Re: Should we remove "not fast" promotion at all?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomonari Katsumata <t(dot)katsumata1122(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomonari Katsumata <katsumata(dot)tomonari(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we remove "not fast" promotion at all?
Date: 2013-08-08 16:50:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 01:27:35PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Why are we suddenly trying to make this even more complicated? It's too
> > late to redesign stuff without very good evidence that it's
> > needed. Renaming trigger files and changing their format certainly
> > doesn't seem appropriate post-beta.
> >
> > Let's just leave this as is, and remove the code in 9.4/9.5.
> Sorry. I should have been clearer. I meant that for 9.4~ only. For 9.3
> yes it's too late.

We seem to be all over the map with the fast promotion code --- some
people don't trust it, some people want an option to enable the old
method, and some people want the old method removed.

This has left us in an odd situation where we are going to ship 9.3
old-method code with no way to enable it in case we need it. Adding the
ability to enable it in 9.4 makes no sense --- effectively, if we need
the old promotion code, we are going to have to enable it in a 9.3 minor
release, while if we get to 9.4 final without needing it, we can assume
the fast promotion code is good and we don't need the old code.

I think a prudent plan would be to remove the old promotion code just
before 9.4 beta as we would know by then that the code is no longer
needed. I have added this as a 9.4 open item:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.4_Open_Items

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com