== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 24 2015 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 24 2015 ==
Date: 2015-05-24 23:08:20
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 24 2015 ==

PostgreSQL 9.4.2, 9.3.7, 9.2.11, 9.1.16, and 9.0.20 security and bug fix releases
are out. Upgrade ASAP.
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1587/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

MJSQLView Version 7.02, a Java-based UI which supports PostgreSQL, released.
http://dandymadeproductions.com/projects/MyJSQLView/

== PostgreSQL Jobs for May ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2015-05/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PGDay in Belfort, France will be held June 2, 2015.
http://select-2-6-2015-as-pgday.org

PGCon 2015 is June 16-20 in Ottawa, Canada.
http://www.pgcon.org/2015/

The second Swiss Postgres Conference will be held June 25-26, 2015 at
HSR Rapperswil.
http://www.postgres-conference.ch/

PGDay UK, Conference will be taking place on 7th July 2015 – it is aimed at
the UK PostgreSQL Community. The CfP is open until 13 April 2015.
http://www.postgresqlusergroup.org.uk

PGDay Campinas 2015 will take place in Campinas on August 7.
The CfP is open through May 31.
http://pgdaycampinas.com.br/english/

The Call For Papers for PostgresOpen 2015, being held in Dallas, Texas
from September 16th to 18th, is now open.
http://2015.postgresopen.org/callforpapers/

The CfP for PostgreSQL Session #7, September 24th, 2015 in Paris,
France, is open until June 15, 2015. call-for-paper <AT>
postgresql-sessions <DOT> org.
http://www.postgresql-sessions.org/7/about

PostgreSQL Conference Europe 2015 will be held on October 27-30 in the
Vienna Marriott Hotel, in Vienna, Austria. The CfP is open until
August 7.
http://2015.pgconf.eu/

PGConf Silicon Valley 2015 is November 17-18 at the South San
Francisco Convention Center. The CfP is open through June 15.
http://www.pgconfsv.com

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot) Spanish language
to pwn(at)arpug(dot)com(dot)ar(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Use += not = to set makefile variables after including base
makefiles. The previous coding in hstore_plpython and
ltree_plpython wiped out any values set by the base makefiles. This
at least had the effect of running the tests in "regression" not
"contrib_regression" as expected. These being pretty new modules,
there might be other bad effects we'd not noticed yet.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b14cf229f4bd7238be2e31d873dc5dd241d3871e

- Fix failure to copy IndexScan.indexorderbyops in copyfuncs.c. This
oversight results in a crash at executor startup if the plan has
been copied. outfuncs.c was missed as well. While we could
probably have taught both those files to cope with the originally
chosen representation of an Oid array, it would have been painful,
not least because there'd be no easy way to verify the array length.
An Oid List is far easier to work with. And AFAICS, there is no
particular notational benefit to using an array rather than a list
in the existing parts of the patch either. So just change it to a
list. Error in commit 35fcb1b3d038a501f3f4c87c05630095abaaadab,
which is new, so no need for back-patch.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/424661913c06af76a46fdff9cc24cc57abf14fb3

- Recognize "REGRESS_OPTS += ..." syntax in MSVC build scripts.
Necessitated by commit b14cf229f4bd7238be2e31d873dc5dd241d3871e.
Per buildfarm.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f5916bb7b53f8a77c95c00c5b287659958891178

- Put back a backwards-compatible version of sampling support
functions. Commit 83e176ec18d2a91dbea1d0d1bd94c38dc47cd77c removed
the longstanding support functions for block sampling without any
consideration of the impact this would have on third-party FDWs.
The new API is not notably more functional for FDWs than the old, so
forcing them to change doesn't seem like a good thing. We can
provide the old API as a wrapper (more or less) around the new one
for a minimal amount of extra code.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4db485e75b9672126963ae4052b50f473b30a097

- Revert "Change pg_seclabel.provider and pg_shseclabel.provider to
type "name"." This reverts commit
b82a7be603f1811a0a707b53c62de6d5d9431740. There is a better (less
invasive) way to fix it, which I will commit next.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/afee04352bc01b79cde33c018a82c2eeb1ce84eb

- Avoid collation dependence in indexes of system catalogs. No index
in template0 should have collation-dependent ordering, especially
not indexes on shared catalogs. For most textual columns we avoid
this issue by using type "name" (which sorts per strcmp()). However
there are a few indexed columns that we'd prefer to use "text" for,
and for that, the default opclass text_ops is unsafe. Fortunately,
text_pattern_ops is safe (it sorts per memcmp()), and it has no real
functional disadvantage for our purposes. So change the indexes on
pg_seclabel.provider and pg_shseclabel.provider to use
text_pattern_ops. In passing, also mark
pg_replication_origin.roname as using text_pattern_ops --- for some
reason it was labeled varchar_pattern_ops which is just wrong, even
though it accidentally worked. Add regression test queries to catch
future errors of these kinds. We still can't do anything about the
misdeclared pg_seclabel and pg_shseclabel indexes in back branches
:-(
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0b28ea79c044a0d3779081dc909a6dc0ce93b991

- Change pg_seclabel.provider and pg_shseclabel.provider to type
"name". These were "text", but that's a bad idea because it has
collation-dependent ordering. No index in template0 should have
collation-dependent ordering, especially not indexes on shared
catalogs. There was general agreement that provider names don't
need to be longer than other identifiers, so we can fix this at a
small waste of table space by changing from text to name. There's
no way to fix the problem in the back branches, but we can hope that
security labels don't yet have widespread-enough usage to make it
urgent to fix. There needs to be a regression sanity test to
prevent us from making this same mistake again; but before putting
that in, we'll need to get rid of similar brain fade in the
recently-added pg_replication_origin catalog. Note: for lack of a
suitable testing environment, I've not really exercised this change.
I trust the buildfarm will show up any mistakes.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b82a7be603f1811a0a707b53c62de6d5d9431740

- Another typo fix. In the spirit of the season.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a6a66bd647d471aeb55d8ba3e24d197ccd8a5abb

- Improve packing/alignment annotation for ItemPointerData. We want
this struct to be exactly a series of 3 int16 words, no more and no
less. Historically, at least, some ARM compilers preferred to pad
it to 8 bytes unless coerced. Our old way of doing that was just to
use __attribute__((packed)), but as pointed out by Piotr Stefaniak,
that does too much: it also licenses the compiler to give the struct
only byte-alignment. We don't want that because it adds access
overhead, possibly quite significant overhead. According to the GCC
manual, what we want requires also specifying
__attribute__((align(2))). It's not entirely clear if all the
relevant compilers accept this pragma as well, but we can hope the
buildfarm will tell us if not. We can also add a static assertion
that should fire if the compiler padded the struct. Since the
combination of these pragmas should define exactly what we want on
any compiler that accepts them, let's try using them wherever we
think they exist, not only for __arm__. (This is likely to expose
that the conditional definitions in c.h are inadequate, but finding
that out would be a good thing.) The immediate motivation for this
is that the current definition of ExecRowMark allows its curCtid
field to be misaligned. It is not clear whether there are any other
uses of ItemPointerData with a similar hazard. We could change the
definition of ExecRowMark if this doesn't work, but it would be far
better to have a future-proof fix. Piotr Stefaniak, some further
hacking by me
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d4b538ea367de43b2f2b939621272682417cd290

- More fixes for lossy-GiST-distance-functions patch. Paul Ramsey
reported that commit 35fcb1b3d038a501f3f4c87c05630095abaaadab
induced a core dump on commuted ORDER BY expressions, because it was
assuming that the indexorderby expression could be found verbatim in
the relevant equivalence class, but it wasn't there. We really
don't need anything that complicated anyway; for the data types
likely to be used for index ORDER BY operators in the foreseeable
future, the exprType() of the ORDER BY expression will serve fine.
(The case where we'd have to work harder is where the ORDER BY
expression's result is only binary-compatible with the declared
input type of the ordering operator; long before worrying about
that, one would need to get rid of GiST's hard-wired assumption that
said datatype is float8.) Aside from fixing that crash and adding a
regression test for the case, I did some desultory code review:
nodeIndexscan.c was likewise overthinking how hard it ought to work
to identify the datatype of the ORDER BY expressions. Add comments
explaining how come nodeIndexscan.c can get away with simplifying
assumptions about NULLS LAST ordering and no backward scan. Revert
no-longer-needed changes of find_ec_member_for_tle(); while the new
definition was no worse than the old, it wasn't better either, and
it might cause back-patching pain. Revert entirely bogus additions
to genam.h.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c5dd8ead403f85bd041590d2e3e79b72830472d4

- Fix recently-introduced crash in array_contain_compare(). Silly
oversight in commit 1dc5ebc9077ab742079ce5dac9a6664248d42916: when
array2 is an expanded array, it might have array2->xpn.dnulls equal
to NULL, indicating the array is known null-free. The code wasn't
expecting that, because it formerly always used deconstruct_array()
which always delivers a nulls array. Per bug #13334 from Regina
Obe.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/49ad32d5d99cb4a79bf648c0b7f9eca19b54cf1d

- Last-minute updates for release notes. Add entries for security
issues. Security: CVE-2015-3165 through CVE-2015-3167
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/19d47ed2da1e4d08ffab7e8ba1b1c4c614e7f296

- Last-minute updates for release notes. Revise description of
CVE-2015-3166, in line with scaled-back patch. Change release date.
Security: CVE-2015-3166
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5cb8519ceb62516636362a7e8e06b99b3e1bf138

- Revert error-throwing wrappers for the printf family of functions.
This reverts commit 16304a013432931e61e623c8d85e9fe24709d9ba, except
for its changes in src/port/snprintf.c; as well as commit
cac18a76bb6b08f1ecc2a85e46c9d2ab82dd9d23 which is no longer needed.
Fujii Masao reported that the previous commit caused failures in
psql on OS X, since if one exits the pager program early while
viewing a query result, psql sees an EPIPE error from fprintf ---
and the wrapper function thought that was reason to panic. (It's a
bit surprising that the same does not happen on Linux.) Further
discussion among the security list concluded that the risk of other
such failures was far too great, and that the one-size-fits-all
approach to error handling embodied in the previous patch is
unlikely to be workable. This leaves us again exposed to the
possibility of the type of failure envisioned in CVE-2015-3166.
However, that failure mode is strictly hypothetical at this point:
there is no concrete reason to believe that an attacker could
trigger information disclosure through the supposed mechanism. In
the first place, the attack surface is fairly limited, since so much
of what the backend does with format strings goes through
stringinfo.c or psprintf(), and those already had adequate defenses.
In the second place, even granting that an unprivileged attacker
could control the occurrence of ENOMEM with some precision, it's a
stretch to believe that he could induce it just where the target
buffer contains some valuable information. So we concluded that the
risk of non-hypothetical problems induced by the patch greatly
outweighs the security risks. We will therefore revert, and instead
undertake closer analysis to identify specific calls that may need
hardening, rather than attempt a universal solution. We have kept
the portion of the previous patch that improved snprintf.c's
handling of errors when it calls the platform's sprintf(). That
seems to be an unalloyed improvement. Security: CVE-2015-3166
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0c071936e94c6859afb2ec8d2c8dddf7bcdab7ee

- Still more fixes for lossy-GiST-distance-functions patch. Fix
confusion in documentation, substantial memory leakage if float8 or
float4 are pass-by-reference, and assorted comments that were
obsoleted by commit 98edd617f3b62a02cb2df9b418fcc4ece45c7ec0.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/821b821a2421beaa58225ff000833df69fb962c5

- Fix incorrect snprintf() limit. Typo in commit 7cbee7c0a. No
practical effect since the buffer should never actually be overrun,
but various compilers and static analyzers will whine about it.
Petr Jelinek
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/72809480d658fbc0654239b2f089991c077c676a

- Add error check for lossy distance functions in index-only scans.
Maybe we should actually support this, but for the moment let's just
throw an error if the opclass tries it.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f84c8601d604811a530dadb53ddb52f08639e72b

- Remove no-longer-required function declarations. Remove a bunch of
"extern Datum foo(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);" declarations that are no
longer needed now that PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(foo) provides that. Some
of these were evidently missed in commit e7128e8dbb305059, but
others were cargo-culted in in code added since then. Possibly that
can be blamed in part on the fact that we'd not fixed relevant
documentation examples, which I've now done.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/91e79260f636ab4d5a43910b6a38bc75651ad14c

- Add a bit more commentary about regex's colormap tree data
structure. Per an off-list question from Piotr Stefaniak.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/23116d5437d0e8d077e7fd5391f5fa0fc781b7d2

- Rename pg_shdepend.c's typedef "objectType" to
SharedDependencyObjectType. The name objectType is widely used as a
field name, and it's pure luck that this conflict has not caused
pgindent to go crazy before. It messed up pg_audit.c pretty good
though. Since pg_shdepend.c doesn't export this typedef and only
uses it in three places, changing that seems saner than changing the
field usages. Back-patch because we're contemplating using the
union of all branch typedefs for future pgindent runs, so this won't
fix anything if it stays the same in back branches.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/17b48a1a9f87f7479d38dcc78a27c23f1f8124f8

- Manual cleanup of pgindent results. Fix some places where pgindent
did silly stuff, often because project style wasn't followed to
begin with. (I've not touched the atomics headers, though.)
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2aa0476dc38f7e510b8cde627e83b4c76fa05d61

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Add new files to nls.mk
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/382b479ab7b4afb0d661ee24104d418758dc2a36

- Fix parse tree of DROP TRANSFORM and COMMENT ON TRANSFORM. The
plain C string language name needs to be wrapped in makeString() so
that the parse tree is copyable. This is detectable by
-DCOPY_PARSE_PLAN_TREES. Add a test case for the COMMENT case.
Also make the quoting in the error messages more consistent.
discovered by Tom Lane
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0779f2ba2db6787259f3ea82f999e08552724218

- Message string improvements
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/55c0da38be611899ae6d185b72b5ffcadc9d78c9

Fujii Masao pushed:

- Don't classify REINDEX command as DDL in the pg_audit doc. The
commit a936743 changed the class of REINDEX but forgot to update the
doc.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d773b55713e44b7d4a67411b09e1f21f195b420f

- Correct the names of pgstattuple_approx output columns in the doc.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cad3708960ef2da237b93f835d706197f16e5492

- Make recovery_target_action = pause work. Previously even if
recovery_target_action was set to pause and the recovery target was
reached, the recovery could never be paused. Because the setting of
pause was *always* overridden with that of shutdown unexpectedly.
This override is valid and intentional if hot_standby is not enabled
because there is no way to resume the paused recovery in this case
and the setting of pause is completely useless. But not if
hot_standby is enabled. This patch changes the code so that the
setting of pause is overridden with that of shutdown only when
hot_standby is not enabled. Bug reported by Andres Freund
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/85d0e661aae656d3ec710dab24f883c4b4ef90da

- Minor enhancement of readability of ALTER TABLE syntax in the doc.
Fabrízio Mello
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6d1733fa90a3f8037c7c815ed6ab4d97c295e525

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- Put back stats-collector restarting code, removed accidentally.
Removed that code snippet accidentally in the archive_mode='always'
patch. Also, use varname-tags for archive_command in the docs.
Fujii Masao
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4df132895016c6a99355776a8df284ff011a2e94

- Fix typo in comment. Jim Nasby
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8cc7a4c5fdbe43b9b16b4cf3e07c8115107a8d4e

- Fix off-by-one error in Assertion. The point of the assertion is to
ensure that the arrays allocated in stack are large enough, but the
check was one item short. This won't matter in practice because
MaxIndexTuplesPerPage is an overestimate, so you can't have that
many items on a page in reality. But let's be tidy. Spotted by
Anastasia Lubennikova. Backpatch to all supported versions, like the
patch that added the assertion.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b48437d11b9389d724c037385a5cae824d4f8049

- Collection of typo fixes. Use "a" and "an" correctly, mostly in
comments. Two error messages were also fixed (they were just elogs,
so no translation work required). Two function comments in pg_proc.h
were also fixed. Etsuro Fujita reported one of these, but I found a
lot more with grep. Also fix a few other typos spotted while
grepping for the a/an typos. For example, "consists out of ..." ->
"consists of ...". Plus a "though"/ "through" mixup reported by
Euler Taveira. Many of these typos were in old code, which would be
nice to backpatch to make future backpatching easier. But much of
the code was new, and I didn't feel like crafting separate patches
for each branch. So no backpatching.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4fc72cc7bb9d2105261b8ee45558af50d788cd19

- Fix more typos in comments. Patch by CharSyam, plus a few more I
spotted with grep.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fa60fb63e511e7bbcf57ce972338711593a5e7c9

- At promotion, don't leave behind a partial segment on the old
timeline. With commit de768844, a copy of the partial segment was
archived with the .partial suffix, but the original file was still
left in pg_xlog, so it didn't actually solve the problems with
archiving the partial segment that it was supposed to solve. With
this patch, the partial segment is renamed rather than copied, so we
only archive it with the .partial suffix. Also be more robust in
detecting if the last segment is already being archived. Previously
I used XLogArchiveIsBusy() for that, but that's not quite right.
With archive_mode='always', there might be a .ready file for it, and
we don't want to rename it to .partial in that case. The old
segment is needed until we're fully committed to the new timeline,
i.e. until we've written the end-of-recovery WAL record and updated
the min recovery point and timeline in the control file. So move the
renaming later in the startup sequence, after all that's been done.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7cbee7c0a1db668c60c020a3fd1e3234daa562a9

Noah Misch pushed:

- Permit use of vsprintf() in PostgreSQL code. The next commit needs
it. Back-patch to 9.0 (all supported versions).
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cac18a76bb6b08f1ecc2a85e46c9d2ab82dd9d23

- Check return values of sensitive system library calls. PostgreSQL
already checked the vast majority of these, missing this handful
that nearly cannot fail. If putenv() failed with ENOMEM in
pg_GSS_recvauth(), authentication would proceed with the wrong
keytab file. If strftime() returned zero in cache_locale_time(),
using the unspecified buffer contents could lead to information
exposure or a crash. Back-patch to 9.0 (all supported versions).
Other unchecked calls to these functions, especially those in
frontend code, pose negligible security concern. This patch does
not address them. Nonetheless, it is always better to check return
values whose specification provides for indicating an error. In
passing, fix an off-by-one error in strftime_win32()'s invocation of
WideCharToMultiByte(). Upon retrieving a value of exactly
MAX_L10N_DATA bytes, strftime_win32() would overrun the caller's
buffer by one byte. MAX_L10N_DATA is chosen to exceed the length of
every possible value, so the vulnerable scenario probably does not
arise. Security: CVE-2015-3166
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fd97bd411d1da45b79e63c2124741f8e82cc5a5c

- Prevent a double free by not reentering be_tls_close(). Reentering
this function with the right timing caused a double free, typically
crashing the backend. By synchronizing a disconnection with the
authentication timeout, an unauthenticated attacker could achieve
this somewhat consistently. Call be_tls_close() solely from within
proc_exit_prepare(). Back-patch to 9.0 (all supported versions).
Benkocs Norbert Attila Security: CVE-2015-3165
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b0ce385032d72d6acf1e330f733013553fe6affe

- pgcrypto: Report errant decryption as "Wrong key or corrupt data".
This has been the predominant outcome. When the output of
decrypting with a wrong key coincidentally resembled an OpenPGP
packet header, pgcrypto could instead report "Corrupt data", "Not
text data" or "Unsupported compression algorithm". The distinct
"Corrupt data" message added no value. The latter two error
messages misled when the decrypted payload also exhibited
fundamental integrity problems. Worse, error message variance in
other systems has enabled cryptologic attacks; see RFC 4880 section
"14. Security Considerations". Whether these pgcrypto behaviors are
likewise exploitable is unknown. In passing, document that pgcrypto
does not resist side-channel attacks. Back-patch to 9.0 (all
supported versions). Security: CVE-2015-3167
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/85270ac7a24a50d43ba4bd4d7af1e28b14dee7ee

- Add error-throwing wrappers for the printf family of functions. All
known standard library implementations of these functions can fail
with ENOMEM. A caller neglecting to check for failure would
experience missing output, information exposure, or a crash. Check
return values within wrappers and code, currently just snprintf.c,
that bypasses the wrappers. The wrappers do not return after an
error, so their callers need not check. Back-patch to 9.0 (all
supported versions). Popular free software standard library
implementations do take pains to bypass malloc() in simple cases,
but they risk ENOMEM for floating point numbers, positional
arguments, large field widths, and large precisions. No
specification demands such caution, so this commit regards every
call to a printf family function as a potential threat. Injecting
the wrappers implicitly is a compromise between patch scope and
design goals. I would prefer to edit each call site to name a
wrapper explicitly. libpq and the ECPG libraries would, ideally,
convey errors to the caller rather than abort(). All that would be
painfully invasive for a back-patched security fix, hence this
compromise. Security: CVE-2015-3166
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/16304a013432931e61e623c8d85e9fe24709d9ba

Robert Haas pushed:

- Fix error message in pre_sync_fname. The old one didn't include %m
anywhere, and required extra translation. Report by Peter
Eisentraut. Fix by me. Review by Tom Lane.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/922de19ef25e559b1a7ad5c583ee4439e53cae98

- Correct two mistakes in the ALTER FOREIGN TABLE reference page.
Etsuro Fujita
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/160a9aaabf400106232e7e6fce0966ee5fdf84e2

Andres Freund pushed:

- Attach ON CONFLICT SET ... WHERE to the correct planstate. The
previous coding was a leftover from attempting to hang all the on
conflict logic onto modify table's child nodes. It appears to not
have actually caused problems except for explain. Add test
exercising the broken and some other code paths. Author: Peter
Geoghegan and Andres Freund
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e4942f7a56efcfaabed5db7bde29ee21bef2f6e2

- Various fixes around ON CONFLICT for rule deparsing. Neither the
deparsing of the new alias for INSERT's target table, nor of the
inference clause was supported. Also fixup a typo in an error
message. Add regression tests to test those code paths. Author:
Peter Geoghegan
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9bc77c45199c7d2e525cd5b1457d5a57f6e9edb0

- Refactor ON CONFLICT index inference parse tree representation.
Defer lookup of opfamily and input type of a of a user specified
opclass until the optimizer selects among available unique indexes;
and store the opclass in the parse analyzed tree instead. The
primary reason for doing this is that for rule deparsing it's easier
to use the opclass than the previous representation. While at it
also rename a variable in the inference code to better fit it's
purpose. This is separate from the actual fixes for deparsing to
make review easier.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0740cbd7593d871858c352fab29a59cf7fa54b00

- Remove the new UPSERT command tag and use INSERT instead.
Previously, INSERT with ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE specified used a new
command tag -- UPSERT. It was introduced out of concern that INSERT
as a command tag would be a misrepresentation for ON CONFLICT DO
UPDATE, as some affected rows may actually have been updated.
Alvaro Herrera noticed that the implementation of that new command
tag was incomplete; in subsequent discussion we concluded that
having it doesn't provide benefits that are in line with the
compatibility breaks it requires. Catversion bump due to the
removal of PlannedStmt->isUpsert. Author: Peter Geoghegan
Discussion: 20150520215816(dot)GI5885(at)postgresql(dot)org
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/631d7490074cdaef8026db57a5f2772b8730f600

- Fix yet another bug in ON CONFLICT rule deparsing. Expand testing
of rule deparsing a good bit, it's evidently needed. Author: Peter
Geoghegan, Andres Freund Discussion:
CAM3SWZQmXxZhQC32QVEOTYfNXJBJ_Q2SDENL7BV14Cq-zL0FLg(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/284bef297733e553c73f1c858e0ce1532f754d18

Simon Riggs pushed:

- Fix spelling in comment
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f6a54fefc299b933052885bb0532c476d382cc71

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Unpack jbvBinary objects passed to pushJsonbValue pushJsonbValue was
accepting jbvBinary objects passed as WJB_ELEM or WJB_VALUE data.
While this succeeded, when those objects were later encountered in
attempting to convert the result to Jsonb, errors occurred. With
this change we ghuarantee that a JSonbValue constructed from calls
to pushJsonbValue does not contain any jbvBinary objects. This
cures a problem observed with jsonb_delete. This means callers of
pushJsonbValue no longer need to perform this unpacking themselves.
A subsequent patch will perform some cleanup in that area. The
error was not triggered by any 9.4 code, but this is a publicly
visible routine, and so the error could be exercised by third party
code, therefore backpatch to 9.4. Bug report from Peter Geoghegan,
fix by me.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5302760a50332a684e35b9865ff47ff5fd4970c2

Bruce Momjian pushed:

- Improve pgindent instructions regarding Perl backup files
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/58affdfb88a7705df477f0cfc0710bf638ccd3e9

- Update typedef file in preparation for pgindent run
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/225892552bd3052982d2b97b749e5945ea71facc

- pgindent run for 9.5
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/807b9e0dff663c5da875af7907a5106c0ff90673

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

No one was disappointed this week :-)

== Pending Patches ==

Álvaro Herrera sent in another revision of a patch to fix some
infelicities with MultiXact in recovery.

Uriy Zhuravlev sent in a patch to implement ALTER OPERATOR.

John Gorman sent in a patch to preserve errno across errmsg() calls.

Joshua Drake sent in a doc patch for backups.

Jim Nasby sent in another revision of a patch to add an optional
parameter to the pg_*_backend functions which allows skipping the
backend making the call.

Jeff Janes sent in a patch to fix max WAL size in recovery.

Alexander Shulgin sent in a patch to generalize the JSON-producing
functions in utils/adt/json.c and to provide a set of callbacks which
can be overridden the same way that is already provided for parsing
JSON.

Andrew Gierth sent in a patch to change the type of GROUPING() from
int4 to int8.

Robert Haas sent in another revision of a patch to allow assessing
parallel safety.

Alexander Shulgin sent in another revision of a patch to add a
--strict-include parameter to pg_dump.

Andrew Dunstan sent in a patch to rename jsonb_replace to jsonb_set
with a boolean create_missing flag that defaults to false.

Amit Kapila sent in another revision of a patch to implement parallel
seq scan.

Pavel Stehule sent in a patch to allow SET ROLE TO to tab-complete in
psql, just as SET ROLE now does.

Fabrízio de Royes Mello sent in a patch to fix some spacing in the
ALTER TABLE documentation.

CharSyam sent in a patch to change magic constants to DEFINE value for
readability.

Noah Misch sent in a patch to fix some tar name issues.

Fabien COELHO sent in another revision of a patch to extend pgbench
expressions with functions.

Petr Korobeinikov sent in another revision of a patch to add support
for \ev viewname and \sv viewname to psql.