Re: FDW for PostgreSQL

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>,Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>,Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FDW for PostgreSQL
Date: 2013-03-28 12:38:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom, all,

> Another thing I was wondering about, but did not change, is that if we're
> having the remote transaction inherit the local transaction's isolation
> level, shouldn't it inherit the READ ONLY property as well?

Apologies for bringing this up pretty late, but wrt writable FDW
transaction levels, I was *really* hoping that we'd be able to implement
autonomous transactions on top of writeable FDWs.  It looks like there's
no way to do this using the postgres_fdw due to it COMMIT'ing only when
the client transaction commits.  Would it be possible to have a simply
function which could be called to say "commit the transaction on the
foreign side for this server/table/connection/whatever"?  A nice
addition on top of that would be able to define 'auto-commit' for a
given table or server.

I'll try and find time to work on this, but I'd love feedback on if this
is possible and where the landmines are.

	Thanks,

		Stephen