sources. I have not
touched those in this commit, except for the JIS 2004-related files
which required only a single comment update to match. Since this
only affects comments, no need to consider a back-patch.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e17dab53ea301031bf41d27e0799b940484c7bb0

- Update UCS_to_GB18030.pl with info about origin of the reference
file.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5afdfc9cbb29ffc6f6b557a06495672d3c09f688

- Avoid doing encoding conversions by double-conversion via
MULE_INTERNAL. Previously, we did many conversions for Cyrillic and
Central European single-byte encodings by converting to a related
MULE_INTERNAL coding scheme before converting to the destination.
This seems unnecessarily inefficient. Moreover, if the conversion
encounters an untranslatable character, the error message will
confusingly complain about failure to convert to or from
MULE_INTERNAL, rather than the user-visible encodings. Worse still,
this approach results in some completely unnecessary conversion
failures; there are cases where the chosen MULE subset lacks
characters that exist in both of the user-visible encodings, causing
a conversion failure that need not occur. This patch fixes the
first two of those deficiencies by introducing a new local2local()
conversion support subroutine for direct conversion between any two
single-byte character sets, and adding new conversion tables where
needed. However, I generated the new conversion tables by testing
PG 9.5's behavior, so that the actual conversion behavior is
bug-compatible with previous releases; the only user-visible
behavior change is that the error messages for conversion failures
are saner. Changes in the conversion behavior will probably ensue
after discussion. Interestingly, although this approach requires
more tables, the .so files actually end up smaller (at least on my
x86_64 machine); the tables are smaller than the management code
needed for double conversion. Per a complaint from Albe Laurenz.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8d32717b6bfaeda5b88b338dae728b47da19f4bb

Robert Haas pushed:

- Remove volatile qualifiers from bufmgr.c and freelist.c. Prior to
commit 0709b7ee72e4bc71ad07b7120acd117265ab51d0, access to variables
within a spinlock-protected critical section had to be done through
a volatile pointer, but that should no longer be necessary. Review
by Andres Freund
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e93b62985f9c69dcb6f0747450809fff64b78a6e

- Fix dumb bug in tqueue.c. When I wrote this code originally, the
intention was to recompute the remapinfo only when the tupledesc
changes. This presumably only happens once per query, but I copied
the design pattern from other DestReceivers. However, due to a
silly oversight on my part, tqueue->tupledesc never got set, leading
to recomputation for every tuple. This should improve the
performance of parallel scans that return a significant number of
tuples. Report by Amit Kapila; patch by me, reviewed by him.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/adeee974866085db84b860c1f397dd7c6b136a0a

- Avoid aggregating worker instrumentation multiple times. Amit
Kapila, per design ideas from me.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/166b61a88ef8e9fb97eba7b7ab8062e214c93af8

- Make a comment more precise. Remote expressions now also matter to
make_foreignscan() Noted by Etsuro Fujita.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e073490457176805bc31b8f7c7829ce1b71a6e76

- Fix incomplete set_foreignscan_references handling for
fdw_recheck_quals KaiGai Kohei
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7907a949abf100b5a1e1def1184ba1e6fc8b9fd7

- Make ALTER .. SET SCHEMA do nothing, instead of throwing an ERROR.
This was already true for CREATE EXTENSION, but historically has not
been true for other object types. Therefore, this is a backward
incompatibility. Per discussion on pgsql-hackers, everyone seems to
agree that the new behavior is better. Marti Raudsepp, reviewed by
Haribabu Kommi and myself
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bc4996e61b98d41eacf991c18508b7a2305a68c6

- Remove numbers from incorrectly-numbered list. Reported by Andres
Freund.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fea2b642fdb1bbe0f4b1bd0a763c370dfc6fb97c

- Fix typo in comment. Amit Langote
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/74d0d5f3ebed9d817ec353fb17eedb343a0ab5b4

- Avoid server crash when worker registration fails at execution time.
The previous coding attempts to destroy the DSM in this case, but
child nodes might have stored data there and still be holding onto
pointers in this case. So don't do that. Also, free the reader
array instead of leaking it. Extracted from two different patch
versions both by Amit Kapila.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6c878a7553680579f287e4659592c0b874fb2377

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- doc: Fix commas and improve spacing
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/53264c7b1e0c9be7bc05289372265c768869f818

- Improve message
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5be5b5029f26b1723382bac185fcfa993a763234

- Message style fix from Euler Taveira
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c5ec4064120c12c7b8cd4772d0b9f571f5dd40b4

- Message improvements
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5db837d3f22960c2fdc11b390ecf3984b3e0c49e

- doc: Clarify some things on pg_receivexlog reference page
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/db135e834a28180e9151f12c694b07d8fc3c41a8

- doc: Add more documentation about wal_retrieve_retry_interval from
Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2ef7a985fb9077aabeb480a23732c4d6ddb89ce5

- doc: Some improvements on CREATE POLICY and ALTER POLICY
documentation
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cbd96eff251bf92e88a13ef00df07c6caae0d411

Andres Freund pushed:

- Remove function names from some elog() calls in heapam.c. At least
one of the names was, due to a function renaming late in the
development of ON CONFLICT, wrong. Since including function names in
error messages is against the message style guide anyway, remove
them from the messages. Discussion:
CAM3SWZT8paz=usgMVHm0XOETkQvzjRtAUthATnmaHQQY0obnGw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
Backpatch: 9.5, where ON CONFLICT was introduced
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d3c8ac114f1183e54315e64ef697c6588823c4dd

- Improve ON CONFLICT documentation. Author: Peter Geoghegan and
Andres Freund. Discussion:
CAM3SWZScpWzQ-7EJC77vwqzZ1GO8GNmURQ1QqDQ3wRn7AbW1Cg(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
Backpatch: 9.5, where ON CONFLICT was introduced
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/edf68b2ed51cb8a1c9fdf7eb13f9b2c883eb5399

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Improve vcregress.pl's handling of tap tests for client programs The
target is now named 'bincheck' rather than 'tapcheck' so that it
reflects what is checked instead of the test mechanism. Some of the
logic is improved, making it easier to add further sets of TAP based
tests in future. Also, the environment setting logic is imrpoved.
As discussed on -hackers a couple of months ago.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d835dd6685246f0737ca42ab68242210681bb220

- Update docs for vcregress.pl bincheck changes
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c2d5657c0f6f8ae9894205551354eca796f8b11c

- fix a perl typo
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f11c557e92c50d3d613d1173c15feb5310ba4744

Teodor Sigaev pushed:

- Clarify pg_rewind connection requirements. Per
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/564C4CE6(dot)9000509(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d00352573a1d5cf685397d5776c36b625c3f0c79

- Add forgotten file in commit
d6061f83a166b015657fda8623c704fcb86930e9
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0271e27c1089f104236a7fe3b3fca52e5359ae56

- Improve pageinspect module. Now pageinspect can show data stored in
the heap tuple. Nikolay Shaplov
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d6061f83a166b015657fda8623c704fcb86930e9

- COPY (INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE .. RETURNING ..) Attached is a patch for
being able to do COPY (query) without a CTE. Author: Marko Tiikkaja
Review: Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/92e38182d7c8947a4ebbc1123b44f1245e232e85

Bruce Momjian pushed:

- pg_upgrade: fix CopyFile() on Windows to fail on file existence
Also fix getErrorText() to return the right error string on failure.
This behavior now matches that of other operating systems. Report
by Noah Misch Backpatch through 9.1
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/13b30c16f3164ee70599adee251256bd069fa0e4

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

No one was disappointed this week :-)

== Pending Patches ==

Álvaro Herrera sent in a patch to improve cost estimates for BRIN

Álvaro Herrera sent in a patch to fix some misbehavior of the
max_worker_processes GUC on standbys.

Peter Geoghegan sent in a patch to speed up CREATE INDEX
CONCURRENTLY's TID sort.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to improve the documentation of
floating point conversion for PL/pgsql.

Amit Kapila sent in two more revisions of a patch to speed up CLOG
access.

Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch to play nicer with systemd.

Vitaly Burovoy sent in another revision of a patch to make fields
extracted from 'infinity' timestamp[tz]s sane.

Victor Wagner sent in another revision of a patch to implement
failover on the libpq connect level.

Amit Kapila sent in a patch to fix ExecParallelFinish() to be
idempotent.

Ildus Kurbangaliev sent in two revisions of a patch to slice bufmgr
into tranches similar to the way LWLocks are.

Robert Haas sent in a patch to tighten up how database names get
checked for in pg_basebackup.

Nikolay Shaplov sent in two more revisions of a patch to add tuple
data inspection to pageinspect.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in two revisions of a patch to add backend
regexp processing to psql's tab completion implementation.

Ashutosh Bapat and Rushabh Lathia traded patches to get sorted data
from a foreign server for merge join purposes.

SAWADA Masahiko sent in four more revisions of a patch to add a
"frozen" bit to the visibility map.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to add "causal
reads."

Marko Tiikkaja sent in a patch to add a scale(numeric) function.

Marko Tiikkaja sent in a patch to add a trim(numeric) function.

Marko Tiikkaja sent in a PoC patch to implement "LISTEN *".

Amit Kapila sent in two revisions of a patch to fix an issue in
parallel seq scan with parallel worker allocation.

Michael Paquier and Stephen Frost traded patches to add new default
roles.

Robert Haas sent in another revision of a patch to implement parallel
append.

Nikolay Shaplov sent in a patch to add a TAP test example.

Craig Ringer sent in another revision of a patch to implement
pg_logical, a general-purpose logical output plugin.

Marko Tiikkaja sent in two more revisions of a patch to add a
num_nulls() function.

Marko Tiikkaja sent in another revision of a patch to add a
single_value() aggregate.

Taiki Kondo and Kyotaro HORIGUCHI traded patches to improve query
performance by doing join pushdowns to table partitions.

Michael Paquier sent in two more revisions of a patch to add a
dedicated WAL record forcing fsync().

Andreas Karlsson sent in another revision of a patch to cause a SIGHUP
sent to the backend to reload SSL certificates.

Amit Langote sent in two revisions of a patch to fix some comments in
nodeGather.c.

Haribabu Kommi sent in another revision of a patch to add a
pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to add a custom
function for converting human readable sizes to bytes.

Michael Paquier and Álvaro Herrera traded patches to add in-core
regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.

David Steele sent in a patch to enable client log output filtering.

Catalin Iacob sent in a patch to update the docs for the case when
psql is given multiple -c commands.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to implement
multiple -c commands in psql.

Robert Haas sent in a patch to allow the optimizer to generate plans
where a Nested Loop or Hash Join appears below a Gather node and
improve the output of EXPLAIN when parallel workers are used.

Magnus Hagander and Michael Paquier traded patches to initialize more
parts of the walsnd structure.

Kaigai Kouhei sent in a patch to adds a Path *fdw_outerpath field to
the ForeignPath node.

Dean Rasheed sent in another revision of a patch to add trig functions
which take degrees as input.

Dmitry Ivanov sent in a patch to add a dump_stat extension which, as
implied in the name, allows dumping the contents of pg_statistic in a
form that lets it be reloaded.

Peter Geoghegan sent in a patch to ensure that GatherPath is within
print_path(). Not having it there prevented complete information from
appearing when using OPTIMIZER_DEBUG.

Tomas Vondra sent in some patches to fix a possible issue with fsync()
not actually being issued at the appropriate times.

Noah Misch sent in a patch to clarify some comments in
src/backend/access/transam/multixact.c.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to add an ereport()
function to PL/PythonU.

Peter Geoghegan sent in a patch to abort C collation text abbreviation
less frequently.