Re: Minmax indexes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minmax indexes
Date: 2014-08-14 23:02:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> > I'm sure this still needs some cleanup, but here's the patch, based
> > on your v14. Now that I know what this approach looks like, I still
> > like it much better. The insert and update code is somewhat more
> > complicated, because you have to be careful to lock the old page,
> > new page, and revmap page in the right order. But it's not too bad,
> > and it gets rid of all the complexity in vacuum.
>
> It seems there is some issue here, because pageinspect tells me the
> index is not growing properly for some reason. minmax_revmap_data gives
> me this array of TIDs after a bunch of insert/vacuum/delete/ etc:

I fixed this issue, and did a lot more rework and bugfixing. Here's
v15, based on v14-heikki2.

I think remaining issues are mostly minimal (pageinspect should output
block number alongside each tuple, now that we have it, for example.)

I haven't tested the new xlog records yet.

Attachment Content-Type Size
minmax-15.patch text/x-diff 194.1 KB