Re: Problem with pgAdmin and Server Status encode

From: "Jan-Peter Seifert" <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, manuel(dot)fernandez(at)joyeriavirgendelrocio(dot)com
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with pgAdmin and Server Status encode
Date: 2013-03-04 13:43:20
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:56:50 +0100
> Von: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
> An: "Manuel Fdez (JVR)" <manuel(dot)fernandez(at)joyeriavirgendelrocio(dot)com>
> CC: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] Problem with pgAdmin and Server Status encode

> Well, I don't know spanish but I can guess what this message says. You
> have multiple encodings on your logs, and pgadmin doesn't like that at
> all. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. PostgreSQL only puts
> UTF8 strings in it, but if it has to output SQL queries (because you
> asked it to do so or because there are errors on these queries), they
> may contain non-UTF8 characters.

I suspect that the problem is on the server's side.
On Windows ( Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit ) the default German 'locale' for UTF8 set by the 'One click installer' is "German_Germany.1252".

So instead of 'autovacuum launcher shutting down' 'Autovacuum-Launcher fährt herunter' is being logged. The problem is that the ä (ae) is not encoded in UTF8 ( just one byte ). Maybe the reason is that the encoding of code page 1252 is in fact just a one byte encoding and no conversion is being done?

I checked this on Ubuntu and although the locale is "de_DE.utf8" everywhere, the messages in the logs were all in English ...
So I use "lc_messages = 'C'" as recommended elsewhere on the list.

With best regards,

Peter