Re: What is the relationship between checkpoint and wal

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: 高健 <luckyjackgao(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What is the relationship between checkpoint and wal
Date: 2013-08-23 03:30:09
Lists: pgsql-general

高健 escribió:

> Checkpoints are fairly expensive, first because they require writing out
> all currently dirty buffers, and second because they result in extra
> subsequent WAL traffic as discussed above.
>
> What confused me is that: (checkpoint)result in extra subsequent WAL
> traffic as discussed above...
>
> I haven't found any more information can describe it in the "above" of that
> page.

It means that the first change following the checkpoint that affects any
particular page will require a full page image of that page to be
written to WAL. See the discussion in the preceding paragraph about
"full_page_writes". It's not the checkpoint itself that writes this
extra WAL, but the rest of the system.